OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and this crazy song about an enema bandit stood out for me
That would be the "Illinois Enema Bandit" ( see "Zappa in New York", 1976 ). This of course was based upon a true story.
I saw FZ perform this in Ft. Wayne about that time. It came complete with assorted stage antics ( including an enema bag ).
It was amazing to watch him conduct, as well as play.

I recommend "The Tubes - Completion Backwards Principle".
I saw them in Louisville w Todd Rundgren. Drum kit looked like a chrome Harley Davidson. Complete non-stop stage show with costume changes and backup singers dressed like French Courtesans to sing W.P.O.D. as a finale.

Re: the grateful dead like phish

tweetertox said:
heya moondog-

love those live recordings and that's sure a classic recording... but for me the bootlegs kinda say it all, i love how tape trading created a sorta correspondence community that linked fans/friends/family...a couple i know, married for years, met trading tapes by one answering the other's add. pre internet dating i guess!
but anyway, oya- did ya know the dead wanted good quality bootlegs floating around so they'd have a section near the stage FOR the bootleggers...it's funny cause nowadays big bands are all mad at the internet for ruining royalties, but the Dead was totally encouraging of their pirates...

c2thomas- well, you're doing better than me...my parents wouldn't let me leave the country for concerts, and then i had no money, and then he died. and i got into them to late to see the last canadian show they did...i started hanging with the 'heads at 18 and at 20 he was dead. i missed my window. i always catch on to everything about a split second too late...
you mention the wall of sound. that feat of technoliciousness makes me soooo proud to be a freakflagflyer!
as to your question " can really be considered a "Dead Head"...if you have to ask i'm afraid not- but Dead Enjoyers are highly encouraged....you have not been infected but may help us transmit the virus to others...(insert twilight zone theme)

Hk2- i did get to a phish show. a weekend concert in plattsburg...uh 98 i think...i think they did four shows...100 000 dirty dready lazy crazy definitely inhaling laughing dancing hippies. nice place.

genesis is good...i never lumped it with the stoner/hippy/psychedelic scene so much myself. but it's definitely beautiful innovative music.
i am so jealous you saw zappa! i got to see dweezil this summer at on outdoor stage of the ottawa bluesfest. had to go, see zappa DNA running aroung the stage! zappa does zappa- tribute to his dad. ten minute joe's garage and this crazy song about an enema bandit stood out for me.

tube...i don't know! i'll have to check it.

later dudes!

My teenage son is an old soul, has excellent taste in music and also wishes he could have seen the Dead. He recently saw the Dark Star Orchestra in concert and highly recommends them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_Orchestra

You mention the wall of sound, are you aware that John Curl is a member here? He's mentioned for his contributions here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead
"The Wall of Sound fulfilled the band's desire for a distortion-free sound system that could also serve as its own monitoring system. After Stanley got out of prison in late 1972, he, Dan Healy and Mark Raizene of the Grateful Dead's sound crew, in collaboration with Ron Wickersham, Rick Turner, and John Curl of Alembic combined eleven separate sound systems in an effort to deliver high-quality sound to audiences."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71189

Perhaps you knew or noticed this already?

I've seen the Dead about 5 or 6 times back in my college days, BTW.

Pete B.

John Curl Fan

heya

moondog

i don't even have a record player right now...i'm building slowly just need a turntable now...but i still pick up vinyl that grabs me for 'one day'. oh, and you're right! heads' will hold onto their stuff like an art appreciator clutches his monet.

i'll keep an eye out for 'obscurity' for ya! four eyes are better than two!

HK2
thanks for the info! and i will definitely check the Tubes, sounds crazy!

pb2/pete

Dude that was totally news to me...the wall of sound just came up kinda randomly in connection to the topic. and then it never occurred to me i'd find anything about it here. i'm blown away. and now i'm feeling actually kinda starstruck and shy and excited to tell the ol heads i know GUESS WHAT??? (wayne and garth scream "WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!")

so anyway...i'll check darkstar orchestra...
there used to be a band called 'jerry's kids' here in ottawa back in 'the day'...they'd do tiny shows for local fans, very simply presented, but still a lot of fun. but it'd be awesome to see their sound reproduced on a more ;professional' or technical scale...

thanks again for opening my eyes- here i thought i was dipping my toes in a man-made quarry by joining DIYaudio...and instead i find i'm looking out across the primordial ooze...

jane

wall of sound

hey pete!

