Dipole/bipole suround speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting that this thread should appear; I was just thinking about building a pair of bipolar side surrounds to replace my PSB units. I've got 4 extra Audax 6.5" aerogel woofers kicking around and since they model well in a small sealed box (with regards to THX suggested bass limitations anyways), i thought it would be worth a try, mated with some relatively inexpensive Morel tweeters.

Keep us updated on your build!

Scott

Mark i am definetly out numberd but i have 1 room in the house thats mine and that keeps me sane. :D

I guess now i have to decided what direction to go with this project. I liked the simple nature of the Tang bands with the 6 1/2 woofer but im not against one of those other designs.
But cost wise witch one would be my best idea......

Boogs not sure about the twin 6 1/2 design that might look um a little big hanging from my ceiling.... like to keep the it in the relms of a trapazoid type...

I wonder what comprable speakers would be to the vifa's in that speakercity design....

what would the two tang bands by themselves sound like. I wonder maybe in a ported design with some elaborate back chamber or wound port inside....so elimante the 6 1/2...... probly bad idea. /tbItb\ then add the switch and like you said mark set my reciever to a mid size speaker not full.... simple enough excpt maybe the cabint.

Or i could just shoot the rapids with some dayton tweets and mids and try and keep cost in line. how good or bad are the goldwood's? Maybe that horn design from jbl that was kinda cool also. arggh. My apprehension with all this is i have no idea whats good bad or works together well....

"My apprehension with all this is i have no idea whats good bad or works together well...."

I know what you mean. I think the biggest problem is there doesn't seem to be many designs out there.:(
I have a feeling you would be better off with the dayton tweeters over the Tb's. There are allot of people that have expeirience with them. So if you get into trouble there should be allot of help. The other option would be see if Dave Brown can give you a modified xo design for his surround speaker using only one 6.5" woofer.
The speaker city ones look the closest to the Kef's but there are more drivers. I don't know if you can still get just the components or how much it would be.
There is the option to just order a couple of WR125ST and see if you think you need a tweeter. They are about 50.00ea so that increases the cost but with no other drivers and no xo parts might be closer in cost than it looks at first.
You should establish a budget and size limitations for sure. You might get some more experienced replies. If they know the design limits.
I just re-read one of your earlier posts. You aim to mount them on the ceiling,is mounting them on the side walls out of the question?
Could you post a pic of the rear of the room?

Hey swoop,
I was poking around DaveB's site and found this(see attachment). It has a single 6.5" dayton and two dayton tweeters. In a sealed .25 cu. ft. enclosure. There wasn't any xo details but I would definately email him and ask.
The cost difference with the tweeters vs. the Tb's is marginal since when you order 4 or more tweeters you get them for $13.80ea. Thats only 30 cents more ea. the drivers only total up to $84.00 I dont imagine the xo parts would be more than another $20.00.

Attachments

• 161_25.jpg
    161_25.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 167
hey Mark ill try and get a pic of the back of my room for ya. The Email link on Browns site didnt seem to work for me..... Not sure why. but thats a great design i wonder how it sounds.

Im suprised no one else has built a design like this in here. It may be a little to dedicated HT for some. Anyone know what the THX standards are for bi/dipole speakers?

I think i found a winner after spending the last 3 days looking over diffrent old posts in here i found pretty much exactly what i was looking for !

http://www.timn8er.com/aural_imaging_tb3_surround.htm

Timn8er is a memeber of this forum also!

Guess not everyone reads every post... ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...21615&perpage=10&highlight=w3871&pagenumber=1

Found it in this thread course its 3 years old. lol

Opinions? think im going to do this design cheap and easy.... 80 bucks in speakers no Xover just material...... Maybe the newbie dream project. (for this one at least)

And cant beleive how many TB 3" threads there are i should have named this somthing along those lines would have gotten more traffic.

Hey now question for anyone i can use that double thorw switch and run the sides in dipol or bipole couldnt I?

one more question whats "aperiodic port"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.