Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Touch will respond on broadcast ping. i.e. send echo request to all devices on your subnet.

If you are on Windows try the following.
  • Open command window (cmd.exe)
  • Type 'ping 192.168.1.255' (use your own network address and replace last group of number with 255)
  • Type 'arp -a'

See if you can find your Touch in the arp-list.

Slowly going mad . . ..
The Touch is running, appears on my network when connected wirelessly but not via an ethernet bridge (unlike my PS3 which is connected to the same bridge).
Anyway, it seems to get given an IP address from the router so I started to reinstall TT 3.0.
Get as far as tt -i (to initialise in putty) and every time I hit return the network connection is lost.
Then, as the Touch screen has been disabled, I have to restore factory settings, change the Touch settings and start all over again, and again, and again . . . .
It was never like this last time - only thing that has changed is the router, but all else connected to it seems to work.

The error message on the Touch makes me think the problem is there.

But here is an idea. What if the new router have messed up your network with IP conflicts? And the problem goes away when Touch connect properly with the server?

Try disconnect everything on your network. Even disable wi-fi on the router as you have better control with cables.

Start only Touch and your Windows PC and try to connect with Putty.

Last edited:
Is it your new router that have DHCP duties?
If the router for some reason give your Touch an IP address already active on your network unpredictable errors can occur.
This is not uncommon if you have devices on the network with static IP address and set up a new simple DHCP server.
You can test for this as described above where you disconnect all devices except your Touch and PC client that both should have they DHCP leases renewed.

Here we go again ... and sorry for the delay, just back from hols.

Now have the touch wired directly to the router. The Touch appears on the routers network.

I press Factory reset on the Touch which gives me the message "Enhanced digital output unsupported by Logitech" and then takes me to the Language selection screen. Press English (or any other language option) and it just goes back to the "unsupported" message and round and round again.

Once I've managed to get to the start of the network setup phase (the next screen past language selection). but that's all so far.

I though a factory reset was just that, but if does not seem to be removing all traces of TT3.

I'll keep trying to see if I can get further (got a little way in before my holiday) but initialising the TT3 install kept crashing out.

Going mad, again.

The Touch has an IP address on the network.
Factory reset says it is enabled although the "unsupported" message seems permanent.
Laptop is on the WiFi but cannot access the Touch via WinScp (IP address = host, user=root, password=1234, SCP).
Keeps coming up with a network error every few seconds as it continually retries.
Everything is within a three foot radius !
Is there anyone there that I can talk to on the 'phone ? Can call you or vice versa . . .

Things break. That happens. Especially if you don't follow advice to not
combine EDO and TT30. However. Until now a reset worked to clean up the software side at least.
That doesn't mean that the HW lives forever.

After reset there's no trace of TT30. It's not persistent.
I wiped my Touch a 1000 times. Never had any issues until my reset button finally broke.

However. Triodes "Enhanced digital output" is persistent. Obviously it's still
there after reset. Otherwise you wouldn't have that error message.

Enhanced Digital Output needs to be enabled on the server as plugin.
If you swapped your server or changed the configuration you might
have missed to reenable EDO on the server. Check that out.
You might also contact Triode.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi folks.

I just wanted to let you know.

I officially do not support the Toolbox any longer. I do not have a Squeezebox Touch anymore.
That makes it impossible for me to give any support.

I also wiped the blog and removed the packages.

If you keep running the Toolbox, you're pretty much on your own.

I'd strongly recommend to stay away from copies of the Toolbox that might pop-up here and there.

Thx
\SC

touchtoolbox3.0-WLAN.tar

Hi,

Early last week, I stumbled upon your audio@vise blog regarding Touch Toolbox 3.0.

I then decided to replace My SB Duet with a SB Touch so I could implement your Toolbox. I downloaded “touchtoolbox3.0-WLAN.tar”.
In the mean time, I implemented some of the tweaks regarding LMS whilst still on the SB Duet. These tweaks worked fine for me.

After I got my new (but second-hand) SB Touch last Friday, I wanted to implement “touchtoolbox3.0-WLAN.tar” on the SB Touch. But coming back to your blog, I found that the manual for this had gone. I distinctly remember written-out and step-by-step instructiuons on how to do this, but I just cannot find these anymore.

Would you be so kind as to provide me with these instructions or point out a place where I can find them?
I'm *not* looking for any support, just the installation instructions.

Many thanks in advance,

Marcus

Hi folks.

I prepared a little Blog-Tutorial about how to improve the SB Touch performance.

USE-CASE: connection through wired ethernet, no local server operation and no local disks attached.

You can start with the software related mods quite easily.

I prepared the tutorial that way that everybody ( at whatever skilllevel) should be able to apply the SW mods at no risk from any platform (Linux/OSX/Windows)

Squeezebox Touch Modification Blog

The gain you experience will depend very much on your system.

I do not intend to manipulate or bias anybody, therefore I do not write down
what changes you can expect. You should try it. You'll make it below 15minutes.

If you have questions or improvement proposals just let me know.

I'd appreciate if you could leave a comment at the blog what changes
you experience and what system you're using.

Enjoy.

Cheers
SC

Look folks.

The discussion that we had over here the other day made me thinking.

I can't offer a tool and the related description for a device that I don't own anymore.
If I can't track down or support issues of a project myself, I have to close it down.
That's why it's all gone. Sorry.

A way out:
I strongly recommend to have a look into buying a Raspberry Pi B+ ($35) and installing Squeeze on Arch (SOA). You'll have a better performance and more features available at a lower price tag. IMO a much better choice then buying used Touches.

A 2nd way out:
If the community donates a working Touch to me, I'm willing to put the stuff back online.

Cheers

Installation instructions

Hi,

Although Soundcheck does have a point in not being able to sustain his support for his tweaks and advice for SBT, I do not feel an urgent need to supply him with another SBT. That's merely because I just bought one myself (and so can he) from a second-hand site in order to implement his touchtoolbox (touchtoolbox3.0-WLAN.tar) that I read about just last week. It now seems that I chose the wrong moment to do so.

So if anybody on this site/forum is willing to share his or her installation instructions with me, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks and best wishes,

Marcus

(and so can he)

Look. I didn't ask "you" to buy me a Touch. I couldn't care less.
Actually I'd be more then happy if nobody jumps on my stupid offer.

And. Don't expect me to buy another Touch. I won't.
To me the Touch is outperformed (price, sound, flexibility)
by my current setup based on a Raspberry Pi + DAC and SOA.

Look. I didn't ask "you" to buy me a Touch. I couldn't care less.
Actually I'd be more then happy if nobody jumps on my stupid offer.

And. Don't expect me to buy another Touch. I won't.
To me the Touch is outperformed (price, sound, flexibility)
by my current setup based on a Raspberry Pi + DAC and SOA.
Soundcheck,

My apologies. I now realise that my message sounded unfriendly. I was a bit frustrated that all your stuff had gone just as I bought myself a SBT to 'tamper' with. When I said "and so can he", I meant that there are plenty used ones out there, but I think I need not tell you that....

Best wishes,

Marcus