Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
..and more:

One local friend uses a pair of 15-inch widebands. They look -and sound- pretty much as a Tannoy Monitor Gold- replicas on siberian steroids with whizzer cone instead of co-ax. Lomonosov factories produced those in former Leningrad in 80's, I think. Someone should know more?
IMHO they equals with all time best western equivalents.

and of course: Everything Ted Jordan has ever been involved in.

has anyone ever heard an ESS tweeter? the bass was severely lacking, but the tweeters are amazing. i personally have the ESS 1b "bookshelf" but as they weigh over 30 lbs a piece, i don't see them on any bookshelf i have. the floorstanding models are over 90 lbs IIRC, and are just massive. it might be because they are a small company, but i believe they should at least make an appearance on this list. i love them when paired with the right sub.

I was very interested in the NS-1000's recently, until I came to the conclusion that they just wouldn't suit my equipment very well (likely to sound a bit harsh), and would probably be lacking in the very lowest frequencies for my taste. I read that many people use them close to walls to help with the bass, which wouldn't work for me. And with sellers asking $600-$1000 for a pair, i'm guessing they're probably not really the bargain they used to be.

I don't find them harsh. They're very detailed (revealing), though. They are limited ITO LF extension, though I find that it is something I can live with. Their low roll-off rate (due to sealed enclosure) makes the relatively high F3 less of a problem than it would have been with, say, a bass reflex enclosure.

davidlzimmer said:
. . . . How bout Bozak? Anyone remember? The Urban?

The Urban was one of several cabinet styles Bozak produced for their various speaker models. You could also get matching equipment cabinets. I had the model 302 (12" woofer with dual tweeters mounted across it plus a 6" midrange) in the Urban style with the equipment cabinet, which I bought at a garage sale in the '70's. The beauty part was the cabinet came with a Marantz 7c, a Dynaco ST70, a Thorens TD124 and some tuner I don't remember. The 302's are a very accurate speaker, though I lusted after the 305, which had two of the 12" woofers. The problem with both, that they were floor-standing speakers that played to the knees, was mitigated only by the company's larger models, the Concert Grand and the Symphony.

Dang.

Electro-Voice Patrician

Yes, I think it's been mentioned, but deserves another hooray! The woofer had no enclosure. Designed to be placed in a corner.

I never saw or heard one. Just read, looked at pictures, and dreamed of one!

Wonder what one would go for now? I read that mint Paragons are going for $20,000 +:hot:

Not quite my friend !

The 700 model had the 30" bass driver mounted to face backwards into an opening in the enclosure to give horn loading when placed near a wall or corner. It had a further 12" driver in it's own cavity. The whole thing weighed 315 pounds !!!

Has the Bozak B4000 had a mention yet ?

To my memory, into the late 1970s the AR 2ax was one of the standards at music schools, colleges of fine arts. Through these a good number of voice and composition majors heard their work in high fidelity for the first time. Along with Koss headphones, they were part of assigned lab work to develop skill in "critical listening".

Scioneer said:

You must have ran into the later model Mach Ones, maybe even the watered down variant called the Mach Twos.

The Mach Ones I've heard sounded incredible, not to mention the reviews I've read are mostly positive, with a few not so impressed people who encountered the later versions that were great, but not spectacular like the older ones.

The Mach Ones was a great design that suffered from the "Build it Cheaper" trend durring the eighties, which caused inconsistencies in quality among the different year models as the 80's dragged on. The best ones are the ones from the 70s, though I think the third revision which ferrofluid cooled the horns due to the fact the Mach Ones were often used for small dance clubs as PA sound systems( a job they originally weren't designed for), are also one of the better versions.
I picked up a pair of these (first series) just recently from the original owner and they're very, very good, especially for the peanuts I paid for them. I'm enjoying them a great deal and may move my 2x15 ported JBL boxes up here and cross these actively at 150Hz or so to fill out the bottom end a bit. Seems like it might be time to finish the resto on the Fisher 800C receiver to complete the system with a Quest QA3004 for the LF power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.