Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Because the more places we're discussing about the SBT the best it is.
Not really. We don't want to have useful SBT information spread out over a gazillion places.
Especially if it's on the most famous website connecting people together from around the world.
Should we be on AOL too? :) Facebook is great for knowing what your friends did on their vacation and what grows in Aunt Edna's garden, but not really suited for proper discussions, as threads aren't very permanent.

EDO is using a different config file. It'll conflict with tt30.

As far as I can recall:

Once you have installed the EDO kernel, you can reinitialize without loosing that kernel. On the new install you can install tt30 without EDO.

Output device:

Connect the USB DAC and boot

Login and run:

cat /proc/asound/cards

You'll find your USB DAC listed at index 0,1 or 2

EG:

Code:
~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - E-MU 0404 | USB
                      E-MU Systems, Inc. E-MU 0404 | USB at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.4, high speed

In my case it is index 1. I could use "tt -o 1" to switch to USB.

In case it is "2". It's getting a bit complicated.

You'd need to relpace the existing "output" function with this:

Code:
output () {

killproc

grep '"hw:0' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:0,0"'
grep '"hw:0' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:0,0"'
grep '"hw:1' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:1,0"'
grep '"hw:1' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:1,0"'
grep '"hw:2' $FILE2 >/dev/null &&    DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:2,0"'
grep '"hw:2' $FILE1 >/dev/null &&    DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:2,0"'
grep '"default' $FILE2 >/dev/null && DEV1='alsaPlaybackDevice="default"'
grep '"default' $FILE1 >/dev/null && DEV3='alsaPlaybackDevice = "default"'

case $1 in
 0) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:0,0"'  # TXRX - digital
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:0,0"'
  sed -i "s#$DEV1#$DEV2#g" $FILE2
  sed -i "s#$DEV3#$DEV4#g" $FILE1
  echo "**Output device configuration changed"
  test -f $FILE6 && rm $FILE6
  ;;
 1) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:1,0"'  
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:1,0"'
  ;; 
 2) 
  DEV2='alsaPlaybackDevice="hw:2,0"'  
  DEV4='alsaPlaybackDevice = "hw:2,0"'
  ;; 

*)
   echo "**Wrong output option, try again"
   ;;
esac

}

Now you could also use "tt -o 2"

Cheers

Hi Soundcheck,
I have tried this method and I indeed see my dac on the position 1, I used the function tt -b o1 and I can hear the music but I have a bad problem of buffer (Xrun).

My Dac is a Jkenny Ciúnas (https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/ciunas-dac)

I can see that you are talking about it on your site:
Note: USB DACS
I tried for quite some time to get USB DACs going. The toolbox is pretty much prepared to get those going.
Unfortunately the majority of DACs (USB Class 2) will not function properly. Logitech is using a very old USB Audio driver which could be the reason.
You'll experience buffer problems (XRUNS).
USB Audio Class 1 DACS with 24bit support might work.
I'll get a device isochronous device for testing soon. If I make it work I'll update the Toolbox.

Have you found a solution to this issue? :confused:

1. You should install Triodes kernel (not to be mixed up with EDO!!) - he fixed some stuff around USB DACs
2. Never mix EDO and my toolbox, you'll break the system
3. For asynchronous DACs, most of todays Dacs are asynch, you should run
higher alsa buffer sizes

Unfortunately I don't have a Touch anymore - it's broken. Otherwise I would have issued TT4.0 long time ago.

Cheers

1. You should install Triodes kernel (not to be mixed up with EDO!!) - he fixed some stuff around USB DACs
2. Never mix EDO and my toolbox, you'll break the system
3. For asynchronous DACs, most of todays Dacs are asynch, you should run
higher alsa buffer sizes

Unfortunately I don't have a Touch anymore - it's broken. Otherwise I would have issued TT4.0 long time ago.

Cheers

Thanks for your help Soudcheck!
The Triodes Kernel can be found in the SBT applet directly?

Regarding TT4.0, you can still send it to me for testing if you'd like :D eheheh

What I have done so far:
- Installed EDO on the SBT
- Installed the TT3
- Tried all possible buffer sizes
- Uninstalled EDO

No positive result, still the same Xrun issue

As stated, TT3 and EDO are not compatible. Just uninstalling EDO might not restore everything as they should be. I suggest restarting from scratch with a clean install.

Edit: And as suggested before, you probably get more help at the Squeezebox community forums.

Not long ago i tried a Raspberry Pi with hifiberry digi with isolated spdif output.
sound quality is much better as a touch! (no matter what kernel or mod you apply...)
Sold the touch and made a nice profit :)

I'm running a Raspberry Pi (client) and a Cubitruck (server and client) since quite some time.

If you guys buy a RPI (35$), attach quite nice power supply ( e.g. Teradak U9 at around 60$ ) to it and then install

Squeeze on Arch (SoA) you'll be happy.
You shouldn't have any problem with USB audio anymore.
RPI 2 is not yet supported!

Installing SOA is a no-brainer. It's a web-browser based installation.
You copy the image to SD card, boot up the RPI and then you start
the installation and configuration from any webbrowser in the network.

You'll be much more flexible.

You could also easily try Volumio with a different SD card.

The other day I've seen a RPI as part of a $3900 commercial music server.
That's rediculous. However. It shows its potenial if properly implemented.

I'm not quite happy with PiggyBack audio interfaces on the RPI btw.
They are IMO OK. And they are pretty cheap. They do have their limits.
I also tried HifiBerry btw.

Cheers

Touch no longer starts up . . .

Ahh - possible disaster ???
I've been using TT 3.0 for a couple of years without a problem. This week I changed ISP and so got a new router. I cannot get the network to 'see' the Touch so I had to do a factory reset (the small black button) to start the network set up from scratch and then re-install TT 3.0.

BUT
the Touch is now cycling between two screens ; first I get the memo that 'Enhanced Digital Output is unsupported by Logitech', then after a few seconds it switches to the 'Free Your Music' screen for a couple of seconds, and then back to the 'unsupported message. It just goes round in circles.

I've tried another reset, completely powering off and back on, all to no avail.

Help !

Hmmm
Well, I've had the 'Factory Settings Restored' banner displayed every time I've done a reset. I've tried holding the small button in whilst restoring power but seems to make no difference. Strangely, I've disconnected the ethernet cable and tried to connect wirelessly. I can now get one or more screens 'in' - for example to the first 'select language' screen and even as far as the wifi password screen, but as soon as I choose language or try to type the wifi password it reverts to the 'Enhanced Digital output not supported by Logitech' message again. But there's no pattern - sometimes I just get as far as choosing a language, other times I can get as far as the wifi settings screen. But I don't think its a timing thing. I can leave the 'language' screen on for example and there it will stay.

Well, after about the 15th time of trying I've managed to get as far as connecting the Touch to my wireless network :)
Just hope it stays alive when I switch it to wired connection (and then reinstall TT 3.0).
Complete mystery. Looks like the factory reset just wasn't completing properly ?

Still a bit weird mind . ...
It's up and running and I've now switched it to ethernet connection (via a wireless bridge), and it has been given an IP address - but it does not show on the routers admin status screen.

And it still, occasionally, falls back to the 'Enhanced Digital Output not supported screen' at times when I select an option (doesn't seem to matter which one) on the Touch screen.

I'll try reloading TT 3.0 later on.