just did a search for mention of curl's wall of sound...nothing specific came up...perhaps, as i read in the thread you posted the link for, mr. curl is very 'secret' (ie humble) and has not liked to toot his own horn, or else he sees the past as the past, and is busy learning new tricks. if nothing else, the story and specs concerning that wall of sound, if no longer on the cutting edge, do provide a great inspiration and incentive for members here to keep working together, keep the ideas flowing, keep faith that even more influential and important work is yet to come.

the documentation on his work is already out there, so why not have that resource/information here where it'll do the kids some good? do you think it would be weird for me to start a thread stating this honoured member's achievement in that venture, and then invite other members to either expand on the material or to mention other great artistic and cultural innovators in the audio/engineering field and their accomplisments?
just a thought! lemme know what you all think.

jane

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hey Jane,
no need for insults, I'm not quite old enough to be considered "primordial"
OOZE thats a different matter, I'm proud to 'ooze'

I'm more into primitive rock; as in bashing two stones together, and I'd start with Mick and Ron!!!
!!insert laugh here!!

Esoterica **I have albums from "Redbone" but for pure "smokin" music Pink Flloyds "MEDDLE" played loud

no insult intended

i'm so sorry if there was any misunderstanding...i just was seeking a metaphor to explain the re-source i think this place is...and what is an inspection of the primordial ooze but a
re[turn to the ]source
...the imagination, the mind, the heart, the spirit....but now i'm getting gushy.

friends?

jane

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi tweeter -

John C. had a role in the creation of the Dead's "Wall of Sound" but it was not entirely his creation. I'm not sure if they could have made it sound as good as it did without him ------ but that is a question that he could answer much better than I. I was but a mere observer of the technoinovation being presented that was created to reproduce "Da Dead" to the highest levels possible. The purpose of that high level of reproduction was because the Dead wanted their fans to be able to tune into what they were performing and enjoy it as much as they were. We did do that - hell - I'm still smiling :D

http://dozin.com/wallofsound/index.html

A brick in the wall of sound

oops-

Sorry...i meant to say i'd like to discuss John Curl's role as a collaborator, as well as the electronic end result of all that synergistic rocknroll sexiness. Of course i understand that many amazing folk were involved with creating the WALL OF SOUND. One way of accessing and understanding such a massive undertaking is to study/ discuss the way one component, one creator, one member of group, has contributed to the project. I think that's what i meant to say! sound good?

jane

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hey jane - No apologies necessary (but appreciated) - I was simply attempting to give credit where credit is due. John certainly deserves a boatload of credit (and our appreciation) for all the contributions he has made to the audio world - along with some other great contributors to diyAudio. Man - when I think about the people that toss in here I get a little awe struck. For a technogeek such as myself this place is heaven! The frosting on the cake is that most of us here are using technology as a tool with which to access the work that performers have recorded - and we want to squeeze every bit or what went into that performance out of our "systems" and into our body - spirit - and soul. The artist get to have fun making it - we get to have fun playing it. Funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfun!!!!!!!

"One way of accessing and understanding such a massive undertaking is to study/ discuss the way one component, one creator, one member of group, has contributed to the project." Yep! Recognize!! Once upon a time in another life I got paid to facilitate and build teams and improve processes. A gig I enjoyed so much that I wondered when they were going to ask me to pay them for having all that fun. Different people - minds - spirits - getting to rumba together - coooooooooool!

Re: wall of sound

tweetertox said:
hey pete!

just did a search for mention of curl's wall of sound...nothing specific came up...perhaps, as i read in the thread you posted the link for, mr. curl is very 'secret' (ie humble) and has not liked to toot his own horn, or else he sees the past as the past, and is busy learning new tricks. if nothing else, the story and specs concerning that wall of sound, if no longer on the cutting edge, do provide a great inspiration and incentive for members here to keep working together, keep the ideas flowing, keep faith that even more influential and important work is yet to come.

the documentation on his work is already out there, so why not have that resource/information here where it'll do the kids some good? do you think it would be weird for me to start a thread stating this honoured member's achievement in that venture, and then invite other members to either expand on the material or to mention other great artistic and cultural innovators in the audio/engineering field and their accomplisments?
just a thought! lemme know what you all think.

jane

Hi Jane,

JC has just briefly mentioned that he designed some of the equipment used by the Dead. I don't know his work well, but there are amplifiers such as the JC1, 2 etc., the legendary Vendetta pre amp, and more. He designs for Parasound now as I understand it, but he should answer the question himself. I think the thread is an excellent idea considering the significance of The Wall of Sound; I'd enjoy learning more about it.
Here's a picture that I've had around for many years:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/GRATEFUL_DEAD_SS.jpg

You'll find more if you just search on Grateful Dead:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sear...64126840&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1233111&highlight=#post1233111

good stuff

hey moondog

I always forget about the aussie edginess! I guess i can blame my nationality on my oversensitivity...we canadians tend to err on the side of caution and extreme politeness!

