OLD Stoner Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
l

Hey Dudes

Moondog!

It's so funny there's been mention of "you can't do that on television"...I grew up watching it saturday morning. It was actually filmed in my town, Ottawa, by the local CTV station. I always thought that was cool. Not much on the popular culture front hereabouts, and nearly no 'counter-culture'. Just bureaucrats and computer software designers as far as the eye can see....don't get me wrong, I love it here. It's just pretty square.

...Which reminds me that TOM GREEN is from ottawa too, and gained international fame of sorts as a comedian and improvisational humourist and comedy actor. He started out at the local cable station- rogers. All they ever played was city hall meetings and if you showed up with an idea and willingness to work hard they'd give you a show. So he did, while still in highschool. It was tres tres ridiculous. I love his early stuff...i think i'm gonna see if i can find me some cable tv tom green!

HK
Ihaven't seen sctv since i stopped getting the reruns on tv a few years back. That show is just good medecine (laughter is the best!).

As to Trailer Park boys
Hilarious. And i thought of another way they tie to rocknroll!
***so bubbles was really sad and ricki and joey wanted to cheer him up so they kidnapped a member of the Guess Who and made him play the guitar with Bubbles.*******
HEY! they stole that skit from SCTV!
and NBC stole the trailer park boys and called it "My Name is Earl", but it's not quite as edgy and satirical because the americans have to give everyone redeemability. We Canadians, though polite, are not anywhere near that generous! LOL
OH- and EVERYONE in comedy steals from THE KIDS IN THE HALL

But that's how art is i guess...i read art described once as "a thief that comes into your house and takes everything away and brings it all back and puts it all back in a different way". (quote attributed, i think, to Maria Cambell in "The Story of Jessica: a Theatrical Transformation" ALERT*****extremely important book WILL blow your mind so eat light before you sit down to it************) I like that.
But still. Some writers and actors are either way overworked or way lazy...i mean who is going to write the stuff TV Shows can rip off for the NEXT ten years. These are truly trying times.
sigh.

Hey Pete! That brings us right back to 'Ripple'! it's hymn like quality kind of 'rips off' (riffs) or borrows from church music, and because so many people grow up singing in church, or at least listening, and in a context of some spiritual or at least community-oriented atmosphere, they are preconditioned to receive the song with that same attitude of contemplativeness. That piggybacking effect is so effective because they are not in any way 'counter-culturing' or making fun of or devaluing or re-valuing the initial inspiration- the church hymn is not threatened but improved upon, made more accessible, more understandable, less laden with words (symbols/images) associated with a religion that may have negative or shaming connotations to many, that create thoughts that distract from sheer enjoyment/understanding.

As to a lyrical analysis of the song, i've first got to decide on my parameters. I'll give it some thought, check that link, and get back to you!
I like that bio bit about the writing of the song. I'd been about to credit the lyrics and title to Robert Hunter, since his position within the organization had been due to his amazing abilities with the English language, and he was technically the one that wrote down the lyrics. However, I remembered how collaborative the band was, and how loosely the band defined the term "band", and attributed the song to the Grateful Dead.

jane

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Too much analysis can ruin a song or poem.
After all it is still only one persons etelling of what went through their mind while listening.
Also it is wrong to read lyrics as stand-alone prose, sonr lyrics and the music a a gestalt one without the other is an orphan with no connection to the world.
I write some poetry and the occassional song, and sometimes its is only about the way the words fit together to make a pleasant sound, those who read /listen to what I write are free to interpret it in any way they want/feel/have too.
I alliterate because it sounds so good, sometimes the best stuff just comes unbidden, written down unjudged and left alone because changing it to mean anything works less well than the original.

PB2 said:
I agree, and generally I do not do this sort of analysis, but this is one of those songs that sparked my interest to dig deeper since I first heard it about 20 years ago.

I like how the "ripple" is special, it is a ripple in still water without an earthly cause:
"Where there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow "

Pete B.

