Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hello Soundcheck!
I also just updatet my Music-System with 2 Squeezebox-Touch. Now I really need all the details and the infos on how to install the Toolbox 3.0.
Your internet-page was a great help for me in the past.
It would be very nice if you could provide your Infos and your internet-page again.
Thanks very much.

Hello Soundcheck!
I also just updatet my Music-System with 2 Squeezebox-Touch. Now I really need all the details and the infos on how to install the Toolbox 3.0.
Your internet-page was a great help for me in the past.
It would be very nice if you could provide your Infos and your internet-page again.
Thanks very much.

Found this, but please don't read it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140927074950/http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/touch-toolbox-30.html

What benefits do you hope to achieve from using touchtoolbox?

Hi Julf,

Sorry for not replying earlier to your message.

After having read the 'testimonials' from TT3.0 users, I expected quite a lot of this mod. But after having fiddled around with it (and with EDO 0.8) for some time, I have to say that it's not what I expected it to be. At first hear, it sounds sort of impressive, but after a while you realise that the whole soundstage has disintegrated. So I removed TT3.0 and EDO 0.8 and I'm now satisfied with the way the original SBT sounds. Good soundstage, the soloist is not moving from left to right anymore, and the the tonal balance is in harmony.
It's not impressive, it's just right!

So Klipsch has a point.

Regards,

Mark

p.s And I've gotten rid of that overwhelming bass!

Reboot kills it all

Hi
I'm trying to install TT3 and manage to copy the touchtoolbox3 file using winscp. I then open Putty, unpack the file and initialise with tt -i. I get the report that various settings have changed and then the Touch tries to reboot.
And then everything dies.
I can no longer access the Touch with winscp or Putty. I have to do a factory reset to get anything working again.
Can anyone advise ?
Thanks

Hi
I'm trying to install TT3 and manage to copy the touchtoolbox3 file using winscp. I then open Putty, unpack the file and initialise with tt -i. I get the report that various settings have changed and then the Touch tries to reboot.
And then everything dies.
I can no longer access the Touch with winscp or Putty. I have to do a factory reset to get anything working again.
Can anyone advise ?
Thanks

Do you already have EDO installed? EDO and TT3 don't play well together.

BTW, why do you want to install TT3?

No EDO (at least it's not shown in 'My Apps'.)
I was running TT3.0 successfully for a couple of years, and then changed ISP. Don't ever consider Directsave - they lock the router so I cannot assign reserved IP addresses and more.
Just retried the installation, this time remembering to download and install the latest software update (is there a way of making this permanent so I don't have to do that after every factory reset ?). Same result though, the system just won't reboot. I cannot access via Putty if I launch a new session of that either.

Why do I want to use TT3.0 ? Well, it made a significant improvement for me before - why wouldn't I ?

wow, very nice write up. This really got me all excited. Now I just need to get my self a SB Touch. Any hardware base tweak that you can do?

I have made a few HW modifications.
Please see Sound checks web site "Touch Toolbox 3.0 - HW and Network"

If you are using coax SPDIF out put ont then you should also disconnect the optical transmitter. Please note that there is a 100R seriel resistor from the Spdif buff to the optical transmitter. This resistor should be removed as well.

Please not I have NOT made any specific HW modifications for improve when using the EDO and USB output.

I have made a few HW modifications.
Please see Sound checks web site "Touch Toolbox 3.0 - HW and Network"

If you are using coax SPDIF out put ont then you should also disconnect the optical transmitter. Please note that there is a 100R seriel resistor from the Spdif buff to the optical transmitter. This resistor should be removed as well.

Please not I have NOT made any specific HW modifications for improve when using the EDO and USB output.

Removing the toslink was one of the things I heard immediately (did that years ago) -- where is that resistor? Might as well remove it for completeness :D -- since moved to rasppi/hifiberry digi/picoreplayer simpler, better

some pic's of things I've done in the past-- always tried to keep it very clean... could return to stock if chose to:

Attachments

• DSC01032.jpg
    DSC01032.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Removing the toslink was one of the things I heard immediately (did that years ago) -- where is that resistor? Might as well remove it for completeness :D -- since moved to rasppi/hifiberry digi/picoreplayer simpler, better

some pic's of things I've done in the past-- always tried to keep it very clean... could return to stock if chose to:

Hi

i dont have a disassembled SBT right now but it is the resistor between TP86 and TP87. R65 as far as i can read on the photo of your SBT-PCB.
You can check this by measure 0Ohm from TP86 to the input of the optical transmitter.

I can see that you have soldered the digital cable to the connection between the connector board and the mainboard. You should unsolder this cable and connect to where the SPDIF Connector center pin was soldered to the breakoutboard.
The reason is that the spdif signal will reflect from the point you have connected the cable and the solder point of the unsoldered SPDIF connector. this gives a missmatch of impedance of the SPDIF output.

another thing to improve sound quality.
Add 4500-5000uF of very good quality as close to the DC input of the SBT.
This mod will really raise the sound of the SBT.!! it even works if you use a linear high quality power supply. Im using a Teddy pardo supply and this is a mandatory modification i my setup.
I have made an extender board as attached..
I have used Black gate caps, but Polymer caps can also do a good job here.

Attachments

• SBT dc input fix_.jpg
    SBT dc input fix_.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 436
Yeah re: the BNC, didn't like using that wire either-- this was the last thing I was experimenting with right before discovering the raspi/digi+ and didn't do a lot of listening tests, I may just put the RCA back on, or suppose could cut the trace, not sure yet.

Kinda done with it, makes a nice desk player & controller for the pi

Last edited:
Yeah re: the BNC, didn't like using that wire either-- this was the last thing I was experimenting with right before discovering the raspi/digi+ and didn't do a lot of listening tests, I may just put the RCA back on, or suppose could cut the trace, not sure yet.

Kinda done with it, makes a nice desk player & controller for the pi

Hi
Dont forget the cap bank on the dc input!!!

Both mods will raise the sbt to a higher sound level.
Br
Caad

Thanks for the tip removing the TOSlink resistor, done, it was R65 -- micro solder!

Also snipped the coax connection to the daughterboard & left my connection as is to the BNC

Hi

If you snipped the right one of the two resistor in the middle og the pic. im afread you removed the wrong one.

The resistor that needs to be removed is the one close to the SPDIF buffer on the other side of the board.

Br
CAAD

Hi

If you snipped the right one of the two resistor in the middle og the pic. im afread you removed the wrong one.

The resistor that needs to be removed is the one close to the SPDIF buffer on the other side of the board.

Br
CAAD

I did remove the correct resistor on the other side of the board... I snipped the pin going to the daughter board (shown in that last pic), to avoid having to move the BNC connection like you suggested