OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I listened to a lot of Yes (mostly Fragile and Close to the Edge), and some Pink Floyd (my first concert was Pink Floyd, just after they released Dark Side of the Moon), Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, but later also a lot of Crosby Stills and Nash (and w/Young). I liked REO Speedwagon and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, too, plus lots and lots of other stuff, and a lot of classical.

(It's not "rock", but...) With LSD (or pot, actually, or...nothing), one of THE BEST things to listen to is an album side with the Fifteen Three-Part Inventions, by J.S. Bach, played by George Malcolm on harpsichord. It's on Nonesuch Records (Two and Three Part Inventions). They are still available on ebay from time to time (right now, actually), although I usually buy them to have extra copies, whenever I see them. NOTE that NO OTHER version of them will do. (I have all that are available and they all suck except for that one, which is brilliant.)

Cheers,

Tom

Pffffft... .

THIS is old stoner music...

Ay-1.jpg

CoverRear.jpg

2007/176/5 Record album, 'Emergency Ward', vinyl / paper, made by the Australian Marijuana Party, Australia, 1979 - Powerhouse Museum Collection

A vinyl record album and sleeve. The words "Emergency Ward" are printed in red across the front of the album. There is a cartoon of a brain in a hospital bed attached to machines. On the bed side table next to the brain is drug paraphernalia.

Inside the front cover of the sleeve are the following list of songs and artists:
Scene 1.
1. Glory, Glory- The Hallelujah Hookers
2. Man Smoke Dope- Bad boy Billy
3. The Drought- Little Reefer Band
4. Dog Squad- True Deals
5. The Reefers Edge- Jo Jo Zip
6. This n That- Jimmy O'kif

Scene 2.
1. Marijuana Mexicana- Tijuana Grass
2. Coming Down in the Botanical gardens- Harry Belladonna
3. Mary Jane- Joan Buzz and the Believers
4. Lets Forget- Harry Tourniquet and the Overdose
5. I'm Stoned- Inertia

Scene 3.
1. No Money for Dope- Captain Stashbox
2. Groceries, Sir- The Imbibers
3. L.S.D.- the Transcenders
4. I don't want no can a beer - Cold Chillum
5. Red with White Spots - The Spores

Scene 4.
1. A Block of Hash - Bhong Crosby * Apologies to Frank Snnorter
2. Plain Jane - The Cultivators
3. Stoned right down - the Neurons
4. Make that bust - Harvey Bates and the Wallbangers
5. The Stash with no Gear - Joes Sergi and his Riverina Hitmen
6. Drugs, Drugs, Drugs - Mogadon Madonna

back in the old days a mate had a vinyl copy - I hunted down an mp3 copy on the net. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, nobody even mentioned one of the obvious (and great) ones!

Song: "Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel)"
Artist: Kansas
Album: Masque

And make sure you throw in another one from the same album: "The Pinnacle".

I love the 70s stuff; memories, maybe. But anyone who loves to "zone in" and really focus on the music should really get off on those.

To paraphrase something I read: Kansas was unique, merging complex arrangements, challenging time signatures, and philosophical lyrics with a punchy heartland rock sensibility. Their blend of cosmic grandeur and Midwestern boogie made their music special, and memorable.

In my opinion, in some ways both early Kansas and early Yes resemble a Classical wolf in a rock-n-roll sheep's clothing. Maybe that's because their music is more complex and less repetitive than most "normal" rock and roll. They should appeal to many who are thoughtful and intelligent (That means you.).

If you've never fallen in love with the early Kansas music, at least get the albums "Song for America", "Masque", and "Leftoverture", which were their second through fourth albums.

In addition to the two songs from Masque that I already mentioned, at least sample "Miracles Out of Nowhere" and "What's on My Mind" from Leftoverture (which also contains the actually-popular "Carry on Wayward Son"), and "Song for America" from Song for America. (There are many other absolute gems on each of those albums but I can't remember their names, at the moment.)

And if you don't own any older Yes, at least get the albums "Fragile", "The Yes Album", and "Close to the Edge".

Turn it up.

Rock on, man.

Last edited:
If you listen to the vinyl of Grand Funk's first album, in the last cut, "Getting Closer To Home", the drummer goes off the beat.
I didn't even know this thread existed. Everybody was knockin' Grand Funk, though, so I had to step up. Closer To Home was maybe the third GFR album. I've never noticed the off beat. Is this the album track or the single edit? I've heard errant "stick clicks" from Neil Peart. Don Brewer is a perfectly capable drummer, and there's nothing else quite like his kick drum and Mel's fat bass lines together. I've been collecting the GFR CD remasters. Old stoner rock seems to be pretty old, but no one has mentioned the Allman Bros, Spirit, Commander Cody, Doug Sahm, Captain Beyond, The Godz.
I also listen to some Steppenwolf and Tommy Bolin-era James Gang. I have some good stuff John Kay did on his early solo albums and Tommy is one of the all-time great guitarists IMO.

I've repeated a few but some bands I didn't see are Humble Pie and Budgie. I remember a time when it seemed like everyone had copies of Best of BTO, Nazareth Hair of the Dog, Foghat Live, and Thin Lizzy Jailbreak. I was probably more into Wings and Steve Miller Band. I guess we should stick to OLD Stoner Rock or else Louis Armstrong "Song of the Vipers" is fair game.
I've also often thought that there's something beautiful in the harmonies. Interesting that you mention it.
American Beauty does have some of the finest harmony vocals. I mentioned this once online to a Deadhead and was told CSN played a role. When I think of "Attics Of My Life" I think of it acappella.

Spent the last 4 hours since I woke up revisiting Led Zep.. Man I almost forgot how amazing Page was, almost lol... No reefer, just green tea and pbj toast this time around:cool:, although thinking way back when, one can almost smell the incense and that funny green stuff floating about the air :D

YouTube - ‪Led Zeppelin - The Ocean‬‏

Some page jamming Kash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODidAgdL40Y

And some Philx playing a Page issue Les Paul and groovin some tone
http://www.youtube.com/user/frettedamericana#p/u/70/7bmKD-BTIlU

Last edited:
I smoke two joints in the morning at night I smoke two joints
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
And then it makes me feel alright!
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
And then I smoke two more!

Ha,ha,ha,ha

and, Who could forget,

I got stoned and I missed it! by Dr. Hook.

he,he,he

jer

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.