Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello,
this is Daniel from germany. I am using a raspberry pi 2 and a Hifiberry DAC+Pro Audio card. I tried Max2play first but i decided to change to Moode Audio. But i cant get the WLAN working. I followed the setup guide exactly and also burned the sd card again to avoid mistakes there. But it will not work.
When i shut the raspberry down and disconnect the ethernet, the wifi wont connect. I tried several minutes to an hour nothing.

Any suggestions please?
Iam using a EDIMAX wlan stick, that worked before :/
Best regards
Daniel

check your router is on the same security protocal

WPA or WPA2

SSID xxxxxxxx

Passphrase/security key xxxxxxxx

once you have put the relevant info into the wifi and saved wait till it boots up again and make sure that both wifi and lan are connected. shut down the RPi and then remove the lan cable and start up RPi again. this worked for me.

Maybe I am just doing something stupid, but:
Pi-2 with IQAUDIO DAC+ everything works fine with V2.3.
Upgraded to 2.4 and tried to configure. Cannot set an ALSA level. If I set it to any level up to 100 and then go to replay - no sound.

Back to configure and ALSA level is empty. I do click set and have tried several times but cannot get any sound. Volume on playback screen set to 100
Any suggestions?

Hi,

Email tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll help troubleshoot :)

Regards,
Tim

Hello,
this is Daniel from germany. I am using a raspberry pi 2 and a Hifiberry DAC+Pro Audio card. I tried Max2play first but i decided to change to Moode Audio. But i cant get the WLAN working. I followed the setup guide exactly and also burned the sd card again to avoid mistakes there. But it will not work.
When i shut the raspberry down and disconnect the ethernet, the wifi wont connect. I tried several minutes to an hour nothing.

Any suggestions please?
Iam using a EDIMAX wlan stick, that worked before :/
Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Email tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll help troubleshoot :)

Regards,
Tim

Tim, just tried moode via a tablet and its completely bugged. icons are greyed out and not responding to touch. its an old creative tablet so that might be the problem but volumio was fine on it.

As a guess - I've had something similar....

Moode/Volumio/Rune have a common origin. Clear your saved data and browser history on the tablet, then try Moode again.

J.

Hi,
let me share a good news with you: I exchanged my DAC. I had an IQaudio DAC+, which was excellent. Now i have an Hifiberry DAC+Pro which is even better, maybe 8%. I think, this is due to his two clocks onboard and they reduce jitter. These clocks can be used with the new linux kernels since 4.1.10. No problem for moode, its all supported. Bass is more tight, stage is clearer, voices and instruments more present. The room is breathing.
Don´t forget to set alsa-mixer on not more than 84.

Luki

Hi,
let me share a good news with you: I exchanged my DAC. I had an IQaudio DAC+, which was excellent. Now i have an Hifiberry DAC+Pro which is even better, maybe 8%. I think, this is due to his two clocks onboard and they reduce jitter. These clocks can be used with the new linux kernels since 4.1.10. No problem for moode, its all supported. Bass is more tight, stage is clearer, voices and instruments more present. The room is breathing.
Don´t forget to set alsa-mixer on not more than 84.

Luki

Hi Luki,

The DAC+ Pro is a really nice device. Kudos to Hifiberry for providing solution that operates PCM5122 in "master mode" allowing for improved clocking :)

The optimum config for this DAC is:

(1) Menu, Configure, MPD, set MPD volume control to "Hardware"
(2) Menu, Customize, scroll down to "Hardware volume control"
- set Logarithmic curve to "Yes"
- set Maximum volume (%) to 81

Note that Moode automatically sets the two analog volume controls on PCM5122 chip to Hifiberry recommended values of "Analogue"=100 and "Analogue Playback Boost"=0

The config results in Moode knob 100 = 0dB ALSA for the device, and a nice logarithmic volume curve. A similar config is MPD Software volume + setting ALSA volume (%) to 81.

Regards,
Tim

Hi, Moode 2.5 will include the newest addition from the DJ's spinning South Of Market Avenue. SomaFM adds Metal Detector to it's great lineup of radio stations :)

Metal fans rejoice!

