Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
davidlzimmer said:

Might I submit that the reason is the result of excellent engineering and recording techniques. I also appreciate the same realistic reproduction of these two artists from my Gainclone and DIY speakers!

Koodoos to your good taste!

Especially if it is a tube buffered input Gainclone.
;)

Pallas said:
Some that I didn't see mentioned, off the top of my head:

Tannoy DMT series studio monitors - my 12 DMT II's (with new, more elegant cabinetry on the way) may well be the last speakers I ever own.

Yay !!! I'm in that club too !!! Amazing speakers , very ruthless with poor recording's though , just how it should be !!

Another addition to the list , AR LST..............

Gotta chime in here with a little history. I have owned one of the "legends": the Yamaha NS-1000M's. I was a young man with a small inheritance burning a hole in my pocket. I already had a serious case of audiophilia, so I wanted the best I could find. I spent almost a year auditioning speakers (including many "legends" mentioned here) at five different retailers. I used a pair of Stax electrostats as a reference. I finally chose the Yammies and I was quite happy with them for several months until I heard...

B&W DM6's. The store owner called me up and announced he finally had the speakers I had been looking for. It required a fifteen minute audition to convince me to buy one of the first 50 pairs imported to the US. The Yammies went into the dining room for a while, then on sale. I used the B&W's for 20 years, then sold them to a friend who still enjoys them. So do I, when I'm there.

At the same store I bought the B&W's, I once heard the stacked Quad/Decca/Hartley system. Mark Levinson himself was there demonstrating them with ML electronics. His source was a tiny Agra portable RTR playing a 7.5 (or possibly 15) ips recording he made himself of some harpsichord music. The system didn't sound that great, to be honest. Each individual speaker was amazing, but it didn't equal a great speaker system, which taught me a valuable lesson. I would like to have heard different music, but how would one have suggested to Mr. Levinson that his choice of music was inappropriate for auditioning his very expensive audio components?

Peace,
Tom E

Oh , another that deserves the accolade ,

Sonus faber Extrema !!

I remember the first time I heard these at a major show in the UK and even to this day I don't think I've heard a better speaker. Problem is , I knew then that I would probably never own a pair , not only because of the price , about £7500 / pr from memory , but also because they need huge amps of massive quality to drive them , again , financially beyond my reach :(

However , there was another speaker at that show that transcended even the Extrema's price !!

The Cabasse Atlantis , http://www.cabasse.com/old/loudspeakers/atlantis.php

Check out the height , over 7 ft !! I think the main bass driver was 30" !! Price , from memory , was over £20 k !!

They had an incredible sound with particularly seismic bass , but I still preferred the Extrema's overall.

80's-era

I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but when I was in HS and College, the Advent Legacy was everywhere! Those tombstone-shaped speakers adorned every other dorm room and beat-up rental house within 10 miles of campus.

KLH Model 6 was the most popular hand-me-down from Dad's system.

My legends:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

bigger version
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

bigger version

Been listening to them for around 35 years now and every time I try
other speakers I get bored and revert to the dynaco's

Just bought a couple of Audiolab (Dutch high-end from the 70's)
speakers and after listening one hour the dynaco's smiled at
me when I reconnected them.

Only thing is I have no clue about the model. There is just a serial
on the back and that't it. I have multiple dynaco brochures and
even some dynaco amp manuals but this model is not listed.

Maybe someone here knows the model and history?
My mother told me only yesterday that they where around Fl 800 each
back then which translates to around $ 460 nowadays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.