The Spheres

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you considered doing something like this?

Attachments

• hiker.jpg
    hiker.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 920
Tang Band W3-881S 3" PPM

Well thanks for the enthusiasm. They sound pretty alright so far. I coupled them with a powered sonotube and it helped fill in the sound real good, althought I think some front firing woofers crossed over at like 200-500Hz would be best. I guess they would turn into B&W 8 series by then :D

Also the speaker cones don't really move that much even though they are full range. The enclosure really filters out the bass.

It may be the enclosure, but I think I may like these drivers sound better than the W3-594 (no one ever said the 594 sounded good though....), in the highs and mids.

EDIT: For search reasons;

Tang Band W3-881S 3" PPM

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but I've really been interested in making a set of Tangband spheres, and when i saw your avatar in one of your more recent posts, i got really excited, i found this thread but none of the links were working :( If there's any tips on building and how you made the sphere, i'd be very greatful. THanks!!
Edward

Can't see your pictures

David

I'm in the process of building something similar using 2 w3-871s drivers and some spherical wooden bowl purchased from a UK department store. These have about a 3 litre capacity. The stands are aluminium with a 13mm thick base plate and a 3 by 2 inch upright which will be filled with sand.

Since posting this, I have switched Internet providers (Comcast to Charter) so incidentily, my webpages went belly up. I will try and get a new server eventually (one that isn't through my cable provider :smash: )

Anyways the basic idea was I streched pantyhose over a 6" foam sphere. I bought all supplies from Wal-Mart (Sphere in crafts section with fake plants, and pantyhose from ummm the woman section). Then stretch the pantyhose (get the big XL or queen size ones) over the sphere. I would wrap them back over twice, by twisting them at one end then folding them back over. Then apply resin. I did this about 6-7 times each....gonna need like 15 layers of pantyhose.

Lots of sanding, and a good amount of wood filler towards the end. I'll try to host a bigger picture later this morning.

Let me know if you have more questions.

This is my first post on this forum!
I too have been experimenting with Spheres. I've used
Acrylic 150mm, ceramic 200mm and Paulonia wood spheres 200mm and 300mm. Mostly with Tb drivers Tb517s and 319s. Also have a Tb 657 and the Axon Haes 4in 4SF-01 driver which never seems to be available from Orca ! ! !
Using Resin sound a good idea I am also planning Cemlite an OZ based Lightweight concrete product. Mould from Canada at CDN$12 ea I believe. I enclose a picture or two :)

Anthony

Attachments

• tmwim2s.jpg
    tmwim2s.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 817
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Spheres...

I have tried & listened to spheres for tweeters, and there always seems to be some reflection(?) problem.

The tweeters I have tried & listened to, are better units from SEAS & ScanSpeak.

It seems that they just need more baffle-area, but they can be "tamed" with a felt-ring.

Any other suggestions?

Arne K

Re: Can't see your pictures

toseland said:
David

I'm in the process of building something similar using 2 w3-871s drivers and some spherical wooden bowl purchased from a UK department store. These have about a 3 litre capacity. The stands are aluminium with a 13mm thick base plate and a 3 by 2 inch upright which will be filled with sand.

How did you get on ? I purchased a pair of 871's and while wondering in a shop saw some ethnic spherical wooden vases that looked great for £10 each. I'd be very interested to know any expereicnes you had from your build ? These are nowhere near 3 litres in volume though

Hello,
has anyone ever triend gypsum-binds (i don't know if that is the right word), which you use for fractures in the hospital.
The idea was to buy a cheap plastic football use lots of gypsum-binds with water around it, let it solify and then puncture the football and get it out. Should give a pretty accurate sphere, completely enviromently friendly and non toxic, also rock solid. What do you think???
Greetings,
Nils

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.