• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andrea,

Sorry, I meant L1 and L2 was omitted as well as C4, C5, C9 and C10.

Would this heater power supply for the phono preamp applicable to the DACend? The 2.2ohms resistors and the bridge rectifier are too hot, can't stand it. This might be better that the original one. Please advise.

In thí circuit, I don't use C-LC before LT1084.
That is good!

hi all,

as I have started to build, questions arise naturally...well, here is the first one, and maybe its already answered in the depths of this thread.
Its about the 33r resistors for the low voltage salas shunt, do they really have this value? I remember vaguely that there was a change, but I could be wrong also. Ernst ordered for these 3 places ( R1,7,13) 22R, but according to Andreas list its two 33 and one 27R, in Quanghao's list its two 33 and one 8-10 ohm..
So what comes in finally?

And I'm planning to use the HV Shunt as well, has anyone experiences with this? For example, how to set it up with a 250V transformer?
And, finally, is it enough cooling for those fets when they are bolted at the bottom of a steel enclosure ?

Thanks alot, also for the very helpful pics and posts of the lucky ones, who have finished the whole thing already.

Juergen

for the analogue ps sections 33ohm should be fine, although i would use 27r and heatsinks on the fets.

for the 5v dig i settled on 11r. Too high resistance will mean the reg will drop out and you wont be able to adjust the voltage enough to give the tl431 enough headroom (you want to dial in 5.3v at least, 5.6 max, 5.5v optimum)

Best check is to ensure vgs on the second fet is not 0, if it is then no shunt current is flowing and poor regulation.

HV shunt you are on your own until completed builds come out.

Steel is not a fantastic conductor of heat, but you may get away with it. The heater reg gets very hot, and do heatsink the diode bridge. Its the hottest part on the build.

hi all,

as I have started to build, questions arise naturally...well, here is the first one, and maybe its already answered in the depths of this thread.
Its about the 33r resistors for the low voltage salas shunt, do they really have this value? I remember vaguely that there was a change, but I could be wrong also. Ernst ordered for these 3 places ( R1,7,13) 22R, but according to Andreas list its two 33 and one 27R, in Quanghao's list its two 33 and one 8-10 ohm..
So what comes in finally?

yes you use 8-11R for one Salas shunt for Cs8414 and 74HC04.

And I'm planning to use the HV Shunt as well, has anyone experiences with this? For example, how to set it up with a 250V transformer?

Yes you use Ac 250 v for SSHV , and R 1 = 47R for set curent SSHV
Not V in only at 300V, and you can adjust V-out 270V for I/V tube 5687

And, finally, is it enough cooling for those fets when they are bolted at the bottom of a steel enclosure ?

Thanks alot, also for the very helpful pics and posts of the lucky ones, who have finished the whole thing already.

Juergen

Last edited:
What will be the differences between the 2 and the original?
I have the set of original boards but not built. I was waiting to see what errors / mods were before I started. Now that I see you doing a "2" version, I'd like to know what the differences will be. I only want to build one DAC, so if the "2" version is better, I will do that instead of the originals, and sell them.

Jeff Davison

Yes! i have new updat for DAC-END2

What will be the differences between the 2 and the original?
I have the set of original boards but not built. I was waiting to see what errors / mods were before I started. Now that I see you doing a "2" version, I'd like to know what the differences will be. I only want to build one DAC, so if the "2" version is better, I will do that instead of the originals, and sell them.

Jeff Davison

you can se in this link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/111259-ad1865-best-dac-17.html

I did the 'filterectomy' this morning. Removed the inudctors, and the 2k's from the IV stage. I left the caps (10nf so about 80khz ).

It lets the whole sound breath a little more. No harshness is introduced, just a little more air and ambience. I can see why audionote ditched the filter.

My advice is for people to try filterless (it took me 3 mins), and for new builders to consider not having the filter.

I completely agree with this. Also use Adam's LED bias suggestion. Very nice sound !!!!

I have also continued to use Welborne's PS10 for HV. Just keep coming back to it. Tubes are E182CCs. Need to try the 5687. I have some NOS TungSols and Raytheons from the 60s.

My next experiment may be running input directly to the 8414 (no transformer) Some say it lifts a veil.

This DAC is a keeper and will be one I keep in my system

Best

Bob

I got the mine playing tonight ! Very impressed by the sound.

Now it is configured with no modifications. I have a second I/V board that I plan to use to try leds and ccs.

Andrea, I would love to hear a comparison between various I/V you tried.

1) Transformers (I could not understand what input and output impedance your transformer have)
2) Quancho ver.1
3) Quancho + led and CCS

CCS has also the advantage that will allow for a lower B+.

I have around 5.3 V on the input of the DAC. Is that enought ? I cannot raise it more.

Good project !! I like all these little modules to play around.

Davide

DAC End singing

I got my working just now, very nice sound. I still have to replace few components with audio grade. I will try mods sometime next week.

Attachments

• dacend.jpg
    dacend.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 459
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.