Papa! I want to have Zen V5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
sandstorm33 said:
MANY THANKS for your GENEROSITY!!! The little jewels arrived today looking famished ,hungry for those ZV5 milliamps. A toast to you (Cuervo Black Anejo)!!

Ahr . . . I have thought that the mail is floating in space with the
address that might be incorrectly written down by the girl who
I sent to the postoffice . . . I'm pleased that you received it, listeninng
to the morning FM thru Jfet Z5 . . .

Enjoy!!!

:darkside:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello all, just deffering finishing the other channel of the JFET ZV5 so I can finish the Krell KSA-50 Clone that has been awaiting a nice chassis... pretty complex compared to the ZV5, but sounds very nice so far.

Anyway, got an embarrassing question to ask all you smart people...seems I remember reading the ability to sub a few different types of transistors in the ZV5 circuit...

I have a number of 2SA1943/2SC5200 (confirmed non fake!!) Toshibas left over from the Krell Clone and wonder if I could sub in a pair instead in a JFET ZV5 circuit instead of the IRF9240/240...

Please go easy on me, as I am a bit of a tyro on these transistors "types"... and very thenthitive too.

The 2SA1943 is a transistor, not a mosfet.

Transistors take a lot of drive current through the gate, unlike a mosfet, which has very high gate resistance.

This is one characteristic of mosfets that Nelson exploited to make 2 stage amps with respectable power output, decent distortion measurements, and spectacular sound.

I doubt that there is enough drive current going through the jfets of the babozen 5 to drive a great big transistor. There is a formula to calculate how much drive current you will need, but I don't know what it is, and I am too lazy to go look it up.

Maybe someone will help us out here.....

JJ

Cgd for the 240/9240 is something like 85/125pF at a Vds of 20V, suppose 250pF for the pair.
That requires 1mA for each 4 volts of slewrate, 5mA gives a SR figure of 20V/uS.

Closing the JFET pushes all 5mA into/out the base of a 1943/5200, with the hFe of 100 as i mentioned in the ksa50 thread you'll have 1/2 an amp of output current, only 1W/8 continuous (in theory)
You'd have to bump up the current gain by adding a driver stage that would add another 100 hFe, makes 50 Amps output current.
But then it's no longer Zennish, no ?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Wow...pretty complicated stuff...I got a bit tripped up on the two output types "interchangability" after I read up on the JLH (transistor output device) morphing into the PLH (Mosfet output device) amp at passdiy.com.

I just thought I would be able to basically use an output board layout like the KSA-50 - 2.2 ohm base resistors and .649 ohm emitter resistors - to the JFET Babozen front end - shows how much (little) I know....

Like I said - have a few 2SA1943/2SC5200 pairs left over and was just a bit too lazy to buy a few more IRFP9240/240.

Don't know what my issue was, as they are easily available and relatively cheap at tech-diy.com...

Cool. Thanks for the answer...

john65b said:
complicated stuff

It's actually a bit more complicated, and it also depends on the operating mode of the device, but examples better be simple.
It was posted that it took even a biggy such as Borbely to the 90s to get it completely right, same experience i got with a couple of pro audio stiffs on this side.

A MOSFET behaves like a capacitor, it's driven by charging/decharging the capacitance at the gate.
The speed at which the capacitor's voltage increases depends on the current level it's loaded with, for a given capacitor size.
Capacitance is Farad, F is A*s/V , amps times second divided voltage.
Or : A divided by V/s, same-same as current divided by the required slew rate.
A bipolar device also has capacitances from base to collector and emitter, but they are generally much smaller, a MOSFET is somewhat comparable with a very high hFe darlington transistor.

JackinNJ is a good source for matched devices to go in parallel, your Zenl only has a single complementary pair, any source will do.

(in a couple of years, your head will be filled with amp tech, and you'll have forgotten all of your beloved LandRover stuff)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
(in a couple of years, your head will be filled with amp tech, and you'll have forgotten all of your beloved LandRover stuff)

HA! I would trade my Land Rover for a nice amp any day - breaks down just sitting in the driveway - do British amps leak oil?

I knew someone would give me the skinny on it...very good explanation too.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry - didn't mean to offend our fine friends from the UK on my Rover/British bash. I actually am quite fond of my 2002 Disco II, even with all of its idiosyncrasies...the thing is a rock...I cannot complain of its gas consumption as I work for a Major Oil Company - so it like taking $$ from one pocket and putting it into the other...

Sandy -> Thanks for those sinks - I have the Krell to finish and then the Aleph 60...I just knocked out a single channel of the BABOZEN with a bit a spare time I had waiting for a chassis to arrive from China (90+ days, but relatively cheap)

I am quite impressed with the BABOZEN's simplicity and sound quality with so few parts compared to the Aleph/Krell.

I can't wait to knock out the second channel and have a free weekend to determine which sounds best on my Maggie MGIIIa's (I don't listen very loud, so should be some what an even comparison between all).

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have an F2, an F4, EL34 SE and KT88 pp....take your pick I'll swap any one of them for your LR....but we'll each have to pay our own shipping..

Wow...I still would end up owing you a bit of $$ after a trade...

And don't get me started on shipping - UPS, USPS, doesn't seem to matter - they have been destroying everything I have been sending lately.

Don't ever write FRAGILE on a UPS/USPS package - guaranteed to arrive broke.

john65b said:
Sorry - didn't mean to offend our fine friends from the UK on my Rover/British bash. I actually am quite fond of my 2002 Disco II, even with all of its idiosyncrasies...the thing is a rock...I cannot complain of its gas consumption as I work for a Major Oil Company - so it like taking $$ from one pocket and putting it into the other...

Sandy -> Thanks for those sinks - I have the Krell to finish and then the Aleph 60...I just knocked out a single channel of the BABOZEN with a bit a spare time I had waiting for a chassis to arrive from China (90+ days, but relatively cheap)

I am quite impressed with the BABOZEN's simplicity and sound quality with so few parts compared to the Aleph/Krell.

I can't wait to knock out the second channel and have a free weekend to determine which sounds best on my Maggie MGIIIa's (I don't listen very loud, so should be some what an even comparison between all).

OOGAH!!! OOGAH!!!Looks like BABOZEN begins with a toast!!Just a suggestion for the sinks I sent to you. Of course, you'd probably prefer a Chianti.

Attachments

• 100_0484.jpg
    100_0484.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 591
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all, I just ran an interesting test on my BZV5...I got a little bored today and decided to build a +/-20VDC power supply out of two Laptop SMPS. They are HP branded and both 20VDC - 0 and 3.2A. I connected two of them to get the dual rails.

I connected the newly made PS onto a single channel and it sounded very nice. No hum/hiss that I could hear. I had the bias cranked to 950mv across the .47 ohm resistor, so 2A/fet, 40Watts/fet, so 80 watts dissipated to the sinks.

Not bad. No heavy transformers or caps. No power on/off thump either. Seems to have plenty of power (well, sorta).

I know I am really torturing those power supplies, but this is most likely nothing compared to a laptop load...

I know these laptop PS aren't exactly cheap, but I have quite a few and they are just sitting around collecting dust...so what the hell...

Anyone tried this yet - running a Class A amp off SMPS??

Am I koo-koo for cocoa-puffs?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I found this schematic that is very similar to the BZV5, but with 2SK1058/2SJ162...is the IRFP240/9240 interchangeable with the 2SK1058/2SJ162?

This schematic came from a French site....

The 2SK1058/2SL162 are much more expensive...

Attachments

• dipolex-fig1.gif
    dipolex-fig1.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 397
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.