Tim, from amixer I get:

Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]

Hi,

I'm not seeing the "Simple mixer control" name in your output. If this is not present then hardware volume control will not work.

For reference, the amixer output below is from a JDS Labs ODAC and shows how an onboard or on-chip hardware volume controller is configured by ALSA. Note the id string "Simple mixer control 'PCM',0". This is the internal ALSA id for the volume controller and must be present for hardware volume to work.

root@rp2:~# amixer
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Limits: Playback 0 - 110
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 110 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 110 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Regards,
Tim

Tim, from amixer I get:

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.49dB] [on]

Hi,

Ok, disregard my previous post.

When you bring up alsamixer
(1) what are names for Card, Chip and Item in the upper left?
(2) can you adjust the slider for PCM device?

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Ok, disregard my previous post.

When you bring up alsamixer
(1) what are names for Card, Chip and Item in the upper left?
(2) can you adjust the slider for PCM device?

Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim

Card: NAD USB Audio
Chi: USB Mixer
Item: PCM [dB gain: 0.49, 0.49]

Slider for PCM is working fine but is having no effect on the FLAC I am playing at the moment.

Hi Tim

Card: NAD USB Audio
Chi: USB Mixer
Item: PCM [dB gain: 0.49, 0.49]

Slider for PCM is working fine but is having no effect on the FLAC I am playing at the moment.

Hi,

This explains why no volume from Airplay because Airplay receiver in Moode is using PCM (hardware volume) and apparently even though the NAD exposes a PCM mixer which ALSA correctly configures, it is not actually changing the volume.

I've not run across anything like this where

(1) MPD set to Software volume control
(2) PCM hardware mixer exists and is configured by ALSA
(3) Playback flac file at some reasonable Moode volume knob setting
(4) change alsamixer slider for PCM mixer and volume does not change

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

This explains why no volume from Airplay because Airplay receiver in Moode is using PCM (hardware volume) and apparently even though the NAD exposes a PCM mixer which ALSA correctly configures, it is not actually changing the volume.

I've not run across anything like this where

(1) MPD set to Software volume control
(2) PCM hardware mixer exists and is configured by ALSA
(3) Playback flac file at some reasonable Moode volume knob setting
(4) change alsamixer slider for PCM mixer and volume does not change

Regards,
Tim

Tim
I tried switching to Hardware control from Moode configs and Alsamixer still has no effect on volume and Airplay is still not working.
Back on playing FLAC, on Hardware control if I change the Moode volume control on the Playback page I can see the Alsamixer slider go up and down. None of which changes the actual volume though.

Tim
I tried switching to Hardware control from Moode configs and Alsamixer still has no effect on volume and Airplay is still not working.
Back on playing FLAC, on Hardware control if I change the Moode volume control on the Playback page I can see the Alsamixer slider go up and down. None of which changes the actual volume though.

And just to confirm, going back to Software control with a FLAC means that the Moode volume knob does change the volume but the Alsamixer slider does not move.

And just to confirm, going back to Software control with a FLAC means that the Moode volume knob does change the volume but the Alsamixer slider does not move.

Hi,

This is normal. If MPD set to Software volume control then MPD volume and ALSA volume will be uncoupled and each one will act independently of the other. In this configuration, ALSA volume needs to be one-time set to 0dB so that MPD volume 100% yields 0dB overall for the audio device.

For the NAD device, its possible that even though they expose a hardware volume controller, its disabled on the device. Maybe because they are using a different controller for the physical volume knob. It's a mystery to me...

In any case, there is a way to force the Airplay receiver in Moode to use Software volume control instead of hardware but it will require a small edit to one of the php source files. This would be a good test to try :)

Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll see hat I can come up with for you.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

This is normal. If MPD set to Software volume control then MPD volume and ALSA volume will be uncoupled and each one will act independently of the other. In this configuration, ALSA volume needs to be one-time set to 0dB so that MPD volume 100% yields 0dB overall for the audio device.

For the NAD device, its possible that even though they expose a hardware volume controller, its disabled on the device. Maybe because they are using a different controller for the physical volume knob. It's a mystery to me...

In any case, there is a way to force the Airplay receiver in Moode to use Software volume control instead of hardware but it will require a small edit to one of the php source files. This would be a good test to try :)

Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll see hat I can come up with for you.

Regards,
Tim
Thank's Tim I've sent you an email

Hi,

Update on USB hotplugging.

I'm working through some tests to see if USB hotplug can actually work reliably and so far it's been a mixed bag of results.

(1) USB DAC hotplug works but if the DAC has hardware volume controller ALSA resets the hardware volume to 100% when its plugged back in. Not safe...

(2) USB storage hotplug works but when device is unplugged the mount is not automatically unmounted. This causes the device to be mounted to USB then USB2 then USB3... breaking any items previously added to the Playlist

I might be able to get the automatic unmount working but not sure about the ALSA 100% volume issue.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, the string is the standard one "nfsvers=3,ro,noatime", I have tried several others in the past, and spent evening trying to understand unsuccessfully. Actually the mount seems OK, but when I try to create the database it goes in loop forever with no result. Hope that helps.
BTW one thing the 3 players should have I believe is give more detail about the mounts and mpd db updates.

Thanks a lot
Jean-Louis

Any idea how to have that NAS working ?

Any idea how to have that NAS working ?

Hi Jean-Louis,

When u connect to the music share on the NAS from either a Windows or Mac computer, what do you type in to make the connection?

For example:

(1) On Windows you would use File Explorer to map a drive to the share on the NAS
z: \\nas_name\share_name\folder

(2) On Mac you would use Finder, Go, Connect to server...
cifs://nas_name\share_name\folder

If you can do #1 or 2, then this information can be used to fill out the fields in the NAS source screen in Moode.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

In the Windows properties of my NAS I got ‎\\NASJLP\musicNAS‎. I am trying to connect through NFS.
In Synology system, I granted all authorization to the user BBB I created, btw not asked in the "source" menu, as well as "guest" and "admin".

In Synology admin (I have only one disk installed), they tell me the name of the folder is /volume1/musicNAS, which I entered in source menu. In Moode, after validating, the NAS is recognized in the sources (no X) but nothing happens.

Jean-Louis

Tell me if you need something else

Last edited:
I add some screenshots from the Synology config if it may help

Attachments

• Capture 1 NAS.JPG
    Capture 1 NAS.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 296
  • Capture 2 NAS.JPG
    Capture 2 NAS.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Capture 3 NAS.JPG
    Capture 3 NAS.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Capture 4 NAS.JPG
    Capture 4 NAS.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 289
Hi,

Update #2 on hotplug:

After some config and coding changes USB DAC and Storage Device hotplugging seems to be working really well :)

- DAC hotplug automatically pauses playback
- USB Storage hotplug supports multiple devices
- Correct mount points (USB, USB1, USB2, USB3) are assigned when plugged back in.

The only issue I've run into is when MPD is set for Hardware volume control, DAC hotplug breaks MPD <--> ALSA volume coupling. MPD must be restarted and Moode volume knob bumped in order to resync MPD volume with ALSA volume.

Regards,
Tim

Hi

new joiner here. I have a raspberry with an hifiberry DAC+. Was using Volumio first and installed MoodeAudio yesterday. I quite like the extra features and the combined playback and playlist page.

One small question: with Volumio the green LED on the Hifiberry was turning off after some inactivity. With Moode it stays on all the time. Not a big issue for the living room but would be one for bedroom.

Is there a way to control this? Best would be to not light it on but turning it off when DAC is not used would be good enough.

Cheers
P.