Why do my speakers sound better when I stand up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have a laptop?* Last year I posted measurements showing how well the Mac laptop mic matches my calibrated mic. REW is honourware.

Granted, some folks may not be bright enough to learn to use REW. But certainly the honourable posters on this thread would not fall into that category.

B.
* Or any mic since all you need to do here is compare two listening positions.
Assumptions again. I have REW, a USB mic, laptop, etc. And I find using computer based measurements hard. So it would seem I am NOT bright enough.
However I can do many other things, such as build a motorbike, or a kitchen, or a stained glass window. Not everyone finds computers easy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Altitude. The thinner air when you stand up changes the speed of sound, and the lower oxygen muddles your brain's critical abilities. This results in a better, more spacious, sound.

That's my hypothesis - until we see some measurements.

Scottjoplin, your crossover phasing between your midrange and tweeter could be off. Sitting and standing results in different relative travel distances from the midrange and tweeter to your ears. Acoustic measurements from both positions would be helpful.

Without acoustic measurements, you could try swapping the phase of either the tweeter or midrange for a 180 degree shift, and see if the sound in the setting position has improved. If that doesn't work, try moving the tweeter back about 1" to 1 1/2" backwards for a approximate 90 degree shift in the crossover frequencies. If your active crossover allows easier phase adjustments then use that.

Last edited:
Scott, you look different now. More of a Janis Joplin than a Scott Joplin, different era too.

I'm up for a thought experiment. Is the room like this.

Attachments

• SJ room1jpg.jpg
    SJ room1jpg.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 262
Hi Don. Haha, you got the sex right (it's Kate Bush) someone earlier though it was Boy George :)

Wow, not bad, the peaks and dips are about in the right place. The subs are U frames and against the side walls, though I doubt that would make much difference to the simulation. The Jordans are usually beside the subs and toed in. At the moment they are sitting on top

That's good conformation that subs to the side wall is smoother, I noticed an improvement in bass extension and they needed less eq when I moved them a while back, they were initially roughly where you had them in the first simulation. Also I've been sitting and standing and can confirm the difference above, only using my ears and an online tone generator I'm afraid

The simulator likes more subs. I entered each driver as a separate unit. When you're sitting, it seems to eliminate many room modes.

I put the widebands beside the subs, I'm assuming that's where they would normally be.

Attachments

• SJ room3 sitting.jpg
    SJ room3 sitting.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 139
  • SJ room3 standing.jpg
    SJ room3 standing.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 141
The simulator likes more subs. I entered each driver as a separate unit. When you're sitting, it seems to eliminate many room modes.
Yes, when I stand and move about it's all over the place, if I go behind the speakers (that's where the equipment is) it's bloody awful :rolleyes:
I put the widebands beside the subs, I'm assuming that's where they would normally be.
Yes Don, that's exactly right, the subs help with baffle width for the wideband and help me just about get away with the low xover (it's too low really)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.