Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Thanks Soundcheck,, all done!
Now I will remove optical connector and associated 100R resistor.

Then I just need to wait for some caps to arrive and I will do the other mods too :)

One more thing to ask.. Getting a Newava S22160 is not too easy here in Melbourne!!
How about these ones,, will either of these be ok??

76601/3C - MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS - TRANSFORMER, PULSE, 1:1 | element14 Australia
78601/3C - MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS - TRANSFORMER, PULSE, 1:1, 200UH | element14 Australia

Thanks...
CM

Last edited:
I've seen those Murata transformers on many recent quality SPDIF designs.

These won't be a bad choice. I do not have a clue of which one performs best.

Advise:

Make sure you don't use two transformers on the link!! It'll for sure make things worse.
If your receiving end has a transformer in place, you can skip the transformer
on the Touch.
As a general rule for SPDIF links: Always make sure to have just one transformer
on the link.

Cheers

No probs, I understand, Thanks ;-)

One of my DACs has no transformer,, and the other (interestingly enough) has had it bypassed in a "mod" that was seen as an improvement (on the DCX2496 thread),, but I think that was because the stock transformer was meant to be poor quality??

Cheers..
CM

Hello SoundCheck et al.
i'm using since quite few monthes now the squezeplug on RPi and it's working very well.
I just upgraded the code today and it now embedded the LMS7.8 version, which came to be requested for an update on my SB Touch. thing that i did without thinking that this may not be compatible with TT3.
now after having resetted completely my SBT and retry to install & launch TT3, it goes into error and does not work.
is it normal? is there a bypass?
or do i have to rollback to firmware 7.7 on my SBT? if yes how to do it?
thank you in advance
BR
Jayce996

It's not that difficult.

1. You just need to apply the correct port ID. I'll always be the same, if you leave the DAC connected at boot.
2. The optimum buffer settings differ between isynchronous and asynchronous DACs.

I do think Triode introduced an updated USB driver to tackle those XRUN issues. It's recommended to install the Triode kernels.

Unfortnualtely I do not have a Touch for testing anymore. My own Touch finally broke after years of fiddling around with it.

I'm using a Cubitruck board, ArchLinux and squeezelite nowadays.

Cheers

Hi Soundcheck.... sad news about your SB, unluckily it can be often the destiny of the hard tweakers... I think I broke myself more than 20 CD players (luckily bought few money on second hand)...

Is the way you described for swapping your SB is the less expensive ? Can it allow I2S output as well !

I'm looking for the TDA1541 kit thread a board which allow a SB clone for network library and I2S output to slave directly an external DAC board (with uf.l connector in my best dreams..)

It's not that difficult.

1. You yhaneed to apply the correct port ID. I'll always be the same, if you leave the DAC connected at boot.
2. The optimum buffer settings differ between isynchronous and asynchronous DACs.

I do think Triode introduced an updated USB driver to tackle those XRUN issues. It's recommended to install the Triode kernels.

Unfortnualtely I do not have a Touch for testing anymore. My own Touch finally broke after years of fiddling around with it.

I'm using a Cubitruck board, ArchLinux and squeezelite nowadays.

Cheers

Thanks fir your reply Soundcheck!

Actually with edo only the dac is working but if I add tt3 I have buffer issue regardless which edo buffer option I am choosing.

But if I can have my dac working without edo it's even better.

How do you setup the port ID?

Thanks Soundcheck,, all done!
Now I will remove optical connector and associated 100R resistor.

Then I just need to wait for some caps to arrive and I will do the other mods too :)

One more thing to ask.. Getting a Newava S22160 is not too easy here in Melbourne!!
How about these ones,, will either of these be ok??

76601/3C - MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS - TRANSFORMER, PULSE, 1:1 | element14 Australia
78601/3C - MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS - TRANSFORMER, PULSE, 1:1, 200UH | element14 Australia

Thanks...
CM

Avoid 76601/3C, it has bad LF transfer characteristic. If you prefer Murata, then go for DA101C.

I'm looking for the TDA1541 kit thread a board which allow a SB clone for network library and I2S output to slave directly an external DAC board (with uf.l connector in my best dreams..)

You might want to checkout

Raspberry Pi, Berry NOS Dac and e.g. Rune Audio.

The Raspberry offers an easily accessible I2S header. There a several DACs out there that can be directly hooked up the Rasbperry PI.
And they pretty much all sound better then the SB Touch DAC.
The I2S drivers are available with RPI audio distros like volumio or Rune audio.

You'll also find other boards which are I2S ready such as UDOO, Cubietruck, Beaglebone black .... .
However. The RPI for sure is not the best board out there. The huge community support and available HW gadgets (HifiBerry,...) are IMO a huge advantage.

Not to forget. At 35$ it's really worth to give it a try.

Cheers

EDO is using a different config file. It'll conflict with tt30.

As far as I can recall:

Once you have installed the EDO kernel, you can reinitialize without loosing that kernel. On the new install you can install tt30 without EDO.

Output device:

Connect the USB DAC and boot

Login and run:

cat /proc/asound/cards

You'll find your USB DAC listed at index 0,1 or 2

EG:

Code:
~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - E-MU 0404 | USB
                      E-MU Systems, Inc. E-MU 0404 | USB at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.4, high speed

In my case it is index 1. I could use "tt -o 1" to switch to USB.

In case it is "2". It's getting a bit complicated.

You'd need to relpace the existing "output" function with this:

Code:
output () {

killproc

grep '"hw:0' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:0,0"'
grep '"hw:0' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:0,0"'
grep '"hw:1' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:1,0"'
grep '"hw:1' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:1,0"'
grep '"hw:2' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:2,0"'
grep '"hw:2' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:2,0"'
grep '"default' $FILE2 >/dev/null && DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="default"'
grep '"default' $FILE1 >/dev/null && DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "default"'

case $1 in
 0) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:0,0"'  # TXRX - digital
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:0,0"'
  sed -i "s#$DEV1#$DEV2#g" $FILE2
  sed -i "s#$DEV3#$DEV4#g" $FILE1
  echo "**Output device configuration changed"
  test -f $FILE6 && rm $FILE6
  ;;
 1) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:1,0"'  
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:1,0"'
  ;; 
 2) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:2,0"'  
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:2,0"'
  ;; 

*)
   echo "**Wrong output option, try again"
   ;;
esac

}

Now you could also use "tt -o 2"

Cheers

Kann es sein das sich im Terminal die Befehle seit Yosemite 10.0 geändert haben. Meine SBT hat sich aufgehängt und ich will die Toolbox 3-1.0-LAN wieder mal installieren. Obwohl laut Liste die software im Downloads Ordner liegt bekomme ich immer die Fehlermeldung. No file or directory. LMS Version 7.9.0 /1414070955. ich hatte noch nie Probleme mit der Installation.

Wenn man den Klang durch die softwaremodifikation vom Klaus gewohnt ist, dann geht es ohne mod garnicht. Danke für die Hilfe

Yosmite 10.0 - SBT

Hi, ich wollte auf meiner SBT die Toolbox3-1.0-LAN installieren. Kann es sein das sich die Befehle im Terminal geändert haben. Obwohl laut Liste die Software im Downloads Ordner liegt, bekomme ich immer die Meldung no file or directory. Ich habe schon x-mal deinen mod installiert immer ohne Probleme, danke deiner guten Beschreibung. Ohne deinen mod macht mir die SBT keinen Spass, deswegen bin ich schon ziemlich genervt, danke für die Hilfe.

LMS 7.9.0/r1414070955
OS X 10.0