Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A matter of interpretation.

Could not open library file "/users/albert/Downloads/ad844.cir"

... normally means that it can't find it, and therefor, cannot open it. It is connected to how Windows does these things. LTspice issues a request to Windows 'open ad844.cir' and Windows comes back with 'can't open ...' if it can't find it.

That file name/path should be the same as the name referred to in the symbol. It is easy to check: copy file ad844.cir on your schematic page, that will make sure LTspice can find it. If you then still have the same error (and I expect you will) it is a matter of naming.

To fix it: place the symbol on your schematic. Right-click it, select Attribute|Edit attribute. You will see the file name to the .cir file. Check if that path/filename is correct, if not edit it, and save the symbol.

Delete the symbol on your schematic (which still has the wrong path) and place it again.

Jan

Last edited:
A matter of interpretation.

Could not open library file "/users/albert/Downloads/ad844.cir"

... normally means that it can't find it, and therefor, cannot open it. It is connected to how Windows does these things. LTspice issues a request to Windows 'open ad844.cir' and Windows comes back with 'can't open ...' if it can't find it.

That file name/path should be the same as the name referred to in the symbol. It is easy to check: copy file ad844.cir on your schematic page, that will make sure LTspice can find it. If you then still have the same error (and I expect you will) it is a matter of naming.

To fix it: place the symbol on your schematic. Right-click it, select Attribute|Edit attribute. You will see the file name to the .cir file. Check if that path/filename is correct, if not edit it, and save the symbol.
Delete the symbol on your schematic (which still has the wrong path) and place it again.

Jan
Thanks, it now works with the .cir as spice directive
And redrawing helped!
I have macos which is more difficult than windows.

Last edited:
Yep, the circuit acts and shows me the filter compensation effect of pin 5!
Here used as RIAA, [can be used for other filters too].

The circuit comes from LC Audio. I will try to get the .5 dB blob away here in Spice. The trick for now is using the input cap that is needed anyway as pole.
Note:
the amplifier input is at pin 5 of the AD844, not at pin 2 or pin 3 as we would expect in a classical opamp circuit. This is NOT an opamp circuit, even though some might say, 'what the hec' (Jan Didden) :rolleyes:
Thanks (didn't get the opamp/ad844-c to behave proberly, I'm so stupid)

Attachments

• RIAA AD844.asc
    6.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Attachments

• AD844_riaa.jpg
    AD844_riaa.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 171
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
the amplifier input is at pin 5 of the AD844, not at pin 2 or pin 3 as we would expect in a classical opamp circuit. This is NOT an opamp circuit, even though some might say, 'what the hec' (Jan Didden)

This is a quote from a complete different design out of context. Here the AD844 was used not as an amplifier block but as an error correction block.

Jan

Thanks (didn't get the opamp/ad844-c to behave proberly, I'm so stupid)

This is almost certainly my fault. In my earlier posts I carelessly referred to "pin-out" when I meant to say "pin order." The "pin order" has to match between the symbol and its subcircuit but of course the actual pin-out on the physical device can be (and usually is) different.

Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

This is a quote from a complete different design out of context. Here the AD844 was used not as an amplifier block but as an error correction block.

Jan

Jan, I know it is a different context but I just liked it a lot. Just a bit of play with words and ideas. It points to the special status of this device. No words enough to show that (translated from Dutch, you understand).

Ray: Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.
I got it to work just like the other circuit, but after the posting. It is great too.

Hans, this is great, wow, 135 Hz bump down to 21 mdB!, And yes, tailor the gain with R4 till it matches line level, in my case a Hiraga/Kanéda preamp used 'flat'. What I like about the approach using the AD844 is the 'isolation' of the circuit from any loading on the output and absence I expect of slew rate distortion (harshness).

Last edited:
Hi All

I have never that problem but now I see error log is grayed out and can not plot the harmonic distortion.

Maybe I did something wrong, I did set the plot data on delete after close program, aii, I go look at that.

As I thought! Now I remember it was caused there, I did set a other (bigger) save drive for these plot data,
but then it refuses to open error plot, maybe a bug?

regards

Attachments

• ahhh.jpg
    ahhh.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 199
  • ampdistortion.jpg
    ampdistortion.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Kees, with all due respect, every time something doesn't go like you want you say: 'maybe a bug?'. How many bugs did you have so far? ;-)

How can you plot anything if you delete the file? Did you look whether the file is still there when you try to plot?

Jan

Non, because the last one was away with a update. This one is some strange why I mention this, if I choose a other directory then the error log is graying out, that was the question not these before because can shure be a bug.

I had contakt with the program author past year he was thankfully because the bugs are found by me when the 64 bit version was just come out and did crash a lot.

b
Non, because the last one was away with a update. This one is some strange why I mention this, if I choose a other directory then the error log is graying out, that was the question not these before because can shure be a bug.

I had contakt with the program author past year he was thankfully because the bugs are found by me when the 64 bit version was just come out and did crash a lot.

Greyed out error log appeared here some days ago...
But the error log had been created and I could read it with an external text editor. Maybe my wine installation was rotten - meanwhile I did a fresh install of LMDE4, removed all wine parts delivered by LMDE and installed winehq following their instruction. Downloaded LTSpiceIV again, opened with wine and installed LTSpice freshly. Problem solved;)

Last edited:
As a sidenote: Since my migration to LMDE4 the program "codeblocks" terminated compilation of c-code with an error message referring to a library I never invoked. For further investigations I set up a dual boot LMDE3 and LMDE4 with a common home partition. Booting from LMDE3 everything works fine, booting from LMDE4 fails, using exactly the same user data. I am using Linux for 20yrs now and at first I could not believe it - but in this case I am pretty sure the fault is not sitting in front of the screen.

b

Greyed out error log appeared here some days ago...
But the error log had been created and I could read it with an external text editor. Maybe my wine installation was rotten - meanwhile I did a fresh install of LMDE4, removed all wine parts delivered by LMDE and installed winehq following their instruction. Downloaded LTSpiceIV again, opened with wine and installed LTSpice freshly. Problem solved;)

Did you have change the pad where the files get written? if that is ticked then it is grayed out, I do not now why , but untick making it much easier to read in ltspice itself.

Attachments

• ahhh.jpg
    ahhh.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
It make no sense, normally you can set up a directory, I did this because the need of a bigger disk, I did get errors and crashes because the hardisk was full, so I did use the other hardisk where no windows resides, but then error log is grayed out, as I say it make no sense why it is grayed out.

Yes Mooly when updating you get afresh install, after that I do set it up to a other disk, but now because of that error I did put it back.

regards

It is really a problem in LT spice, I had simulate for 80 mS, and did happy go on, I did stop the simulation and yes, it did crash.

All the files we do load are normally remembered bij ltspice, if it crash all is gone.

So I did reinstall the older one and not update it, So I am curious of it still happen, Afcourse the present version is first uninstalled.

regards