Aino gradient - a collaborative speaker project

jlaakso,
thank you for the offer! But I want something else than a wg+dome.

The design of AINO has also some visual/aesthetic guidelines and prejudices, summarized as

- the bass box is a sealed downfiring box that looks like a Aino glass upside down
- the 12" mid is frameless and tilted dipole
- there is a visually slim tower for (mid)tweeters

It is still a long wait before I can even start the hard work. Today we got 10cm more snow!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Well, since we met Aki Kaurismäki here, some more trivia

The film "Juha" by A Kaurismäki is based on a novel "Juha" (1911) by one of the most beloved Finnish writers Juhani Aho (Ahonius) He was also one of the first fly fishermen in Finland and often visited the rapids near Jyväskylä. So did his friends, painters Gallen-Kallela and Halonen too.

The name role in Juha was played by rock guitarist/singer/cook Sakari Kuosmanen. He played rhythm guitar in the Leningrad Cowboys and made friends with Kaurismäki brothers. Shemeikka was André Wilms and Marja Kati Outinen

From the movie Juha

A song by Saku Kuosmanen in 1981 ( a song by late Veikko Lavi "Every man is worth a song") - notice Pekka Pohjola on bass!

The actor Matti Pellonpää (1951-1995) was also famous for reading the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in radio (Nalle Puh) with actor/director Kari Väänänen

saluté
Juha

Last edited:
One more idea for the AINO tower before I go to bed,

a MTM Tower

two Vifa NE95s cost a bit more than one SS10F

The width of the frame has a minimum of 110mm
The body of NE95 is 95mm
The body of NeoCD3.5 is 98mm wide and 110mm high

The dipole peak is determined by the width of the system mainly (in Edge simulation)

MTM would give more vertical directivity than a single 4" driver

Attachments

• MTM Aino.png
    MTM Aino.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 536
Looks like a saxophone :)

Yes, actually it does! My eldest son plays alto!

A MTM dipole section is familiar from NaO II of JohnK, but the frame is actually too wide for dipole function above 1500Hz

Here are Xdir vertical polar plots of a MT and a MTM with 100mm distance (center to center I guess) at 3000Hz

Attachments

• MT vert dir 100mm.png
    MT vert dir 100mm.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • MTM vert dir.png
    MTM vert dir.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,143
Here are on-axis Edge plots of possible low- and upper mid elements

LM = Beyma 12MWNd (own frame 321mm circular)
HM = 2xVifa NE95 in MTM with Fountek NeoCD3.5 (frame 110x300mm rectangular)

How would these match?

Attachments

• Edge Beyma spl.png
    Edge Beyma spl.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 492
  • Edge MTM 110mm.png
    Edge MTM 110mm.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 194
Here is an overlay from Edge of both Beyma and 2xNE95 in a more conventional scale.

Sorry sondek12 and Rudolf, I am a slow reader. The learnig continues..

Loooking good however, if I understand!

I'm after some big fish now, just like these gentlemen from Jyväskylä in 1910.

Attachments

• Edge overlay B+NE.png
    Edge overlay B+NE.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 136
  • lohet.jpg
    lohet.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Rudolf smart 3w dipole.png
    Rudolf smart 3w dipole.png
    21 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
The amplification will be done by Bang&Olufsen, the legendary Danish company

ICEpower 50ASX2

These modules are not sold to consumers, but you can buy these from ebay

L26s will be powered by BTL versions 170W (needs lots of power because of low Fq eq), mids and tweeters are powered by stereo modules

I bought a bundle of 5 of stereo modules, but I need only two per side.

These modules come with built-in transformers, it should be relatively easy to put these inside the bass boxes.

The upper mid solution is still open - comments are needed!

4 pcs of Vifa/Peerless NE95 mid-tweeters have been ordered today.

The Edge program gives an opportunity to simulate passive circuits for dipole dip and roll-off compensation. I might install these to make miniDSP-software-xo/eq easier. Lots of measurements and field-tests will be needed...

I've been thinking of xo points and slopes lately. John K's NaO Note II RS pages are a treasure for me. John has ended with using mainly LR4 slopes with miniDSP. I have been thinking of doing BW3 however. My selected drivers don't have nasty peaks. The dipole arrangement makes it's own slopes that can (and should) be used as adjuvants.

The xo solution has to be set taking into account thse issues
- axial measured spl-curves in my real system
- the dipole typical spl dip and loss
- the horizontal dispersion of the drivers at xo frequency
- driver cone excursion limits
- driver distortion/Fq behavior
- etc.

Here is how John K did it with Note RS II (simulated spl of each driver)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My favourite Finnish artist for over 30 years has just released a new album. Here is a video where the good 'ole friens are playing together ( J is singing and playing rhythm guitar)

Homepage of Jukka Karjalainen

J. Karjalainen - Mennyt Mies (virallinen musiikkivideo) - YouTube (if you think that the band looks like Laika & The Cosmonauts, you are right!)

Last edited:
îndeed, time alignment is an easy task for a minidsp. when the slopes have settled in, the phase should match and final time-alignment can be done according to impulse response measurements - I guess. Delay can be set easily in minidsp, but it is not just that easy in a 4-way system!.

Öhöm, I was a bit ahead of time..

I must get the drivers in a "test mule" setup to get frd data... Fortunately I have a friend who has experience with ARTA, he promised to help me!

The 4x10Hd an U-MIK are flying from Hong Kong to me already. I guess I must wait longer for the drivers to come, the vendor doesn't have all of them in stock.

The bass box casting has been given some thought...

the mold - a PVC bucket lined inside with slices of camping matrass (PU foam) to make the offsets
cavity - a plastic bag filled with sand ( easy to remove after hardening of the cast
material - Weber Floor 4320 fibre rapid floor screed, perhaps chicken wire support too
bottom plate - a circular cut from plywood and set into the cast before hardening

The mold must be vibrated during the casting to avoid bubbles. Leveling must be done carefully!

I hope that the winter would turn to sringtime soon, it was -20¤C cold yesterday!