Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker

Sure thing ;)

I got them from China via a alibaba.com. Range from 5-18". But you have to buy a lager number, it is not a shop but the main factory.

Here is the adress:

Shengzhou Hengtai Die Casting Industry Co., Ltd
Add:Fu si Industry Zone,Chongren Town,Shengzhou,China
Tel:+86 575 83929999, Fax:+86 575 83926655

And I must say I was verry impresed, I got them two days after they was send from China.

Hi,

Sure thing

I got them from China via a alibaba.com. Range from 5-18". But you have to buy a lager number, it is not a shop but the main factory.

Thanks Frank for the same,By large number how much are we talking here ??? I basically need some 5.25" and 6.5" one's as Am planning to make some sample batch of drivers for my TL project.

Was really impressed and intrigued by your project and have following the thread closely !!

Be careful with that, more often then not, they lie about materials

Hmm Thanks for the info,can you suggest some reliable alternatives ??

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Sorry for the radio silence, it has been a very busy period.

With Project Ryu things are moving a little slower than i anticipated but it is moving forwards.
I can show you however the new cones which i am very happy with. Full paper cones very light, i have two version of 12 inchers and one version of an 8 incher since i thought maybe not everybody likes the big speakers.

The 12 inch cones have 12.1g and 14.6g *the darker one) respectively. The 8 inch cone has 4g.
There is also change in voice coil dimensions, for fullrangers i reduced it to 1 1/8".
I will still have the 2" voice coils for more power and usable range up to 10Khz.

Well, have a look at the pics and i will update again soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    782.4 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    751.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    777.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    600.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    566 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    804.7 KB · Views: 704
Just a little early chrisms present, got to love the holly-days :)

Marry chrismas to you all.

Nice shape of basket ribs to put some absorbing felt on it :)

Btw in relation to whizzer, spider, cone, and materials/shapes, I would look into Rullit creations for some inspiration, because anyone who has heard some better Rullits says that the HF is like ribbon tweeter and even surpassing it...

Last edited:
Hi all,
Last year , I made two pair of field coil speakers, a pair of sub-woofer and a pair of horn driver. Sound of the system very and very excited that I had never heard before. So now, I am making a pair of field coil tweeter more, the horn of these tweeter to be modified from a trumpet which will be cut about 70 cm length and with a adapter on the end of the horn for connection to the tweeter.
With the horn to be made from the instrument, What will i need to do for good sound from it?
Thank advance for your advice

Hi, with the trumpet bell i would put alot of tar on the exterior or something to kill the ringing.

Just got my hands on another batch of 12 inch full paper cones, german made 15.1g. The new motors are a bit complicated the way things are going it will probably be in summer when i will have about 20 pairs (3 kinds) ready. I will make a few available here when they're all ready and im satisfied. Sorry it goes slow but i put a ton of money in this project so my allowance was cut down :p

Anyways the new cones i like the most.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,017
Hi, with the trumpet bell i would put alot of tar on the exterior or something to kill the ringing.

Just got my hands on another batch of 12 inch full paper cones, german made 15.1g. The new motors are a bit complicated the way things are going it will probably be in summer when i will have about 20 pairs (3 kinds) ready. I will make a few available here when they're all ready and im satisfied. Sorry it goes slow but i put a ton of money in this project so my allowance was cut down :p

Anyways the new cones i like the most.
Thank you very much, I use something like seam sealing apply on the automobile's body to put on all exterior and interior of the bell (just only 1/2 the length of the bell on interior from the adapter). Hope the sound will be good.
Thank you very much again

Hi Hentai,

Since you are working with large paper cones I have a suggestion:

If you want more internal damping of the cone you can apply foliatec film spray on one or both sides of the cone. I got a resonance reduction at 1.8Khz of 50% with paper cones. The only drawback is a weight increase of 15%.

Hi here is a drawing for a 124mm diameter motor very similar to what Frank has.

It should work with vc diameters from 1" to almost 2".
To adjust for your desired magnetic gap width and/or voice coil diameter simply adjust dimension B and C on the drawing and keep all the other dimensions the same, especially dimension A.

The dimensions in the file are drawn for use with a sleeve shorting ring in the gap, if you dont use it adjust the width.

You will also need to adjust dimensions according to your machine's precision/tolerances.

Attachments

• Project Ryu F124.pdf
    494.3 KB · Views: 369