The Spheres

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally finished these guys tonight. The exterior finishing took the longest by far.

Anyways real easy to do, and fairly cheap.

check here for details <will update soon, but you get the point>. They are running full range right now. They definently need some help in the bass department. May have to throw a Sonotube together.

Anyways enjoy :cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those look very very neat! Kind of futuristic.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but have you thought of a different idea for the stands?

I think that if you could get a metal rod and bent it into a stand, it would look much more... hm.. architectural, or like a sculpture.

I'll definitely check back when you've got the construction section on your site. :)

Looks great :up:

To reap the benefits of a spherical enclosure you might want to try a much larger one and mount the driver into a meatier part of it, i.e. without the baffle protrusion. At the moment, you're actually closer to a driver mounted at the end of a cylinder which is at the other end of the scale for a smooth baffle diffraction rolloff.

Off course if your goal is a compact and cute enclosure with high WAF, then great job!

I noticed this weekend at the local B&Q DIY depot (UK DIY chain), that the garden centre part had some approx 33cm diameter earthenware spheres with a fetching blue glaze. There is an approx 16cm circular hole in the sphere. They look ideal for a spherical speaker enclosure!

(there were also some bevelled-edge earthenware cubes with the same finish. One size was about 28x28x28 cm, the smaller was about 18x18x18 cm. Also with a hole in one of the faces.)

joe carrow said:
Those look very very neat! Kind of futuristic.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but have you thought of a different idea for the stands?

I think that if you could get a metal rod and bent it into a stand, it would look much more... hm.. architectural, or like a sculpture.

I'll definitely check back when you've got the construction section on your site. :)
Have a look at Anthony Gallo Acoustics and look at the front page ;)

Hybrid fourdoor said:
And how do you calculate the baffle step of a sphere or rather a lack of baffle?

Will any of the current popular programs do this?

454Casull said:
Svante's "The Edge" program should be able to do that.

As far as I know no program deals with 3 dimensional baffles.

The original work on this used a relatively small driver in
a relatively large sphere which gives a smooth transition.

:) sreten.

The diagram is for a 300mm sphere, ~ 50mm driver. (Olson)
Scaling this should get you very near actual step overall
IMO, but there will be some ripples due to the cylindrical
type edge around the driver, and for a larger driver its
own dispersion / response comes into play above say 2kHz.

Attachments

• bstep-f1.gif
    bstep-f1.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 895
Well maybe sreten has olson's response graph for a driver in a cylinder as well, but basically the wave falls off from the driver edges at the same time - which is at the opposite end of the scale from the sphere which allows gradual roll off and thus a smooth transition radiating from 2pi into 4pi. The effect of mounting into a cylinder is the worst transition step with a very bumpy responce IIRC.

I have no idea what LR is doing.

edit: you can see the baffle step effects for different baffls here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.