• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got my DacEnd up and running yesterday. I had day off today and I'm playing music all day. I'm enjoying very much. I'm running with GE JAN 5687WB, I want to try E182CC. Where preferably in US I can get E182CC for reasonable price ?
I found on ebay:
"6N6P Double Triode, It is direct replacement of ECC99,E182CC"
but it's not, correct ?

Correct, it is not a direct replacement.

This article talks about going from 6H6P to E182CC but it has the differences stated

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/re...gs-ld-mkii-mkiii-headphone-amplifiers-301219/

Last edited:
I'm planning to use a custom made 80VA toroidal trafo with 3x12V. Will it be any problem for the Sallas reg or is better to use one 2x12V trafo for the +5V,-5V and one 1x12v for the +5V?

On transformer 3x12v ( or 3 x 9V) it is Ok!
But one 2 x 9V for AD1865, and one 9VAC for 74HC04 + Cs8414 that is very very exelent!

Note: if you use 3 x 12V so Cap input more 16V to 25V ( in the Salas shunt for DAC)

I thought I should post some pictures of my build.

I did as Adamus recomended and removed the inductors and added the "led-mod". I listened to the DAC standard and to me these mods made it suit my ears better.

I tried both E182CC and 5687 and prefer the E182CC. Also use Sprauge Hyrel Q 1µf output caps.

To me this DAC easily beat my old parallell tda1543 dac.

Thanks Quang hao, Andrea and Salas. Also thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread!

Congratulation for the great job. I'm glad you like those Hyrels :D

I went through the documentation of the chips, very informative !

Why the CS8414 shown bi-phase coding error ? Is it supposed to be like this ?

I am very tempted in doing a cute front panel showing the status leds, but I understand I would need a reference frequency to have info in the signal frequency.

D.

Thanks,
I have tried both 1-2 and 2-3 but the Light will not turn off.

I have ordered a new cs8414 but it will take 10 days or so for it to arrive here.

Hi Yunick,

I think I have the same problem, as what you've experienced. The Led doesn't turn off when it's plugged in to a CD player. I have a doubt that the CS8414 I bought from Ebay is defective.

Did it fix the problem when you replace the chip with a new one? Where did you buy your CS8414?

Hi Yunick,

I think I have the same problem, as what you've experienced. The Led doesn't turn off when it's plugged in to a CD player. I have a doubt that the CS8414 I bought from Ebay is defective.

Did it fix the problem when you replace the chip with a new one? Where did you buy your CS8414?

Yes, it did. I replaced it with a new CS8414 from same seller as the first one. I got them from "tube_buyer" on ebay.

Thanks Yunick for you reply. That's where I bought mine too. Getting another one from this seller will take another two weeks. I might try finding one locally.

I also bought an R80-36 transformer fro Diyclub and its 230Vac secondary outputs 250Vac reading on my fluke meter, the 260Vac secondary outputs 283Vac. I don't know why it's reading too high.

When I apply the 230V secondary to HV board, its regulated output 279Vdc w/o load and 260 - 263Vdc with the load (tube inserted). I tried it also with the 260V secondary and its regulated output 310Vdc w/o load and 290Vdc with load. My question is, is it safe using the 260V secondary of the transfomer? Is the voltage too high for the 5687 tubes? The plate voltage reads 100V - 105V and the cathode reads 3.78V.

Here's the picture of my build. It's not singing yet because of a bad CS8414. I have to wait another week or so till I get the chip replacement. The transformers were located underneath.

Attachments

• Dacend.jpg
    Dacend.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 406
I also bought an R80-36 transformer fro Diyclub and its 230Vac secondary outputs 250Vac reading on my fluke meter, the 260Vac secondary outputs 283Vac. I don't know why it's reading too high.

because 230 VAC x 1.28= 294 VDC.

When I apply the 230V secondary to HV board, its regulated output 279Vdc w/o load and 260 - 263Vdc with the load (tube inserted). I tried it also with the 260V secondary and its regulated output 310Vdc w/o load and 290Vdc with load. My question is, is it safe using the 260V secondary of the transfomer? Is the voltage too high for the 5687 tubes? The plate voltage reads 100V - 105V and the cathode reads 3.78V.

Yes you can use 260VAC, So = 332VDC. You can change R1 on HV PCB to get V-out 260V

Is the voltage too high for the 5687 tubes? The plate voltage reads 100V - 105V and the cathode reads 3.78V.

No high for 5687, that is good, 100V and 105 v is ok!

Thanks Quanghao, I'll try to change that R1 resistor to lower down the volatage a bit.

Have you tried removing the TL431 on the Dac board and connecting Salas shunt regulator directly to the anlog and digital supply lines of the Dac? I think somebody asked this question before but never read the response to it, unless i missed it.

Thanks Quanghao, I'll try to change that R1 resistor to lower down the volatage a bit.

Have you tried removing the TL431 on the Dac board and connecting Salas shunt regulator directly to the anlog and digital supply lines of the Dac? I think somebody asked this question before but never read the response to it, unless i missed it.

Yes! i test it, Some use TL 431 is not good, but after Salas shunt it is good!
I want try to make all Salas shunt for DAC-end 2. Now I'm testing it. if it is good i can reply!

PM: And I use Salas Shunt HV for IV, the sound is excellent,
One test with 6h30pI or 6h6, I show the sound is very very natural. sound more realistic and very detailed. I think it fits the sound quality of the AD 1865. I can say I love 6h30.
Best regard!
Thank you!

Quanghao

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.