Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Zen wrote:

just one thing - when Big Donut is not surrounded with big Faraday Case, it'll maybe result in need of greater clearance to surrounding apparatuses ........ (sources,preamps)

but , that's manageable[/QUOTE]

——————————-

Zen - Forgot to mention that xformer and supply board are in a separate housing and about 4 feet away from the amp... Thanks for reminding us the importance of isolation :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Thanks again for the kind words!

My initial impressions are very positive; I let the F6 burn in overnight using my modified FryBaby2 as the source and now, about 11 hours later, it's playing in my main (basement) system. On the slightly warm side of neutral, wide soundstage, and a little forward. The F6 sounds natural, in the sense that with eyes closed, the presentation sounds real.

Oh, and my Elsinores are loving them. There's gobs of headroom.

Pretty damn cool.

I know most of you already have an F6 but, in a post-COVID world, you're all invited over for a listen.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• F6 in Main System.JPG
    F6 in Main System.JPG
    856.3 KB · Views: 992
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bruce:

The power switch is a 25mm diameter anti-vandal switch with a blue ring LED illumination, manufactured by Langir on a custom order basis (Langir part no. L25-F/R Z2 A R B 24). I selected Langir because their reputation was on a par with Schurter and Langir's pricing was far lower than the other high quality alternatives. I hosted three group buys for those switches 8-9 years ago (see, for example, Large Illuminated Anti-Vandal Switch) and used one of the few units I reserved for myself.

I tried a smaller-diameter anti-vandal switch on another project and regretted it; the button on a 19mm switch is just too small for my stubby fingers. 25mm diameter switches feel just right for me.

These days, anti-vandal switches are pretty easy to find. You might consider looking for a bi-color unit and pairing it with Mark Johnson's H9KPXG soft start board, which could toggle the color of the switch's LEDs as the amp is turned on and off. Just a thought...

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Langir Stainless Steel 25mm Switches (3rd Order).jpg
    Langir Stainless Steel 25mm Switches (3rd Order).jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 928
  • Langir Stainless Steel 25mm Switches (3rd Order Single Unit).jpg
    Langir Stainless Steel 25mm Switches (3rd Order Single Unit).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 924
F5

Hello everybody,
Posting some images of my recently completed First Watt F5 monoblocks.
It was a fun project. Still need to build speakers to properly test it :)

Attachments

• Progress5.jpeg
    Progress5.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 525
  • Progress4.jpeg
    Progress4.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 853
  • Progress3.jpeg
    Progress3.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 860
  • Progress2.jpeg
    Progress2.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 850
  • Progress1.jpeg
    Progress1.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 980
  • Ready.jpeg
    Ready.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 988
Whoa! I find it fairly intimidating to imagine drilling a 25mm hole in a 10mm thick aluminum front panel! Lots of clamps to keep it solidly locked in position, lots of cutting fluid, and lots of bravery. The drill bit alone appears to cost USD 27.00, zounds.

i'm lucky to live in an area surrounded by many metal workshop with giant heavy tools, which some produce fastener bolt as big as my leg, and most importantly not too expensive labour cost. i think that investing on metal tools is not effective unless you are on production/service job, for woodworking is still affordable price.

i built my own chassis with 10mm aluminium plate, rough square cut and cleaned by milling station @2HP motor. so much fun watching the operator man on working :D

you made custom purchase at Modushop, as whole case, or you bought elements of your choice, to complete it?

I have purchased standard 4U 230mm wide Galaxy cases from Modushop and mounted 250x200mm heat sinks on the front panels myself.
It turned out not too hard to do. At least not harder than making back panel holes for AC socket or drilling and tapping heat sinks :D