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moode-r25-soma-metal-detector.png
    moode-r25-soma-metal-detector.png
    295 KB · Views: 316
Hi, Moode 2.5 will include the newest addition from the DJ's spinning South Of Market Avenue. SomaFM adds Metal Detector to it's great lineup of radio stations :)

Metal fans rejoice!

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,
It is really great what you are doing! i really like Moode!

But i have 2 requests..
I would like to remove all radio stations in one time, I just don'n like most of them.. Then i can just add my own favorite stations. Or is there a file i can edit with all radiostations in it? Now i have to remove the stations one by one..

Is it possible to add Youtube audio to moode? (pi musicbox does have this and i like it.)

Thank you for the best pi audioplayer available today!
Best regards,
Peter

Hi Tim,
It is really great what you are doing! i really like Moode!

But i have 2 requests..
I would like to remove all radio stations in one time, I just don'n like most of them.. Then i can just add my own favorite stations. Or is there a file i can edit with all radiostations in it? Now i have to remove the stations one by one..

Is it possible to add Youtube audio to moode? (pi musicbox does have this and i like it.)

Thank you for the best pi audioplayer available today!
Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Moode posts the following samba shares. Just connect to the RADIO share and then you can delete the built in pls files and add your own. Remember to run MPD DB update afterwords. Note that there is no way at present to add radio station logos.

NAS
SDCARD
RADIO
USB
USB2
USB3
USB4

You can play Youtube and most other music services via Airplay to Moode :)

Regards,
Tim

Audio gaps on playback

Hi Tim - I'd just like to say Moode is a great piece of work - thanks so much for your efforts - I'm staggered such a low cost mix of hardware can be made to produce such good results! I'm using 2.4 on two different Rasp Pi 2. I'm using them as streaming front ends for my music stored on a Xycel Nas - most as Flac, some as 24 96 and some as 24 192. One has a Chinese clone of the PiFi Dac+ I2S (PCM5122) HAT board and so has hardware volume control (installed as HiFiBerry DAC+). The other has a Chinese version of the ESS Sabre 9023 I2S Dac HAT board and so has no hardware volume (installed as HiFiBerry Dac). The sound quality is great from both of them - some differences that I'll report on when I've finished setting them up and sorting out a few glitches. The main problem I'm having with both setups is that I get audio gaps from time to time on mainly the 24 192 source material, but occasionally on the 24 96 stuff too. They seem to be at random intervals and not always in the same spots, and they only last a fraction of a second up to about a second at a time. This occurs with both wired and wireless (TP Link TL-WN722N) networking. So far I have tried:
1. Adding a couple of lines to the CMDLINE.TXT file as per advice in various forums across the web (wc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3 and dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0) - this seemed to make a bit of an improvement but its still a problem.
2. Upped the Audio Buffer as far as 122880 Kb (much further and the Pi won't boot), and the Buffer Fill to 30%. Again, maybe a bit of improvement, but the problem remains.
3. Increased to NAS Advanced settings to Rsize 61440, and Wsize 65536. I didn't notice any improvement from this.
4. I've also tried different micro SD cards (various makes, sizes and speeds from class 4 to class 10) - no improvement.
5. I've also checked the integrity of the audio files with a few of the recommended bits of software (e.g. audiotester), and they give no errors. (The same files also play perfectly through an Onkyo TN616 home cinema setup that I sometimes stream through).
If I use sample rate conversion (set to 24 96 SoX Very High), the problem seems to disappear on the 24 192 and 24 96 material, but gets introduced on the 16 44 Flac material!
Any suggestions welcome! Please bear in mind I'm not very experienced using Linux, and am using both Pi's headless so any technical solutions might need explaining very simply for this numpty to understand:) Thanks Adrian.

