The "Elsinore Project" Thread - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 06:27 AM   #801
diyAudio Member
 
Joe Rasmussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
P

FILLER BOARD

Any suggestions? I can also go with 158x228
when I make the circle template it will have to be for one size board .

Joel
Of the top of my head, the ones Steve made we gave it 1.5mm all round, so that makes it 157 x 227mm - this makes for less tight fitting and matching with the tweeter's position, and also a little gap all round doesn't look bad to the eye if it is ever so slightly rounded off.

Ask Spoonted how it looks as he got one of Steves.

Cheers, Joe R.
__________________
The "Elsinore Project" DIY Speaker System
Custom Analogue Audio - we also support and promote non-profit DIY
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 06:43 AM   #802
diyAudio Member
 
Joe Rasmussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys

I just had speaker Brad Serhan from Orpheus Loudspeakers come over and spend the afternoon. We've known each other for over twenty years. After listening to the Mk5, his first opportunity to hear that version, he was gob-smacked. He says he went to CES in Las vegas a few months ago and heard the best of the best and heard nothing better and probably not even as good. So I decided to put him on the spot, I aksed him, playing in own music, if he was hearing things he had not heard before on his own familiar music. Yep!

I am afraid that the Mk5 will be the last hurrah. Much of what has been learnt will now be looked at in developing new speaker systems commercially, based on maximising current delivery from voltage sources. That is why the Mk5 design will be made available - and simply be described as the last Elsinores - and details behind its workings will be limited. It kinda goes against the original idea - but in the end even those details will become more obvious, just can't spell everything out at this time. It's just that sometimes you have to close a door temporarily and then re-open when you are ready later.

My recommendation, just build them and enjoy them.

Cheers, Joe R.
__________________
The "Elsinore Project" DIY Speaker System
Custom Analogue Audio - we also support and promote non-profit DIY
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 06:57 AM   #803
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Good luck Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:22 AM   #804
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Courtice, Ontario
PAINTED WAVEGUIDES

I have to say they turned out rather perfect.

I'll try to get filler boards made next week. I set up for 157 x 227 unless there's is another idea.

After this I can get boxed weight at post office.

Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0251.JPG (866.0 KB, 666 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0265.JPG (605.8 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0274.JPG (616.2 KB, 589 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 10:12 AM   #805
ABO is offline ABO  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amst
Joel,

The waveguides look great.

How might I fit them into a new build (assuming they are on offer)? Would I still need a filler board, or could I somehow flush-mount the waveguide in the top baffle.
That would look much better than the big rectangular cut-out that everybody has now (YMMV).

Thanks,
Lex

By the way: From the photos the waveguides don't seem to have the right depth. Are they 18 mm?

Last edited by ABO; 8th April 2011 at 10:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:07 PM   #806
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Courtice, Ontario
HI Lex

Quote:
The waveguides look great.
Thank's

Quote:
By the way: From the photos the waveguides don't seem to have the right depth. Are they 18 mm?
The thickness measured 18mm before painting. Painting has added .5mm so were at 18.5mm measured by eye.

Quote:
How might I fit them into a new build (assuming they are on offer)? Would I still need a filler board, or could I somehow flush-mount the waveguide in the top baffle.
That would look much better than the big rectangular cut-out that everybody has now (YMMV).
I'm fitting mine without the filler. Veneering(raw veneer - .6mm) 18mm mdf should bring the waveguide close to flush on front. I'm using 18mm plywood that is 17.5mm so recessing the waveguide into the sub front panel can make it flush.

The waveguides will be offered as soon as I get the weight at the post office. At this point we have to figure out the best way to receive the payments and then get them built..

Joel
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 08:28 AM   #807
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Hi Guys,
I'd like to know how the 831735 compares to the 830875? Could these be substituted for the 830875' without any other modification to the design.

Peerless 831735 6-1/2" HDS Driver

Peerless 831735 Specifications:

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max
VCdia: 1-1/4"
Le: 0.88 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 5.1 ohms
Frequency response: 38-4,200 Hz
Fs: 38 Hz
SPL: 86.5 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 0.9 cu. ft.
Qms: 3.02
Qes: 0.50
Qts: 0.43
Xmax: 6 mm
Dimensions: A: 7-3/16", 6-9/16" across flats, B: 5-3/4", C: 3-5/8".

830875 Specifications:

Power handling: 50 watts (IEC 2685 18.1)
VCdia: 1-1/4"
Le: 1.3 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.4 ohms
Frequency response: 20-6,500 Hz
Fs: 48.1 Hz
SPL: 88.6 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: 0.62 cu. ft.
Qms: 2.67
Qes: 0.45
Qts: 0.39
Xmax: 5.5 mm
Dimensions: Overall diameter 7.18", 6.7" across flats, Cutout diameter 5.75", Depth 3.25".

Thanks,
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:15 AM   #808
diyAudio Member
 
Joe Rasmussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_pc View Post
Hi Guys,
I'd like to know how the 831735 compares to the 830875? Could these be substituted for the 830875' without any other modification to the design.

Peerless 831735 6-1/2" HDS Driver

Peerless 831735 Specifications:
Want the short or the long answer?

Short answer: No!

Long answer: If you did all of the work that made the 830875 work as intended in this design, no cutting corners or make any assumptions, there might be a possibilty that they work. Who knows for sure. Too many variables. At least a major reworking the crossover. Any idea how long that takes?

Nice price though.

Cheers, Joe R.
__________________
The "Elsinore Project" DIY Speaker System
Custom Analogue Audio - we also support and promote non-profit DIY

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 10th April 2011 at 09:17 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:27 AM   #809
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Of the top of my head, the ones Steve made we gave it 1.5mm all round, so that makes it 157 x 227mm - this makes for less tight fitting and matching with the tweeter's position, and also a little gap all round doesn't look bad to the eye if it is ever so slightly rounded off.

Ask Spoonted how it looks as he got one of Steves.

Cheers, Joe R.
Hi Joel
I was concerned too, but the gap is fine (looks like it was designed that way)
I think if you tried to match the two faces perfectly it would look like a mistake if you know what i mean.



cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:44 AM   #810
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Hi Guys

I just had speaker Brad Serhan from Orpheus Loudspeakers come over and spend the afternoon. We've known each other for over twenty years. After listening to the Mk5, his first opportunity to hear that version, he was gob-smacked. He says he went to CES in Las vegas a few months ago and heard the best of the best and heard nothing better and probably not even as good. So I decided to put him on the spot, I aksed him, playing in own music, if he was hearing things he had not heard before on his own familiar music. Yep!

I am afraid that the Mk5 will be the last hurrah. Much of what has been learnt will now be looked at in developing new speaker systems commercially, based on maximising current delivery from voltage sources. That is why the Mk5 design will be made available - and simply be described as the last Elsinores - and details behind its workings will be limited. It kinda goes against the original idea - but in the end even those details will become more obvious, just can't spell everything out at this time. It's just that sometimes you have to close a door temporarily and then re-open when you are ready later.

My recommendation, just build them and enjoy them.

Cheers, Joe R.
Good to hear Joe and the best of luck.

I can here them pushing out the B&W's at Abbey road studios in anticipation of the new king.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Proac 2.5 clone" or "Elsinore project" Joel Wesseling Multi-Way 10 26th May 2011 05:51 AM
A thread to post your "project files" critofur Multi-Way 10 21st March 2008 12:50 PM
"compact loudspeaker factory visit from "magico mini" thread Nanook Multi-Way 2 4th January 2008 07:30 AM
The "Really simple and cheap speaker designs for the newbie!" thread. Spasticteapot Multi-Way 5 19th March 2006 04:16 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2