Why do my speakers sound better when I stand up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My speakers are actively crossed open baffle wideband and subs, they are 4' from the short wall, the room is 12' by 15'. The floor is 4mm cork tiles on concrete. Listening position is about 4' from back wall.

When I stand up the imaging, spaciousness and tonal balance all improve. Am I getting too much reflection from the floor? This is what it feels like. Any suggestions and what I could do to remedy it are welcome.

On and off axis balance perhaps. Try tilting them back.
And if they are 4' from one wall, and you are 4' from the opposite wall, are you then only 7' from them? That would make a very big difference to the vertical response pattern.
Plus chuck a thick rug/cushions/quilt etc on the floor and see (hear!) what happens. And use a mic, or phone app, and see how the balance changes as you move.

Last edited:
On and off axis balance perhaps. Try tilting them back.
They are Jordan Eikonas, they have a rising frequency response and it is recommended to listen off axis, however I have HF hearing loss and so listen on axis. Tilting back is something I'll try, could also help with what I suspect is a floor reflection?
And if they are 4' from one wall, and you are 4' from the opposite wall, are you then only 7' from them? That would make a very big difference to the vertical response pattern.
Yes, I listen nearfield, tilting could help with this as well maybe?
Plus chuck a thick rug/cushions/quilt etc on the floor and see (hear!) what happens. And use a mic, or phone app, and see how the balance changes as you move.
I've considered that, easy to experiment with, thanks for your suggestions

Frequently a dip in the 3kHz range can cause increased spaciousness. It could also be room related.
Ah, never thought of that, I think it's something Linkwitz adjusts/equalises. Small room is a bit of a nightmare, lots of room modes I've managed to deal with to a degree with the subs, position and judicious cutting. Jordans are operating without eq, though I think xover is too low at 125Hz. Thanks

They are Jordan Eikonas, they have a rising frequency response and it is recommended to listen off axis, however I have HF hearing loss and so listen on axis. Tilting back is something I'll try, could also help with what I suspect is a floor reflection?Yes, I listen nearfield, tilting could help with this as well maybe?
I've considered that, easy to experiment with, thanks for your suggestions
I have used most of Ted Jordan's drivers over the last 30 years, but not the Eikonas. Active too, and I miss what they do.
Listening nearfield would compound the effects of changes in listening position.

Is the room big enough for full dispersion of your sub?
It might be caused by reflection, standing waves. Try some absorbing material like a big cloth covered coach
or other soft furniture. An empty room will sound different from one filled with people.
Have a party and see if the helps. Then you will have an idea of the cause.

Last edited:
:D And I love it when someone says how easy it is to do measurements. The blithe assumption. :rolleyes:
Do you have a laptop?* Last year I posted measurements showing how well the Mac laptop mic matches my calibrated mic. REW is honourware.

Granted, some folks may not be bright enough to learn to use REW. But certainly the honourable posters on this thread would not fall into that category.

B.
* Or any mic since all you need to do here is compare two listening positions.

Is the room big enough for full dispersion of your sub?
It might be caused by reflection, standing waves. Try some absorbing material like a big cloth covered coach
or other soft furniture. An empty room will sound different from one filled with people.
Have a party and see if the helps. Then you will have an idea of the cause.
Probably not, it is small, but I've got the subs under control. I'm focusing on the Jordans at the moment, they are separately mounted from the subs so I have quite a lot of flexibility. I like the idea of a party :D, would you like to come? Maybe pick up Ben on the way........

So you like to keep it a guessing game? :)

I'd like more info:
What is that seat made off, is it reflective?
Are you standing in front of that seat, thus moving closer to the speakers?
Where is the back wall (the one behind the listener)?
Does it also sound better if you lift up the speakers?

Measurements could still tell you more though. They could even tell you if tilting the speakers backwards would do something similar.

Hi, the seat is an upholstered recliner with a headrest, not very soft. Behind the seat is a sofa which is against the wall. 3 of the walls are thick stone the other (one of the side walls) is plasterboard studding. When I stand up I do move closer, in fact if I move almost between the speakers the imaging improves but, of course, I lose high frequencies. I shall try lifting up the speakers as well as tilting, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.