Amp Camp Amp - ACA

tried replacing them in my working ACA channel..including considering the leads are different for J111), but did not work...

What happened when you tried a straight substitution? No audio? Quiet audio? Distorted audio? Temporal Rift?

The characteristics of the J111 and SK170 are not exacly identical, far from it, so changing Q4 to another type will require a new value for R9. The change will likely effect input sensitivity as well.

EDIT: R9 sets current through the jFET, not R6...

Last edited:
fr0sty - yes, but the value was way too low around 1.2V did not move much with turns on the pot

ZM- J309 TO-92...seem so be out of production

Have you considered BF862? Apparently a straight substitute as reported by others. Currently there are plenty of exciting BF862 based projects happening on the forum.

Yes, it is SMT, but even I found it quite easy to solder thin copper wires to the 3 leads using 3x glasses or a magnifying glass. Then it is the same as TO-92.

I am certainly planning to use BF862's as a straight replacement for 2SK170's in my ACA build. Hope to start soon. First need to finish my B1 (also with BF862's).

Maybe the more experienced guys can confirm if this is a good option.

I can't emulate you setup , but I believe that's already covered in this ( or any of myriad ACA) thread(s)

try with 0R1+4700uF

I tried it today and the turn off thump of my ACA did not change :(. I am now thinking relays for speaker outputs but in that case, to reduce the number of switches I would probably put both ACAs in a single housing and in the process do a proper linear PS; so this is a complete rework and not something I wanted to do. I may have to put up with the current setup for a while where my B200s are popping on turn off. there is a serious DC swing as they visibly jump on flipping the switch.

Last edited:
KnuckleHead Rookie Mistake

ACA Trouble Shooting for a newbie, please!
Long time audiophile, first time I have ever built something on my own. Minimal practical knowledge, but I can follow instructions and am decent with a soldering iron.
> Built the first ACA, sounds terrific, no problems.
> Built the second, sounds good for 5-10 seconds, then volume drops off a cliff and output becomes very distorted, regardless of source. Gently tapping internal wires or chassis gets a blip of added, staticky distortion.
> Checked all solder joints, everything looks good
> only thing I have found out of order is this: when I test ground and Q1 center pin, DC is 10.2V or so, then takes off to 14, even 15VDC!
Not a clue what to do from here. Any help greatly appreciated.

While poking around trying to figure what was wrong, I realized I only used one layer of the Keratherm. I guess I thought the other layer was the backing, not part of the of the heat dissipation function. Rather embarrassing...
Amps now sound wonderful with both layers of Keratherm in place!

I tried it today and the turn off thump of my ACA did not change . I am now thinking relays for speaker outputs but in that case, to reduce the number of switches I would probably put both ACAs in a single housing and in the process do a proper linear PS; so this is a complete rework and not something I wanted to do. I may have to put up with the current setup for a while where my B200s are popping on turn off. there is a serious DC swing as they visibly jump on flipping the switch.

One alternative to reduce the "thump" is to switch the AC and not the DC. I removed the PSUs from their cases (which reduced their size considerably), placed them inside the housing and the switch turns THE PSU on and off. (I did this out of pure laziness, until I build a proper linear PS). The thump is minimal.