Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Sound?

PS The x-overs just arrived. I probably won't have time to dig into the Thors and change the guts until (hopefully) this weekend. In case anybody is wondering this is probably and obsession as much as anything, I LOVE SPEAKERS.

Here is a pic of my "other" subwoofer upstairs, a 15" (38WX) Focal Utopia to help my SEAS subwoofer get LOW.......... notice the JBL - L250's in the corner (an 80's holdover)................ I have the Revel Speaker Studios (original version, not the newer box looking) as my front speakers downstairs in my bedroom, Kef ref 205's as my rears......... and a set of the older Kef Ref 105.4's, another from my 80's phase sitting in the front room waiting to find a good home.............. my wife thinks I'm crazy, but when you stop wanting things you got one foot in the grave, right???? lol..................

Attachments

• seas-focal.jpg
    seas-focal.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,020
tktran303 said:
camaudio,

Mind I ask- what did you prime your cabinets with?

I'm going to prime my MDF cabinets prior to painting, but no idea what to use.
Preferably something I can roll on nice and thick, then use an orbital sander.

regards,
Thanh.
umm, they arent painted, they are made from a solid surface called corian

when i do piant cabinets, i go with

wood filler
sand
wood filler
sand
wood hardener
sand
some more hardener
sand
then, i just use an automotive primer, paint and clearcoat
but that all depends on the finish you want.

i wanted my paint to look like a car

Side by Side Comparison

Well I couldn't stand it so I cut out of work to play with my new x-overs. I decided to tear down one speaker and do a side by side comparison of the x-overs. After spending quite a bit of time, I didn't really make the Thor's too easy to modify, I had them ready to compare. The very first inkling was that the original setup was more distinct, but after about 15-20 minutes and different music I realized the original setup was just louder (Jim, is the sensitivity a little better with the Madisound upgraded x-over?). The other thing is the tweeter is brighter on the original x-over (Jim mentioned I might want to try a 10 ohm resistor in the tweeter instead of the 9, but I did not, but may have to go back and change).
I spent the next hour doing right left comparisons on the two speakers with numerous types of music. When I got to classical (strings) I noticed the most distinct difference between the two x-overs, the soundstage on the new x-over is huge(I don't listen to classical, I had to seach to find some, lol) in comparison. The instruments were much clearer and it sounded as if you could actually hear different string instruments and the space between them, this was a VERY nice change in that aspect. As for the bass I have two subwoofers (had them turned off for the comparison) so I wasn't needing more bass. The new x-over does add more bass. The problem became once I hooked the subs back up I had too much bass and almost got a little "muddy"
I like the new midrange/tweeter sound so I swapped out the other x-over. I know they will need some break-in time, but at the moment I had to adjust the bass on my system to -50% and adjust my treble to +50% to get the clean sound and high end necessary. I may actually have to attenuate the Thors in the bass area a little bit (may try socks in the Thor ports). I had already built one of planet10's designs (and have two subwoofers) so more bass wasn't a big need.
Someone asked, would you do it again.................... in my case since I am going to build a pair of Odins for my rear surrounds and can use the x-overs out of the Thors, so yes I like the change............ Is the change that significant that I would make the change if I did not have a use for the x-overs........... that is tough. If you don't like the lack of bass in your current Thors and can not build the planet10 bass reflex design it would be worth the effort. If you like your Thors as I did, and don't have a use for the old x-over, probably not.
If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them. I do not have access to any equipment to check the speakers, so all I have is my personal listening.
Jim all future recommendations should have the 10 ohm resistor in lieu of the 9 ohm on the tweeter board, in my opinion.

Well, I'd rather you guys than me with that evil break-up mode. The XO is going to have to be good & well below that point.

Anyway, a box is easy enough. 56in x 8.75in x 16.25in (HxWxD). MTM layout, tweeter 12in down from internal top, 3in diameter x 5in long vent centre 2in up from internal base. Stuff 0.4lbs ft^3 of hollow-fibre material from the top down 26in.

Attachments

• seas 8in mtm mltl.gif
    seas 8in mtm mltl.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 817
Scottmoose said:
Well, I'd rather you guys than me with that evil break-up mode. The XO is going to have to be good & well below that point.

Anyway, a box is easy enough. 56in x 8.75in x 16.25in (HxWxD). MTM layout, tweeter 12in down from internal top, 3in diameter x 5in long vent centre 2in up from internal base. Stuff 0.4lbs ft^3 of hollow-fibre material from the top down 26in.

Thanks, Scott!
I guess that baby really can move some air. :hot:

Yep, breakup's still a problem. Apparently Linkwitz is using the W22 with XO @ 1440hz. When crossing so low, the tweeter will not be able to handle much power...which makes me thinking 2 tweeters!
I'm not sure though how the power response and sound dispersion will be.
In that case, what's best of using two tweeter on top of each other in a MTTM solution, or just having them beside each other?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KarlXII said:
Yep, breakup's still a problem. Apparently Linkwitz is using the W22 with XO @ 1440hz. When crossing so low, the tweeter will not be able to handle much power...which makes me thinking 2 tweeters!

Or something totally different... i've taken a likeing to the FF85K as a tweeter. Think of it as a 3/4" tweeter with a really big surround that can be XOed as low as 500 Hz...

should be efficient enuff to keep up...

dave

planet10 said:

Or something totally different... i've taken a likeing to the FF85K as a tweeter. Think of it as a 3/4" tweeter with a really big surround that can be XOed as low as 500 Hz...

should be efficient enuff to keep up...

dave

Do you mean the Fostex?

10 w music power, 88 db/m?
What can it take when crossing over @ 500hz, ya think?

I have not heard that driver. Any listening impressions?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KarlXII said:
Do you mean the Fostex?

10 w music power, 88 db/m?
What can it take when crossing over @ 500hz, ya think?

I have not heard that driver. Any listening impressions?

Yes, Fostex FF85KeN (althou i have to admit to not bothering listening to a stock pair yet. With the XO i'm using at 350 Hz i'm calculating over 40W input before reaching mechanical limits -- but in the test units i'm limited to the 5W i'm running for the HF amp. At some point i will do an MTM with a pair of SDX7 -- XO probably in the 500 Hz range -- maybe a bit lower.

I've been really pleased with the sonics of the FF85, i'm guessing it will give some of the big buck danish tweeters a real run for the money, with huge advantages in how low you can cross them,

dave