Suggestions for small speakers for my Den?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BTW

I'm good on soldering the crossovers etc as I have been doing electronics
since I was a kid. but I'm clueless as to who makes good drivers etc.

The wood working part I'm OK on but not nearly as good as others I'd seen
(paint tends to hide a lot).

I say that because more and more I'm leaning to pre-cut (or even pre-built)
cabinets, I did look at some on Parts express that would easily fit the bill size wise.

I did speak to one of their reps and he said the overnight sensation
would probably work for me but it may take more drive than I have.

Again Thank You for the information.

I had originally asked this in the full range speaker area but as I tend to listen
to rock music I was informed that traditional speakers would suit me better

I've been away from any serious music for some time now so
now I'm building up a small system for my Den / Home office.

I purchased an 8 watt per channel tube amp kit. and now I'm looking for a
small set of speakers to fit an area (max) 10" wide, 15" tall and 15" deep.

I will be sitting approximately 3' to 4' away from the speakers as they will be on the
ends of a 7' long desk (monitors in the middle) and the speakers will be as ear level.

Note: Sadly my hearing had taken some abuse from working around
Naval aircraft in my youth. So now I tend to like a little crisper sound.
I still like some base as long as it's clear and not muddy.

I'm not opposed to building but I would much prefer a kit as over scratch building.

As for budget I will say $1000, but I would prefer to come in under that
but I realize that the speakers are a key part of my sound quality.

Suggestions?

Thank you

Why not go for near field studio monitors? From the application description you gave they seem like a good match to me. I know you already have an amp but I would suggest looking at Yamaha's MSP5 or Yamaha's HS5's.

These are active and have low and high trim switches. You are able to tweak the sound to your liking with those switches. Near field monitors are intended for close listening and positioned at ear height.
I have the HS5's and I'm very pleased with them.

To the OP: I know way less about audio than most of the other posters in your thread. However, here are my thoughts. I commonly listen to a pair of FH3 with Alpair 7.3-esque drivers on low-powered SET (45, 2a3, 6a3, 4p1l) amps. I love them for what they are. Plenty of power and bandwidth for near-field listening in my mind for the rock I listen to, mostly early punk and surf guitar. I wouldn't discount the full-range approach for the size of box you have space for and the amp you are wanting to use. Perhaps throw some 7.3 into a ported box or P10s plans and see what you think. Way under your budget. If the bass doesn't do it for you, Alpair 10.3, which I also like, might float your boat. Your spatial and wattage constraints are quite severe. Perhaps the 10.3 is the correct optimisation choice. Lastly, you might consider a ported box for a Fostex FF125WK. In my limited opinion, this driver is more suited for rock than most of the fostex drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
X-LS Encore kit

Again an ugly impedance curve the amp won't like.

x-ls%20encore%20impedance.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vishalk’s are not from flat-paks, but they could be, He did a very good job. Our flat-paks come as plywood panels, the plywood from MurphyPly in Oregon are faced with maple. You can put a clear finish on them, veneer or whatever you like. Many get left unfinished for a long time once listening to them starts.

dave

Hmmmm, copper may actually look nicer.....

So here is what Im thinking (tell me if im wrong in my thinking)

Golden ratios. Speaker on the narrow side, and the port on the narrow side as well (front).

I will be sitting off axis as they will be pointed mostly straight back due to the monitors taking up so much room.

Thoughts?

Btw, what is the sensitivity of them?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hmmmm, copper may actually look nicer.....

Copper is most popular in North America silver in Europe.

So here is what Im thinking (tell me if im wrong in my thinking)

Golden ratios. Speaker on the narrow side, and the port on the narrow side as well (front).

I will be sitting off axis as they will be pointed mostly straight back due to the monitors taking up so much room.

That works. Typically you want to listen to FRs at least a bit off-axis.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.