This "Ripple" is suggestive of Aristotle's unmoved mover.

Concentric circles

Heya'll

Pete-
It's unfortunate more straight academics haven't delved into the rich treasure trove of rock'n'roll, as the lay-fan will have less tools to
decipher and translate in text the themes and motifs evoked by a performed lyric/song.

I like the bit about the ripple too.
Have you read Plotinus? In his view the GOOD is like the mover theory except he describes the process as rays of light kinda pouring down and they flow over and pour down, so you get further and further from the GOOD, except that you are it's original source at the same time (not a distant object affected by another object.)

that reminds me of the "if your cup be empty" line....

Moondog
I totally agree that by picking something to pieces we can lose the original meaning and enjoyment of a song. However i do believe that by using a piece of art as a focus of analytical speculation we free the senses to be moved and communicated to...the same as the aim for many in prayer or meditation...hymns are that middle ground i think, between contemplation of religious symbolism and the greater realities informing them, and the effects of certain vibrations and sounds on the organism, both symbolic and actual.

As a poet/whatever i totally align with what i call your process, the way you use the technology of sound and symbol to speak your heart/mind. I've been thinking that instead of getting confused what to call myself - poet/writer/lyricist etc..., i'll start a new category...the TECHNICIANS OF TEXT.
I Love alliteration as well as you!!

SEASON"S GREETING'S BTW!!!!

jane

If you can just get your mind togather then
Number Nine
come on across to me
Trumpet and violins I can hear in the distance
I think they're calling sweet jane
But first are you number nine
Have you ever been experienced
Well, I talk to the wind
not necessarily stoned but
much confusion disillusion

monkey and the engineer

heya'll

for all the kind bud smokin', 'Dead lovin' engineers out there...

Grateful Dead Monkey and the Engineer Lyrics:

Once upon a time there was an engineer.
Drove a locomotive both far and near.
Accompanied by a monkey that would sit on a stool
Watching everything the engineer would move
One day the engineer wanted a bite to eat,
He left the monkey sitting on the driver's seat,
The monkey pulled the throttle, the locomotive jumped the gun
And did 90 miles an hour down the mainline run.

Big locomotive right on time, big locomotive coming down the line.
[ Find more Lyrics at www.mp3lyrics.org/Zy3 ]
Big locomotive No. 99, left the engineer with a worried mind.

The engineer called up the dispatcher on the phone,
To tell him all about his locomotive was gone.
Get on the wire, switch operator to the right,
Cause the monkey's got the main line sewed up tight.
The switch operator got the message on time,
Said there's a Northbound livin' on the same main line,
Open up the switch I'm gonna let him through the hole,
Cause the monkey's got the locomotive under control.

Big locomotive right on time, big locomotive coming down the line.
Big locomotive No. 99, left the engineer with a worried mind.
Lyrics: Monkey and the Engineer, Grateful Dead [end]

Does anyone here have the sheet music for Tarkus? I've googled around for it and have seen people talk about out of print books with sheet music for Tarkus in it. After seeing this
YouTube - ELP- Tarkus- performed by Mauro Mulas
I thought it might be interesting to play around with it. I've got two keyboards, a Korg Poly-6 and a MIDI keyboard I use with an EMU Vintage Keys system. I couldn't find the sheet music at amazon.com or Ebay, either.

I found some sheet music here on youtube. It even plays. It looks like its a MIDI program playing.
YouTube - Tarkus Part I - Eruption

You can do screen captures to copy the sheet music.

Last edited:
At this moment an exelent Dutch press version of Deep Purple's old LP "Machine Head" rotates ones or twice every day here ;)

Wow that brings back some old memories... Highway Star... Was Child in Time on that LP too?

How about Uriah Heep, Magician's Birthday? (My then-teenage son went through all of my LPs, and generally liked the same songs I had liked. But when I asked him about Magician's Birthday, he said "No... I didn't have any... heroin... or whatever it would take to get into that one...". [I didn't tell him what it actually took.])

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.