The Spheres

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nilsomat said:
Hello,
has anyone ever triend gypsum-binds (i don't know if that is the right word)

Very interesting idea. In England these are known as plaster bandages, but Gypsum binds sounds better. My dad built huge amunts of slot car scenery using bandages that were thrown out from a hospital. The stuff sets rock hard in a few minutes. Hard to get an even surface though, but maybe that's not a problem

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back thru the middle of the last century there were quite a few round plaster speakers made in France under the brand name "Elipson". I heard a few - not bad at all. Some models used very good drivers.The famous rabbit ear model was a real crazy looking thing.

They were made of a sort of plaster called "Staff". I believe it is plaster with fiber mixed in. So your idea of the paster bandages seems to be on the right track.

See the Elipsons below.

Attachments

• elipson.jpg
    elipson.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 873
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw a lot of the Elipson spheres in controls rooms all over France back in the 80s. Bet a lot are still there.

They used a variety of drivers, including JBL, I think. No idea what would work out of today's drive choice, but there should be plenty to work with.
Someone here will know.

Thanks for the tips, but actually since this is a complete test run i would rather go for lower scale drivers and not high end ones. I was thinking about Tangbands or the like.
Russianblue: Why don't you start out with another material (paper, gypsum or the like) and then add the concrete in the next step, makes hadling much easier.
Greetings,
Nils

well I picked up these at my local mini mart . These wooden spheres are approx 180mm diameter (external). Hole size is 65mm, which is too small for the 76mm needed for the tangbands.

I was actually thinking it would be easier to drill a new 76mm hole in through the base and either seal the original mouth with a piece of wood with binding posts, or maybe leave it open (a spherical reflex ? any views). Internal volume I estimate to be 1.76 Litres (4/3 Pi r cubed) My plan is to experiment with these , possibe as a pair of PC speakers powered from a T-amp. The spheres were £20 the pair which is I guess 30 Euros/dollars

Attachments

• dsc00802.jpg
    dsc00802.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 613
panomaniac said:
Wow, those are extremely cool!
If they sound half as good as they look, you've got a winner.

Which TB will you use?

I thought that too, the wire loop inserts are a little loose and may need a little glueing down. Not sure what kind of wood, I guess they come from Asia somewhere.

W3-871's are what I want to use. I have the drivers already and may over time try various cabinets including needles, but the spheres caught my attention. These TB's are also shielded so suitabble to be placed near TV/PC screen. Hopefully get a 3" hole cutter today. The right hand one is inverted so you can see that the flat base, which is just over 76mm (3") diameter. So I think I'll cut a new hole through there rather than mess with the existing opening.

here is the back

So I found a suitable speaker terminal plate on ebay but stupidly I only got one, and now they have run out. :bawling: It's a shame as the insert hole was the right size to use the original vase mouth . I drilled a new 3" hole in the base for the driver.

have not listened yet as I was hoping to locate another 2.5" insert plate that matches this one.

An interesting problem I noticed is the center of gravity. The tangband magnet with shielding is pretty heavy. This is just behind the driver, so the whole thing is front heavy. If you place the ball on a surface or in a circular mount it tends to roll forward/down. I will give this some thought. Maybe a simply wooden ring to sit it on the desktop and the cables will stop it rolling

Attachments

• sphere2.jpg
    sphere2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 444
well I got both sphere complete. No notch filters yet, but I decided to setup my second system where my usual system goes. so the balls sit on top of where my LS3/5as normally go. Amp is a T_amp and front end is a PSone

The sound is good. It does shout a bit at times (hence the notch) and there is little bass BUT it images as well as anything I have heard, and on some tracks the bass is surprising.

the metal hoops , a feature of these vases , are starting to rattle so I think I will apply some more wood glue.

I hope to get the notch parts tomorrow

Attachments

• diyaudio1.jpg
    diyaudio1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 366
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.