Magnetic paper ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the conductors is 4 traces of 4my aluminum. they are clued with nanoiron clue to thin capacitor paper Then it is folded like a W and glued to the sides of the magnetic system

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 258
hmmm well i made fast version with 8 pleats. it is in fact an amt. except that there is no pleat width, so the conducting traces are not perfectly aligned in the magnetic field. i used japanese washi paper. i forgot what the weight was. I printed a layout on it and run alumnium foil over it. it has 2 traces for each pleat.The diagonal pleats have a depth of 11mm.

I do have a considerable amount of high end loss. this could be because of the weight of the thick 40 micron 3mm wide traces i used or the weight of the paper or the depth of the pleat. what i do have is low end...... and for such small version it is quite a bit i must add. i even have only one side of the magnets attached since i dont have a proper metal setup. and dont want to break my fingers noir the magnets.

also the magnets are on a thick piece of metal witch screws up the field. so i should be able to get more out of it, i am pretty sure.

here a small video it plays full range, added some high end since it was lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec75G-ErGTQ&

i am sitting 1-1.5 meter away when the video starts

Thanks you ABJensen for trying some stuff i did not try! like using paper, i thought about it but never tried it in the end. might be useful i think!

so sparked me to do some more tests somewhere this week :) like measuring , there are some resonances i should hunt down when i got a proper setup , since this is just a really really crude fast thing i threw together, with some nasty distortion here an there.

i almost cant believe the video myself :) it ridiculous this comes from this tiny thing:)

Last edited:
hmm one small note.. it is vital that the folds are NOT terminated proper on the magnets structure. i got some paper left hanging between the first fold and the metal bar, and when i push it against the metal so it sits snug i lose all the low end. not sure whats happening there, could be i am listening to the resonance that creates a peak in the lower region. or when you push the paper to the metal the hole thing becomes to stiff, and pushes the resonance frequency upward. ill try to explain it maybe in a video later. its hard to explain :)

Playing Suzanne Vega from youtube one a youtube video :). Dont now if that tells you anything, other than the planar can make some sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JFrYPpKZg

nice dude! got some eyes for detail. looking pretty stunning to me!

Btw what kind of magnets did you use ? and what crossover used or are they playing fullrange atm ?

where did you get that grill ? is it steel ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.