Papa! I want to have Zen V5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well, finally got around to finishing the Zen V5 with four 19.5VDC Laptop power supplies. Its been on my bench for over a year. Works great.

Cobbled together a pair of supplies per channel to make a +19VDC 0 -19VDC power supply with no other caps or resistors. Each 19V power supply offers up 3.2A...

There is no hum or noise at all. The ZV5 amp is biased out to 1.5A per device (750ma on R47 emitter resistors), with around 10mv offset. Around 30 watts per MOSFET device. Looks to be around 30 wpc @4ohms.

I like this amp just like it is. 120 watts to dissipate to the sinks, and they are aound 135F.

I cut some plexiglass to finish out the rest of the chassis...about as simple as a gainclone, but quite a bit sweeter sound...

Attachments

• zen-v5a.jpg
    zen-v5a.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 176
  • zen-v5b.jpg
    zen-v5b.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 175
  • zen-v5c.jpg
    zen-v5c.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
In the "The Zen Variations - Part 5" article there is: "The harmonic character of
distortion is primarily second harmonic at lower wattages, in spite of this being a complementary circuit, and reflects the imprecise matching of the complementary
devices. Because the devices are slightly different in gain variations, asymmetry appears in the distortion waveform, creating even order harmonics. At power levels above a couple watts, third harmonic and other odd harmonic components start to dominate, and of course at some point the circuit simply clips pretty much like
any other amp."
I wonder how does it sound at equilibrium of 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion ?
Some amps have 2nd and other 3rd harmonic dominant but this one can have both in equal amount ?

Pawel

Indeed, a Wise Man .This thread remained my favorite. I thought much of him thru the painful treatment he endured. His return after brought with it the same spirited, genteel nature he had prior. I still have the six 2sj74V he sent to me.Certainly, a generous Man. It was apparent,He LIVED His life!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.