• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now DSD works again! Plugged the USB cable in and out a few times and turned the power on and off a few times :scratch:. I do suspect it is the controller that is at fault. Quanghao - is it possible for you to send me another controller (a standard one with cable) ? I can still use mine to power up the DAC as the power is wired up to the relay on the controller. If my unplug my current controller and plug in the one you send, I can confirm if it is the controller that is at fault. Shall order a programmer as well in case my firmware needs updating.

could you try to change the flat cable ?

Not easy for me to change the cable. Haven't got a spare one and would be difficult to access. I can't dismantle it due to the relays and power to the standby transformer. That is why I wanted to try with a replacement controller and cable. If that doesn't work and the amanero is confirmed ok, I might have to return the DAC to quanghao. Very expensive option, though.

Not easy for me to change the cable. Haven't got a spare one and would be difficult to access. I can't dismantle it due to the relays and power to the standby transformer. That is why I wanted to try with a replacement controller and cable. If that doesn't work and the amanero is confirmed ok, I might have to return the DAC to quanghao. Very expensive option, though.

Before change the controller try to solder the wires of flat cable to the controller

If you remove the screws of front panel it is very esy to do it without detach the controller from front panel

Hi Audiodesign,

3) Someone - can confirm solved ?
problem: spdif does not work with some non standard sources
solution: try to eliminate the 75ohm and add a capacitor after the input transformer.

please add your problem

Problem solved for me.
Up to 192kHz locked with 1uF cap and without 75ohm, before only locked up to 48kHz.
Tested with RME 24/192kHz soundcard optical out.

PS: fantastic sound in V mode with your "Amplifier End" and Focal 826v or Harbeth p3es2 loudspeakers. :D

many thanks Andrea!!!

Before change the controller try to solder the wires of flat cable to the controller

If you remove the screws of front panel it is very esy to do it without detach the controller from front panel

I understand. Trouble is, I don't get a lot of time to tinker. That is why I went for a complete DAC to use and then play with at my leisure. The cable and connectors look physically ok. I was simply wanting to test a "standard" display and controller and flat cable just in case the standby mod has had an unfortunate side effect. Can I send my amanero to you to check? If the amanero and controller are both testing ok then it must be the DAC itself.

I have tested using both jriver and hqplayer on linux. In both, DSD tracks play with distortion. No sound at all with PCM. PCM tracks play with distortion when played as DSD. The PCM tracks lock everytime. But, the sample rate is correct only when switching from DSD to PCM but always incorrect PCM to PCM. This suggests that the switching within the controller or es9018 is incorrect? The flat cable must be ok. As for the intermittent problems with lock I think the problem might be the USB connector on the amanero? But that does not explain why there is no trouble recognising the amanero. The header pin connector might be too short?

Hi Audiodesign,

Problem solved for me.
Up to 192kHz locked with 1uF cap and without 75ohm, before only locked up to 48kHz.
Tested with RME 24/192kHz soundcard optical out.

PS: fantastic sound in V mode with your "Amplifier End" and Focal 826v or Harbeth p3es2 loudspeakers. :D

many thanks Andrea!!!

Finally someone has succeeded in fixing the SPDIF in. Will try later.:D

Is there a jumper for power supply on the controller / display. Just wondering if my controller is getting power from both the separate 6V transfo for standby AND the DAC board when powered on. Not sure if this was asked before but is there a pin-out for the controller header on the DAC board. If there isn't a jumper, I am thinking of disconnecting the power from the DAC to the controller (by building a temporary adapter cable with power disconnected) to see if it solves my problems. Also, I am sure it has been asked before but I cannot seem to find order codes for the header connectors.

