Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

We were talking earlier about "SwissCheesing" the interior supports. :)

Ron

Attachments

• thor photo 014 (small).jpg
    thor photo 014 (small).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 929
HiFi,
If you are refering to Burning Amp in 07, thank you, those were mine. I'm hoping to bring them again with new X-overs and new internal supports for BA 09.
Here is my pic of my Small Thors next to my custom made HT center and Kick Ars 50" Pioneer Plasma. We love our movies. :)
I'm building a center channel with a Seas Coax to better match the tonality of the front speakers. I'll document the build in a seperate thread when I start.
Ron

Attachments

• 5 12 07 004 (small).jpg
    5 12 07 004 (small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 956
Renron said:
HiFi,
If you are refering to Burning Amp in 07, thank you, those were mine. I'm hoping to bring them again with new X-overs and new internal supports for BA 09.
Here is my pic of my Small Thors next to my custom made HT center and Kick Ars 50" Pioneer Plasma. We love our movies. :)

Hi Ron,

Yes I'm referring to your speakers! We had a great conversation about how you built them. Your speakers where my favorites of the event.

BTW, I have access to an industrial CNC overhead router. It would be perfect for quickly making those swiss cheese braces.

-David

MJK said:

Yes, offsetting the drivers from the closed end of the line is a key factor in controlling the ripples caused by the higher pipe modes. Most people offset the drivers between 1/5 and 1/3 of the total line length, but even just a little offset will have a big benefit. There is not one theoretically perfect offset, just different compromises.

Will closing the terminus of the TL and offsetting the output have the samme effect as offsetting the driver? If this is the case, there might be something to gain by changing the position of the output of the Small Thor, or the other versions as well?

/Jan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Image shifting

Has anyone else experienced image shifts when moving your head maybe a foot or two from side to side? :confused:

I switched to a mono source and get a tight image centered between speakers.
So, it's not that the speakers are connected out of phase.

These are the Madisound cabs and premium crossovers.

The speakers are flanking a tv cabinet as pictured.

Attachments

• 100_1702_sm.jpg
    100_1702_sm.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 801
Ichi,

Just throwing this out there....
Are your speakers always toe-in that much?
Have you tried removing the grills?
I know mine like to be at least 10' apart and 15' is better.
Don't know what else to suggest, I have not noticed that problem.

Scary lookin' dolls........brreehrrrrrr

Ron

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Renron said:
Ichi,

Just throwing this out there....
Are your speakers always toe-in that much?
Have you tried removing the grills?
I know mine like to be at least 10' apart and 15' is better.
Don't know what else to suggest, I have not noticed that problem.

Scary lookin' dolls........brreehrrrrrr

Ron

Usually have them toed in to cross just in front of the listening position.

Yes, I have played them sans grills, they do slightly mask sound.
The distances are 8' from centers of woofs, 43" from back wall and 29" from
edge of tv cab to center of woof. Listeners head is a foot to a foot and a half from the back wall which has an oriental rug hung on it for damping.

I find if they are spead further apart the image disintegrates, center images become non-existant or nearly so.

Haven't had these speakers in basement but others always have a big detached sound field with great depth of field. This is where I listen to new projects at the workbench. Big open space.

Yes, spooky dolls. Wife was into porcelain doll painting. When I'd sit watching tv, all these eyes, about 20+ dolls, would be stairing back at me.

Henkjan said:
what doesn't :rolleyes:

:D

A regular hole saw is probably better than a Forstner bit of course.

For those that haven't seen one, a Forstner bit 'carves out' the entire circle. This makes for a really nice flat bottomed hole; they are best for cutting 'into' but not necessarily through a piece of wood. Usually used for making 'cups' to install hinges into.

So the entire volume of the hole will become dust.