Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2014, 09:33 AM   #571
Kipeta is offline Kipeta  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
First, I do not want to intrude into kipeta's realm. We should ask him first, daphile is his project.

Perhaps kipeta will present his suggestions regarding this, again I do not want to intrude deeply this thread.
Daphile is based on Gentoo but it differs quite a lot from many other Linux distros in that Daphile uses always the SquashFS image as its root filesystem (and AUFS to have a writeable layer for it). When Daphile version is upgraded the whole SquashFS image is replaced with the new one on DaphileBoot partition. Only the system settings and LMS databases that are stored on DaphileData partition are retained. Even the AUFS writeable layer is swapped to a new one. Daphile uses kind of a single firmware image philosophy, instead of individual application packages. So even if someone would manage to install some additional packages to the root filesystem, they would not be retained during the Daphile version upgrade.

This was a decision between "easy to install and maintain" and flexibility.

Someone could try to install the content of SquashFS image manually (and configure boot) to a Linux disk partition and try to use it as a normal Gentoo system but I'm really not sure if that would work (easily) and I'm certainly not going to give any support on that.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:46 AM   #572
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipeta View Post
SquashFS image as its root filesystem (and AUFS to have a writeable layer for it). When Daphile version is upgraded the whole SquashFS image is replaced with the new one on DaphileBoot partition. Only the system settings and LMS databases that are stored on DaphileData partition are retained. ...
Thanks a lot, that configuration makes perfect sense and answers the question about feasibility of adding the local GUI too.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:14 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

Default New release available!

CHANGES on August 10th 2014:
  • Pre-emphasis removal option for the CD ripping
  • Kernel upgrade to the version 3.15.9 and some application package updates
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!
Old 13th August 2014, 09:22 AM   #574
mkusan is offline mkusan  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipeta View Post
CHANGES on August 10th 2014:
  • Pre-emphasis removal option for the CD ripping
  • Kernel upgrade to the version 3.15.9 and some application package updates
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi Kipeta,
and thank you for your hard work. I lost sound after the update, hardware is recognized (Xonar DG) and progress bar in player is moving. I tried squeezelite instead of squeezeplayer but output is still muted.

Regards
Marko
Old 17th August 2014, 04:55 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkusan View Post
Hi Kipeta,
and thank you for your hard work. I lost sound after the update, hardware is recognized (Xonar DG) and progress bar in player is moving. I tried squeezelite instead of squeezeplayer but output is still muted.

Regards
Marko
It's strange because there should not be any such change. Have you checked the "Mixer controls" settings? You probably have to enable something there.

If you don't manage to make it work please contact me again using the contact form on www.daphile.com and send me also the content from address: http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:46 AM   #576
diyAudio Member

Why does it say the daphile is installed in a read-only file system..
Before installing in a standalone pc I wanted to try it out in virtaulbox but I cant get it to add the music folder. When I try to add the music drive as network storage , it says "daphile is installed in a read-only file system". Any solution on how I can get a workaround?
Old 18th August 2014, 11:59 AM   #577
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saheb11123 View Post
Why does it say the daphile is installed in a read-only file system..
Before installing in a standalone pc I wanted to try it out in virtaulbox but I cant get it to add the music folder. When I try to add the music drive as network storage , it says "daphile is installed in a read-only file system". Any solution on how I can get a workaround?
If you are starting Daphile using the ISO file then it's read-only. You should go to Settings -> System Firmware and install Daphile to virtual harddisk of VirtualBox. Then shut it down, "remove" ISO file attachment as CD/DVD drive and restart from virtual disk. Then you are able to save settings.
Old 20th August 2014, 03:25 AM   #578
mllum is offline mllum  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Just curious, my first question; has anyone tried to implement or run Daphile on a Wyse S90 thin client which uses a relatively weak processor; AMD Geode running at 366 MHz and has relatively little ram of 512MB?

These thin clients are relatively plentiful and cheap on ebay and because they are fanless would be ideal as a client for Daphile.

Secondly, if someone has successfully run Daphile on a Wyse s90 thin client, does the Wyse s90 thin client, support playback at 24/192 using the usb. I of course am referring to the use of a usb to spdif converter that supports 24/192 such as the xmos series.

I would be grateful if there is some feedback on these 2 questions .

Thanks

mllum
Old 20th August 2014, 04:09 PM   #579
diyAudio Member

Default Pre-release

Pre-release with new web UI "File manager" (and kernel 3.16.1) available at:
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6

If you have full installation of Daphile, you can upgrade to the pre-release version as follows:
  • go to http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel on your Daphile PC
  • copy the following link text (either x86_64 or i486 version) to input field besides the "Install" button
    http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b201528-i486.iso
    http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b201528-x86_64.iso
  • press "Install"
  • reboot
Please be careful with the "File Manager". You could easily delete your whole library.

Please send your feedback using the contact form at www.daphile.com.
Old 20th August 2014, 08:50 PM   #580
Pacogun is offline Pacogun  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllum View Post
Just curious, my first question; has anyone tried to implement or run Daphile on a Wyse S90 thin client which uses a relatively weak processor; AMD Geode running at 366 MHz and has relatively little ram of 512MB?

These thin clients are relatively plentiful and cheap on ebay and because they are fanless would be ideal as a client for Daphile.

Secondly, if someone has successfully run Daphile on a Wyse s90 thin client, does the Wyse s90 thin client, support playback at 24/192 using the usb. I of course am referring to the use of a usb to spdif converter that supports 24/192 such as the xmos series.

I would be grateful if there is some feedback on these 2 questions .

Thanks

mllum
Hi, I don't know about your first question. According to Kipeta, the creator of Daphile, Daphile is not designed for ARM type pc.
But, your second question, I think Wyse S90 limited to 16 bit 48Khz.
Wyse S90 Thin Clients (Used, Recertified, Refurbished, New)

Last edited by Pacogun; 20th August 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!