Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Yes, it's the full FIFO II kit with all of Ian's modules ending with his i2s to PCM converter in simultaneous mode feeding a couple of dual mono TDA1541A Red Baron Dac boards. It's all still in construction phase. My current NOS dac with its antiquated, hi-jitter usb converter is still very nice sounding but Ian's stuff is so well engineered that I'm expecting a substantial improvement in quality.

You'll get it, I have same, but with AYA2014 dac, also 1541 but in sim data mode.
Only digital I've heard that is, maybe, better than it is Accuphase DP-720 which is very expensive.

Hello Tim,
this is my first post here. I'm using the suptronics x400 expansion board and it works fine. Within moode's settings for the i2S audio device I had to choose the IQaudIO Pi-DAC+.
I decided to give this board a try, because it's cheap, has a built-in amp and I don't need a second power supply, because the x400 board powers my pi2. I am using an old 18.5V/3.5A notebook power supply. The sound is clear and loud. Specs of the board can be found here ( Raspberry Pi Expansion Board ).

Regards and thanks for your very good job,
Dirk

Hi Adrian,

Played all three files and no glitches whatsoever. Audio was perfect, and a really great album btw. :)

Refer to attached screen shot. I test with IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ and Mamboberry Hifi DAC+ both of which are I2S DAC's. Resampling disabled of course.

Results suggest the files are OK.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for the checks Tim. Since the files look OK, I tried applying the Cmedia CM6631A fix - and it seems to have worked. No dropouts now for a few hours of constant playing. I thought that fix was just for USB Dacs/? Regards Adrian

Hello Tim,
this is my first post here. I'm using the suptronics x400 expansion board and it works fine. Within moode's settings for the i2S audio device I had to choose the IQaudIO Pi-DAC+.
I decided to give this board a try, because it's cheap, has a built-in amp and I don't need a second power supply, because the x400 board powers my pi2. I am using an old 18.5V/3.5A notebook power supply. The sound is clear and loud. Specs of the board can be found here ( Raspberry Pi Expansion Board ).

Regards and thanks for your very good job,
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I'll add an I2S selection for the x400 in Moode 2.5 :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi Pat,

Xfi user, too ;-)
And no..it's not unique, i faced it too.
It might help to install a new image on the sd card..at least it worked for me once. But it occurred again. ;-(

Hmm, Tim's suggestion worked ... for a while. It doesn't now. Would be interesting to hear from any other Xfi folks, especially the ones for whom this player works.

Hi Tim

Total newbie here

I gather that Moode can be controlled by a Samsung Note phone or Note tablet? (mine are Android 4.4)
Does it work via wifi (not Bluetooth)?

For Android - which browser works best and most reliably?

Which version(s) of Android are easiest to set-up - and works most reliably?

Any other related tips?

Cheers
Otto

Hi I've got a question regarding Moode.
Is audio out via HDMI also supported? I want to connect my Raspberry via HDMI to my Emotiva XMC-1.
And for testing purposes I would like to use the analog out of the Raspberry?

If Moode doesn't support audio out via HDMI can anyone recommend a suitable alternative? I tried Rune Audio and I was able to setup everything correctly (network connection, library and a webradio stream) but it won't play a file (cover art is displayed but the play counter stays at 0:00 after selecting play..) So that is a no go.

On Moode I also configured all sources and there my flac files plays (play counter starts) but there is no audio output....:mad:

For testing purposes I can also use my portable OPPO HA-2 USB DAC but it is not listed in the supported DAC's. The OPPO HA-2 is based on ESS Sabre ES9018-K2M DAC..

Update: I selected the AudioQuest DragonFly and now it works with the OPPO.

Now the question remains is HDMI audio supported?

Last edited:
Partial good news!

As the Emotiva XMC-1 also has an USB audio input, I've connected the Raspberry via USB to the Emotiva XMC-1.
As in the list the Emotiva XMC-1 is not shown (it has USB Type B digital audio “USB DAC” input; up to 24/192, UAC2, using CM6631A).

In Customization settings I have selected CM6631A USB to S/PDIF Converter.
Audio Device
Device: CM6631A USB to S/PDIF Converter
Chip: CMedia CM6631A
Architecture: Integrated USB receiver/SPDIF transceiver 24 bit 192 kHz
Interface: I2S
Other: Async USB(UAC2), S/PDIF support for 176.4 kHz

Now I have only one, albeit major, problem left. When I don't use the resample option, set to 16 bit 44.1 KHz, I often have static noise. Especially when playing hi-res audio files. In the settings menu I already enabled Cmedia CM6631A fix. But this doesn't help. Setting the re-sample option to a 24 bit format I also got static noise.

Who can help me that I don't need to use the re-sample option?

tried a few, all class 10 kingston and Samsung.

extension was that bad there was crackling on startup and switching pages e.g. going from browse to play.

using the same cards with a USB dongle as local music storage.

think i'll try a powered SSD and spinning drive for local storage see if that makes a difference.

Can someone please post a screenshot of their working SMB/CIFS NAS Source settings page. I can't get it to work and it's infuriating me.

Hi,

Similar to what @RogerSch suggested, either post a screenshot or list what are in the the fields on the NAS source screen.

Also, when you connect to your music folder on NAS from either Windows, Mac or Linux PC, what is the connect string?

Regards,
Tim

I have to ask this... :)

Are there plans to make this a rolling distro sometime in the future, with repos etc?

( lol at the huge task, well it would be the nirvana :D)

Also, is there a wiki about what moode 3 will include?
just to have an idea of what it will be (upgrade or something totally new from the roots)

I have to ask this... :)

Are there plans to make this a rolling distro sometime in the future, with repos etc?

( lol at the huge task, well it would be the nirvana :D)

Also, is there a wiki about what moode 3 will include?
just to have an idea of what it will be (upgrade or something totally new from the roots)

Hi,

Yes, Github repo is already up for Moode 3 project, its just empty right now. I'm currently working on a pre-3.0 rewrite, cleanup and debug of the entire 2.x code base including sql, distro, everything. It's an interim step to make it easier to make the merge into the 3.0 code.

So far, the rewrite is yielding a substantial performance improvement throughout the application. The improved performance plus the new hot plug capability makes it much easier to use :)

This will be released as Moode 2.5 in January 2016.

I'll post more about it this week, and there will be a test release in December with hot plug and a few new features to try out :)

Regards,
Tim