B1 Buffer Preamp

Andrew,

I do not see anywhere in the manual where it shows an unbalanced connector can be connected to the amp (either written or a picture of this).

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to modify the amp input. That is why I was wondering if I would lose any benefit of the B1 by either coming out of the B1 with an RCA and using a RCA to XLR connector to the amp OR going RCA from the B1 into my Onkyo CD inputs (which I am doing now). I hope all of that makes sense. Thanks.

James

Turn on thump

Hi,
I have completed my B1 and it seems to work fine apart from a loud turn on thump. It is being tested with a chipamp and an old pair of speakers. I have a single pole switch on the DC power in for the +ve. Pulling out the power plug also causes a thump but probably not so loud.

I checked the DC on the output and it reads 0.15V and decreases to 0 in around 2 mins. The diode (1N914) has the bar towards the middle of the board.

Should I have a 2 pole switch for ground and +v?. I am using a laptop power supply with 19.5V.

Thanks,
Kffern

the B1 has a DC blocking capacitor on it's output.
This cap must charge to it's final operating voltage after start up. This will send a pulse to the next stage.

Similarly the capacitor must discharge after switching off. This will send another pulse to the next stage.

There are disadvantages to single ended ClassA, this is one of them.

Hey Guys
Just thought I would post a couple shots of finished B1.

Attachments

• 100_2308.jpg
    100_2308.jpg
    933.3 KB · Views: 924
  • 100_2303.jpg
    100_2303.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 860
Joined 2003
Paid Member
what I suggested should work to ameliorate this...

And is standard protocol with separates in any event. As has been stated 2 or three times. Why would anyone purposefully turn off or on a pre amp with the power amp already powered up anyway?
Good practice would be not to fool with any thing upstream while the power amp is on. Turning it off first keeps various transients at shut down of upstream components from being amplified and sent to the speakers.

Russellc

Last edited:
The pic is posted at above 2573.
It is very simple just come off of your existing output RCA
jacks.solder a wire from ground to ground on another RCA.
then simply solder a wire from center pin to center pin .
all you are doing is wiring 2 more RCA parallel off existing Jacks.
just look close at the picture the smallest wire is feeding
the Sub outputs.
can you post a picture to see how it is done?

Thanks