Papa! I want to have Zen V5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just what I thought - they were discussing the 2SJ74/2SK170 pair ion the F4 or F3 thread, so I knew it should be OK. Same DGS format either way than the j310/SJ108 (I think...)

Also, are there any additional components required to make this latest circuit complete protection wise? I know there was a previous post on zener diodes across the output pins, and wonder if there are any other updates?

Either way, I should be actually hearing this circuit later tonight....

john65b said:
On the F3/F4 thread, someone actually posted the "uncomplimentary-ness" of the 2SJ74/2SK170, but it is according to Toshiba...

Looking at the circuit, complimentery doesnt appear to be an issue. Any way , I'm very interested in this circuit and this thread is a wonderfully informative (and enjoyable) one.

What versions of the 2sj74/2sk170 will you use??

Babowana said:

2SK170BL,
2SJ74V,
all Toshiba, no copy, real bought in Korea

I have some you need?
I can send you 4x each . . . no jok tho drunk tonight . . .
Free . . . give me youe adress . . .

:drunk:

It's abit early here for the grape to appear. But thank you for your offer which I will accept . The V version is not available to me. I will email you my address . I have the BL 170 so the V74 is all I require.

Your thread is one of my absolute favorites .

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well I finally got around to building a single Zen V5 channel with the 2SK170/SJ74. I put it on a monster heatsink (30 lbs alone)

For a power supply, I had bought this huge power supply for its chassis, and I noticed it puts out a nice +/-20V at least 11A. Its an Audio Designs PS-2020-10. Picked it up for $40. I dialed in 23.5V for both rails via a pot.... Anyone see one of these before?

Anyway, getting a bit off topic...since I have such a huge sink, I biased the amp to 1V so 2.1A, 50W/fets and dissipating 100W. Looks like maybe 35W/channel into 4 ohms - 27W/channel into 8 ohms?

Anyway, sounds very nice and clean...Bias swings a bit and every 15 minutes I find myself rechecking it...

No hum at all. I am glad I bought this power supply...full of motorola 10-19655-2 Transistors (6 per channel) and two pairs of 22,000uF caps per rail - maybe a commercial Capacitance multiplier? Too bad its HUGE...

Attachments

• adfront.jpg
    adfront.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 541
john65b said:
And a pic of the amp and heatsink - I think the sinks were once a load bank from the local electric company...

Spurred on by Babo's sober spirit generosity
:drunk: and in honor of his BlueBlood ZEN status ,I offer you ,a virtual neighbor, a pair of 7 x 12 x 1.5(19 fins) sinks-stipulation that you initially use them to perpetuate this marvelous thread!!

EMAIL ME!!??

John

Did not receive your email. I've sent you another address via email -please resend yours.

What versions of the 74/170 pair did you use?

I am waiting for 9240 mosfets to arrive and next month(according to the CEO)will spill the Avel Lindberg dollars.

I havent decided on the preamp variety as of yet..I have parts for everyversion of BOZ , BOSOZ including the cs-xxx including ZEN MOD'S
JFET cascode ,which most likely will prevail.

Babo- could you throw a schema of your CRC supply on the screen? I will have everything but the tranny soon and would like to lay this all out.

It isnt easy dealing with my matrimonial money manager . Years of experience gives her a rough electronics knowledge.... You say "amplifier" ...She says, "$300"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.