Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

jgwinner said:

:D

A regular hole saw is probably better than a Forstner bit of course.

For those that haven't seen one, a Forstner bit 'carves out' the entire circle. This makes for a really nice flat bottomed hole; they are best for cutting 'into' but not necessarily through a piece of wood. Usually used for making 'cups' to install hinges into.

So the entire volume of the hole will become dust.

JGWinner,
you are absolutly correct in all your points. I was just offering other (affordable) solutions. When cutting MDF, cut most of the way through for the holes then flip the board over and finish the cut from the other side. It keeps the MDF from fracturing and flaking out on the back of the cut. If you do it over a garbage can it helps with the mess. :)
Ron

Attachments

• multiple_mess_(medium).jpg
    multiple_mess_(medium).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 620
John,
The solid ones are internal tops of my speakes, not the finished tops, and the hollow ones are some of the internal rib braces attached to the spine. Yep, good guess, they are from my curved thors.
I now have all of my parts to build the new Xovers, ala HTaudio design. All capacitor in series are the top of the line Obbligatos, those in // are the less expensive FIOs. They should make an audible difference now in conjunction with my Aikido Preamp I just finished.

Ron

Where's The Schematic?

Hey guys, I am thinking seriously about building the Small Thor. Could someone tell me what page the crossover schematic and the cabinet drawings are on. I swear I've read through this entire thread, and my eyes are either glazed over or I'm going blind, because I know it's here, but for the life of me I can't find it. Thanks.

BTW, this is giong to be my second build; the first being the Zaph Bargain MTM.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
chorus sounds gritty

I've become aware of a gritty, breakup like sound when a chorus of women or men reach a certain pitch.

Might this be a result of the originally designed crossovers fault at 4k5hz?

To me it seems to be coming from the tweeter rather than the mid/woofers.
Like tweeter breakup when crossed too low.

While playing the offending section of a recording and standing over the drivers,
I held a cd case so that it was at a 45degree angle and moved it at the lower edge of each driver, in sequence, so as to isolate & reflect each drivers output upwards. The breakup is clearly heard from the tweets.

Comments?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: chorus sounds gritty

ichiban said:
I've become aware of a gritty, breakup like sound when a chorus of women or men reach a certain pitch.

Might this be a result of the originally designed crossovers fault at 4k5hz?

To me it seems to be coming from the tweeter rather than the mid/woofers.
Like tweeter breakup when crossed too low.

While playing the offending section of a recording and standing over the drivers,
I held a cd case so that it was at a 45degree angle and moved it at the lower edge of each driver, in sequence, so as to isolate & reflect each drivers output upwards. The breakup is clearly heard from the tweets.

Comments?

I'd guess that those are the nasty breakup mides in the mid-woofers. A cross-over can only ever band-aid that.

dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: chorus sounds gritty

planet10 said:

I'd guess that those are the nasty breakup mides in the mid-woofers. A cross-over can only ever band-aid that.

dave

So, does the jimangie crossover take care of it?

I found this over on HTGuide - a response from jimangie
========================================================
Originally Posted by JCC
Finally, most of the other suggestions for dealing with the speaker's sharpness seem to focus on altering the high pass filter to modify the tweeter's output, which I don't really understand if the fundamental problem is with the woofer's resonance peak at 4.8 khz.

Jims response---------
The fundamental problem isn't the woofer resonance. That is an issue but the uneven power response due to the tweeter circuit is much more audible. Fixing the tweeter circuit to reduce the lower treble energy is the easiest and cheapest way to get substantially better sound. The easiest thing to do is remove the 2.2 uF cap in the tweeter circuit. If it’s still too harsh, then lower the 8.2 uF cap. Try 6.2uf, 6.8uf, 7.5uf, etc. That will help substantially.

Edit: After thinking about it some more, I would not lower that 8.0uF cap because it will push the 2.5 kHz crossover frequency even higher. So many problems with that crossover...

The other major problem I had with the Thor crossover was there wasn’t nearly enough baffle step compensation. The 1mH inductor is just too low IMO.
Last edited by jimangie1973 : 11-22-2008 at 06:45 PM.

chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

planet10 said:

An XO cannot fix the problem, can only make it less objectionable.

dave

Ouch!
That one hurt Dave. Are you implying that a different Xover will not obfuscate the issue with the metal tweeter? I thought the main issue with the Thors was the lack of cabinet volume, not the extended energy of the tweeter. I don't recall ever reading about this previously. Why is the Millineum written so highly about if it cannot be controlled any better than this?
I'm at a loss of understanding. Would you please elaborate.
Ron

Looks like I'm gonna have to build that HTguide's Xover sooner than I thought!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: chorus sounds gritty or Xtra sharp!

Renron said:
Are you implying that a different Xover will not obfuscate the issue with the metal tweeter?

No. What i am saying is that an XO cannot fix the problem of a big resonance (in this case the Excel mid-woofers). The XO can be done so that the FR is flat thru the resonance region, but the resonance is still there and makes itself felt in other ways. Someone will come along and figure out how to mod the woofer to reduce the resonance (hopefully without causing other major issues) That should take Thor up another notch.

dave