Hi Tim - I'd just like to say Moode is a great piece of work - thanks so much for your efforts - I'm staggered such a low cost mix of hardware can be made to produce such good results! I'm using 2.4 on two different Rasp Pi 2. I'm using them as streaming front ends for my music stored on a Xycel Nas - most as Flac, some as 24 96 and some as 24 192. One has a Chinese clone of the PiFi Dac+ I2S (PCM5122) HAT board and so has hardware volume control (installed as HiFiBerry DAC+). The other has a Chinese version of the ESS Sabre 9023 I2S Dac HAT board and so has no hardware volume (installed as HiFiBerry Dac). The sound quality is great from both of them - some differences that I'll report on when I've finished setting them up and sorting out a few glitches. The main problem I'm having with both setups is that I get audio gaps from time to time on mainly the 24 192 source material, but occasionally on the 24 96 stuff too. They seem to be at random intervals and not always in the same spots, and they only last a fraction of a second up to about a second at a time. This occurs with both wired and wireless (TP Link TL-WN722N) networking. So far I have tried:
1. Adding a couple of lines to the CMDLINE.TXT file as per advice in various forums across the web (wc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3 and dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0) - this seemed to make a bit of an improvement but its still a problem.
2. Upped the Audio Buffer as far as 122880 Kb (much further and the Pi won't boot), and the Buffer Fill to 30%. Again, maybe a bit of improvement, but the problem remains.
3. Increased to NAS Advanced settings to Rsize 61440, and Wsize 65536. I didn't notice any improvement from this.
4. I've also tried different micro SD cards (various makes, sizes and speeds from class 4 to class 10) - no improvement.
5. I've also checked the integrity of the audio files with a few of the recommended bits of software (e.g. audiotester), and they give no errors. (The same files also play perfectly through an Onkyo TN616 home cinema setup that I sometimes stream through).
If I use sample rate conversion (set to 24 96 SoX Very High), the problem seems to disappear on the 24 192 and 24 96 material, but gets introduced on the 16 44 Flac material!
Any suggestions welcome! Please bear in mind I'm not very experienced using Linux, and am using both Pi's headless so any technical solutions might need explaining very simply for this numpty to understand:) Thanks Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

Couple of questions:

(1) What procedure did u use to install the TP Link WiFi driver?
(2) Can u post product links for the DAC's?

Also, in your numbered list above:

#1 - the cmdline.txt settings only apply to USB DAC's, they will not have any effect on i2s. Also there can only be one line in cmdline.txt file and no blank lines above it or it will not be parsed during boot.

#2 - MPD audio buffer settings should be left at their default values of 4096/10%. The max value for MPD audio buffer is 65535 (64 MB).

#3 - the new settings of Rsize 61440, and Wsize 65536 are definitely recommended for CIFS mounts

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for the quick reply Tim.
1. TP Link worked straight away with no additional driver needed - just set up on wired then put the TP Link in and set Wifi access details and it worked after rebooting with the wired connection removed. As I mentioned though, I get the same issue with wired or wireless connection
2. The product links are both eBay, and are as follows: raspberry pi B+/2B HIFI DAC + Sound Card I2S Interface Special | eBay
I2S HiFi DAC ES9023 Expansion Board Decode Board Encoder for Raspberry pi B+ | eBay
3. Yes, I do have cmdline.txt all in one line with no blank lines above, but it may be irrelevant if the extra entries have no impact on i2s.
4. I'll reset the MPD buffer settings to default.
5. Rsize and Wsize left at the new recommended settings.
Thanks again Adrian

Thanks for the quick reply Tim.
1. TP Link worked straight away with no additional driver needed - just set up on wired then put the TP Link in and set Wifi access details and it worked after rebooting with the wired connection removed. As I mentioned though, I get the same issue with wired or wireless connection
2. The product links are both eBay, and are as follows: raspberry pi B+/2B HIFI DAC + Sound Card I2S Interface Special | eBay
I2S HiFi DAC ES9023 Expansion Board Decode Board Encoder for Raspberry pi B+ | eBay
3. Yes, I do have cmdline.txt all in one line with no blank lines above, but it may be irrelevant if the extra entries have no impact on i2s.
4. I'll reset the MPD buffer settings to default.
5. Rsize and Wsize left at the new recommended settings.
Thanks again Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the info.

If you wouldn't mind, zip up a few of your 24/96 and 24/192 files and email the download link to tim at moodeaudio dot org

I'll test them in my environment to see if I can repro the glitches.

Regards,
Tim