4-Way Series Crossover. Accuton and Acoustic Elegance Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Steve

Nice work.

At this point, I am the student, and you are the teacher.

With regards to your second picture, phase.
Am I safe in making the following observation and statement; the woofer has its phase shift at approximately 2200Hz. The tweeter has its phase shift at approximately 1500Hz. Is it theoretically ideal to have the two lines (shifts) at the same frequency?

518737d1449753454-4-way-series-crossover-accuton-acoustic-elegance-drivers-s7-series-versus-parallel-equivalent-phase.png

518736d1449753454-4-way-series-crossover-accuton-acoustic-elegance-drivers-s7-series-versus-parallel-equivalent.png

Way I'd look at it, is phase matters from 1.5kHz to 5kHz here, the overlap.

1.5KHz on the tweeter is the Fs resonance, hence the peak which you can equalise out with an LCR. 3kHz (5cm for half wavelength in air) on the woofer is a severe cone resonance. Not much you can do about that. It's just what an 8" speaker does due to the distance from voicecoil to the edge being about 5 cm. In practice it's usually quite benign in sound. It's the one centred at 6kHz you hear more IMO.

Phase is very revealing of resonances and stored energy even if frequency response looks flat. An S shaped kink usually.

There is a school of thought that phase should be exactly aligned on the two drivers, but this creates a hole in the power response with LR2 and LR4 above and below axis, which you can hear. You get what you get with phase, but I certainly don't mind 90 degree error at crossover going to no error at high frequency. It fills the hole in the power response and is known as BW3. Below.

Attachments

• BW3 90 degree phase..PNG
    BW3 90 degree phase..PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 280
Where the lines "shift" is when the phase goes beyond the scale. Read the graph for the woofer @200=0 @3500=-360 @5000=-540.

What you want is minimal phase difference where two drivers responses overlap. The optimizer in Boxsim will do this for you. Set the positions of the drivers and it will optimise the filter components for FR and PR. It would have been nice if the optimizer would give you more control over preferences and could also optimise the drivers positions. You could then design the optimal electric filter and use the optimizer for driver positions only.

We have the original Accuton C50, and the new C51. Since the old is now discontinued, this was a simple look see.

The new Accuton C51 is housed in a solid case, no taking this one apart.

The C50 was a different animal.

Those tiny wires are likely 30awg. I have 28awg in my laboratory, and the Accutons are thinner.

No skin effect happening here.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 98
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.