Suggestions for small speakers for my Den?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• TU-82000.jpg
    TU-82000.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 224
If you feel like retrofitting your RCA Minimus7s, I did a retrofit project a couple years ago for it called the Synchaeta. The xover range peaks at 20 ohms, but the minima is a 4 ohm design.
Drivers:
PRV 4MR60-4
Dayton ND25 faceless

Just in case you want to know,
Wolf

PS- I tried 4 times to upload the small photos I have for these, and the FR measured seems to be missing, but it does not want to accept them in upload for some strange reason.

If you feel like retrofitting your RCA Minimus7s, I did a retrofit project a couple years ago for it called the Synchaeta. The xover range peaks at 20 ohms, but the minima is a 4 ohm design.
Drivers:
PRV 4MR60-4
Dayton ND25 faceless

Just in case you want to know,
Wolf

PS- I tried 4 times to upload the small photos I have for these, and the FR measured seems to be missing, but it does not want to accept them in upload for some strange reason.

I actually have installed crossovers in mine and they do sound much better.

Single driver design for someone with HF hearing loss doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. With that ample budget I'd go with a compression driver tweeter on the top that could power through the deafness.

Admittedly I was a little concerned over the single driver as well (and still mildly am).

If they really turn out to not work well for me I can always use them for rear speakers
and then get something else for my desk, or possibly even just sit tweeters on top.

I've already placed the order so I really can't back out now.

HarryY,

Congrats on completing the amp build.

The Mark Audio Alpair 7 (metal) is a nice sounding wide-band driver. It plays pretty well with tube amplifiers too.

Thank you, The Amp was one of the nicer kits I've ever built; well laid out
and quality parts, It went together far easier that I had expected it to.

From reading the specs and plots The drivers look good.

Last edited:
Harry - let your own ears be the judge - I personally don't find the A7 lacking any detail / air / extension in the upper 2 octaves. Full disclosure - I'm also one of the early fans of the polka-dot treatment - starting I think well before hearing any of the Mark Audio drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.