Is there a jumper for power supply on the controller / display. Just wondering if my controller is getting power from both the separate 6V transfo for standby AND the DAC board when powered on. Not sure if this was asked before but is there a pin-out for the controller header on the DAC board. If there isn't a jumper, I am thinking of disconnecting the power from the DAC to the controller (by building a temporary adapter cable with power disconnected) to see if it solves my problems. Also, I am sure it has been asked before but I cannot seem to find order codes for the header connectors.

you must not change the connection, your DAC is special!

listen to me! I will try to do for you!

persons with still opened problems

This is the list, please add your problem:

1) Erlend Sæterdal
problem: lcd does not work
solution: the lcd controller module will be replaced

2) masterkey, bertchai, smoothquark
problem: no work with usb input
solution: masterley have sent to me the DAC module and Amanero module to make a test, the other persons can have the same problem so please wait my test

3) misterwolf , Halook [SOLVED]
solution: eliminate the 75ohm and add a 1uF capacitor after the input transformer (cut the pcb jump).

4) MattMax - [tested ?]
probem: tweeters of my loudspeakers emit a hissing sound when the DAC is on mute
solution: see point 2, apply #1586 and add a caps to filter high freq. on DAC output

5) smoothquark - are you using the standby firmware ?

6) Erlend Sæterdal
problem: More than 11 mv offset with OPA 1612
solution: have you tested different op-amp ? have you apply the mod. #1586 ?

7) bertchai [test ?]
problem: using Mac 0.5s at the beginning of the song is missing/silent
solution: try the version with automute delay reduced, post #1724

8) Some [SOLVED]
problem: lcd wrong characters
solution: change the flat cable or solder the wires

9) Many [SOLVED]
problem: firmware update
solution: the best method is to use the Pickit2 available on Ebay shop and Amazon, there are some cheaper clone

10) Many [SOLVED]
problem: little oscillation on power supply shunt
solution: follow post #1586 and #1626

please add your problem

Last edited:
This is the list, please add your problem:

1) Erlend Sæterdal
problem: lcd does not work
solution: the lcd controller module will be replaced

2) masterkey, bertchai, smoothquark
problem: no work with usb input
solution: masterley have sent to me the DAC module and Amanero module to make a test, the other persons can have the same problem so please wait my test

3) misterwolf , Halook [SOLVED]
solution: eliminate the 75ohm and add a 1uF capacitor after the input transformer (cut the pcb jump).

4) MattMax - [tested ?]
probem: tweeters of my loudspeakers emit a hissing sound when the DAC is on mute
solution: see point 2, apply #1586 and add a caps to filter high freq. on DAC output

5) smoothquark - standby version
solution: the DAC will be send back to Quanghao to check the problem

6) Erlend Sæterdal
problem: More than 11 mv offset with OPA 1612
solution: have you tested different op-amp ? have you apply the mod. #1586 ?

7) bertchai [test ?]
problem: using Mac 0.5s at the beginning of the song is missing/silent
solution: try the version with automute delay reduced, post #1724

8) Some [SOLVED]
problem: Amanero USB module not recognized from PC
solution: the USB pins on pcb touch the DAC shield, so cut this

9) Some [SOLVED]
problem: lcd wrong characters
solution: change the flat cable or solder the wires

10) Many [SOLVED]
problem: firmware update
solution: the best method is to use the Pickit2 available on Ebay shop and Amazon, there are some cheaper clone

11) Many [SOLVED]
problem: little oscillation on power supply shunt
solution: follow post #1586 and #1626

please add your problem

Hi smoothquark!
please send me DAC + USB amanero,
but is not sending power cable and volume control.

thanks

Hi Quanghao, I am a little confused. Do you want me to send you only the DAC board with the amanero without the audio boards, controller and chassis? From my testing, I think the problem has something to do with the controller / ES9018 communication. I thought it might be better to send you everything so that you can test it properly? I suspect the DAC board itself might be OK? Alternatively, as I suggested previously, if you can send me another working amanero and controller board, I can try that (without standby function, of course). This, I think, will work out cheaper in terms of postage costs. Happy to pay a "deposit" if need be. I was actually also hoping that you would have enclosed a PIC programmer, and if you could kindly enclose it, I shall pay for it, of course. :)

My actual configuration with LL1684.

Voltage mode and on output a parallel of these components:

1K 1/4w metal
10uF 6.3V Sanyo OS-CON
0.1uF MKP Vishay MKP1837

Attachments

• LL1684a.JPG
    LL1684a.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 329
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.