OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Atomic Rooster, The Moody Blues, Blue Öyster Cult, Flash, Cheech and Chong, Black oak Arkansas, CCR, Jimi, Janus, Jefferson Airplane, Foghat, REO, Mountain( this was a FM DJ's favorite Nantucket Sleighride @ 31+minutes, as long as the record didn't skip you were set to take nap, lol.) and so many many more.

At 55, I consider myself an old stoner. I think I've tried( and probably fried) every way there was to self medicate and had a lot of fun doing it. Marijuana, LSD, coca
in all it's different flavors, opium in all it's different flavors, Lemmons/714, mushroom, cactus, barbital in all there different flavors, bensos in all there different flavors, and PCP once(that was enough).

I'm listening to Spirit- Twelve dreams of Dr. Sardonicus. It's one of my favorite CD from way back. It's to bad I never seen them. And I've seen a lot of good groups; Pink Floyd in 73 and 78, Kansas with L skyndard, Atomic Rooster in 1971, Alice Cooper in 1971 @ the Pepsi Colosseum @ Indianapolis, Uriah Hemp @ Tendal Armory 1972 Indianapolis, Kiss with Bob Seagar, talk about screwed a up line up, and so many more.

Just ask and I've probably seen them.

a much more challenging discussion would've been naming a 70s rock that's not 'stoner'. :D

You are right.

Abba.
Carpenters.
Captain & Tennille.
The Partridge Family.

And some would debate even those. A lot would depend on the stoner in question.

Here's one not-perfect list of 70s rock bands:

List Of 70's Bands & Artists (alphabetical order) - Classic Rock Forum

This site has a lot of cool-looking song lists, to jog the memory (they are selling the songs):

http://www.nutsie.com/top100sradio/Top 100 70s Songs/2117977

Tom

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay, went through the entire list here and didn't see any of these:

Chambers Brothers "The Time Has Come" - Great with dripping dry cleaning bag light show
Youngbloods "Elephant Mountain"
Savoy Brown "Raw Sienna"
Buffalo Springfield "Retrospective"
The Band "Music From Big Pink"
Mountain "Climbing" (Mississippi Queen album) "Nantucket Sleghride"
Jefferson Airplane "Surrealistic Pillow"
Wishbone Ash "Wishbone Ash", "Pilgrimage"
Country Joe and the Fish - (self titled)
Spirit (Self titled)

And for the record; "It's A Beautiful Day" had three albums as It's a Beautiful day; First one (original white bird album), "Marrying Maiden" & "Choice Quality Stuff/Anytime". I have all three plus pretty much whatever else I ccould find (Patty Santos crap etc.)

Oh and "Edward The Mad Shirt Grinder" got featured whenever Nikki Hopkins sat in with Quicksilver.
Doc

Last edited:
Someone, i think it was Zen-Mod, mentioned MAGMA at the beginning of this thread and i would like to point to one of their best pieces, currently available at youtube.
It is Part 3 of the Theusz Hamtaahk-Trilogy and it is called Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh.

http://youtu.be/61cIieQOdac

All 3 Parts are available on DVD. Excellent stuff!

Some info about Magma:
Magma (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best regards
Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.