MOONDOG

speaking of stoner rock...

this song by the dead seems apropos

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

Its a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
Perhaps theyre better left unsung.
I dont know, dont really care
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

But if you fall you fall alone,
If you should stand then whos to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home.

La dee da da da, la da da da da, da da da, da da, da da da da da
La da da da, la da da, da da, la da da da, la da, da d

jane

My son, Paul, often puts on music in the kitchen right before dinner and I've noticed that lately he picks that tune. He just asked me a few days ago if I liked that particular cut saying that it's one of his favorites, and I said yes its one of my favorites also - must be genetic or something, lol! I've also often thought that there's something beautiful in the harmonies. Interesting that you mention it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Aussies are a weird mob, while we are usually polite ( or indifferent to strangers we tend to insult our friends.
I do like the track, damn I better hook a TT up and find a few tracks, that'll be fun; one of my turntables seems to have taken a walk after the last visit from my kids, so I have to go and dig up the spare.
I keep the good TT for new vinyl and the other TT for stuff that has been played a bit, still it's good to know I've raised kids with taste.
keep on truckin
Ted

Pete
the kids are alright!

Moondog
The Aussies are so the opposite of Canadians...while super polite with strangers we tend to make fun of our ownselves for our 'intimates' benefit, tell stories that put us in a silly light, or reveal our foibles for others to chide, that sort of thing. Not that one way is better than the other, just different. And that's okay by me, cause another thing Canadians are is Accepting of Diversity. At least that's what the NFB movies i saw in school told me.

For a great (no the BEST) example of the Canadian humour check
the CBC tv series THE KIDS IN ThE HALL (long off the air but available). i'm not actually off topic by recommending the show because there is one skit that's about getting stoned and music...

So the skit starts out with a pothead on a mission "GOTTA GET HIGH". He walks into an empty warehouse to discover Satan playing mad electric guitar. The devil tries to get him to trade his soul for weed but he's all like "UM...nah nah no thanks anyway man". The stoner keeps denying his offers- fame fortune and all that. Finally the devil sweetens the deal by offering up a lifetime supply of pot. He gives the devil his super hippy cool jean jacket, all patched and written on just right. The devil gives him hair that look like dreadlocks made of big huge buds. The pothead's explanation for making a deal with the master of evil? "hey- i can make another jacket, okay. but brain cells...they're gone forever."

jane

Jane

Thought I'd seen most of the "Kids" episodes ( taped most of them ).
Missed that episode...my favorites include "Bobby vs Satan" . Bobby is tempted and has to duel the devil. The devil counters Bobby's use of the "Holy Trinity of Rock" ( the 3 chords to Smoke on the Water ), by sprouting extra arms to help him shread.
Canadian TV Humor is much edgier than U.S. stuff. Remember SCTV...
It featured a segment called the "Fishin' Musician". The host, Gil Fisher, was played by the late great John Candy.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Gil would invite bands to go fishing and perform their music at his ScuttleButt Lounge.
One of the best performance was by The Tubes ( small world eh ),
They went lake fishing in their suits, and performed their "fishy" hit - Sushi Girl ( classic ).
You forgot to mention the Trailer Park Boys
trailer-park-boys-poster.jpg

They kidnapped Alex Lifeson and crawled through sewers to see Rush.
Bubbles ( in real life a good musician ) does an acoustic jam with Lifeson on "Closer To The Heart". There is a video featuring Rush and Bubbles together.
The boys meet Sebastian Bach at a model railroad convention, in Maine. Sebastian is out of place at this family oriented activity, and buys all the weed that Ricky can scrape out of the cracks and crevices in his car. Together they hatch a plan to smuggle weed over he border using a model train.
Canadian Humor at it's best.

Re: Ripple

tweetertox said:
Oops!

I forgot to title the song- it's called "RIPPLE" and is my favourite song EVER not just in this category.

I've always felt from the first few listens of this song that it had a hymn like quality. Never listened close enough to try to get the full meaning or do lyrical analysis, but caught phrases here and there. "not made by the hands of man", "cup be empty", "no simple highway", "knew the way" etc.

Interesting, have you done an analysis?

Just found this online: http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/ripple.html#analysis

From that link:
"Ripple Lyric written in London, 1970. According to an interview with Hunter in a documentary film by Jeremy Marre, "Ripple," "Brokedown Palace" and "To Lay Me Down" were all composed in one afternoon, over a half-bottle of retsina. (The film aired on VH-1 on April 16, 1997.) "

Pete B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.