Project Ryu - DIY Field Coil Loudspeaker

Reading the last few post I realised that they can be miss read, Hentai did not make any mistake with the spiders he made for me I simply gave him the wrong data. Just needed to clarifier that.

I did a mistake saving the files when I made the test on the spiders so I can't post them, but I believe the Fo was around 72 Hz with Hentai's spider.

Take care

Too bad you dont have the files anymore. Perhaps you can use the spiders again and measure again.
The reason i want to see it is to check if for certain spider diameters i get any ringing. If the spokes are rattling or any of such phenomena. I thought about it but so far i wasnt able to detect it and your data would've been helpful.
If it is present than it can be defeated by adjusting the number of spokes and their distribution around the center.

Regards

Hi,

I got my Omnimic system and some time to play around. I did a frequency sweep and it looks mighty good, the unit reach well over 20KHz.

I do have some questions..... How can I be sure the response and distortion of the sound card is not interfering the measurements.

And here it is....

Attachments

• Capture_553.jpg
    Capture_553.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I got my Omnimic system and some time to play around. I did a frequency sweep and it looks mighty good, the unit reach well over 20KHz.

I do have some questions..... How can I be sure the response and distortion of the sound card is not interfering the measurements.

And here it is....

Not familiar with Omni Mic, but it is normally done with a loopback cal of the soundcard.

Greebster is right, most software have a calibration factor. The other thing you can do is to determine the best level to measure with your system in order to reach maximum S/N ratio.

I waited to see how many will jump on a possible group buy. So far 3 users expressed interest. This is too few to think about such action but until more will be interested users can contact me in private if they want more.

I added a new sheet to the phase plug xls to calculate dimensions for a 44mm phase plug with constant acoustic path length this time.
Also added AxiDriver baffle input. You will need to created your own baffle depending on how your compression driver is.

There is still much to be done but i will update it along the way.

Attachments

• AxiDriver Input.gif
    AxiDriver Input.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 760
  • Project Ryu Comp Driver Phase Plug.zip
    458.4 KB · Views: 95
I got some spear time to play around with my Omnimic, this is the respond at my listing position it looks pretty nice I think. Of course it is a combination of the speakers, background noise and the room it self. The fullrangs is cut of at 80Hz 6dB/oct.

Attachments

• Capture_557.jpg
    Capture_557.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 916
Reactions: 1 user
Extra ring on the outside to prevent air leakage. But what is more interesting on this experiment is the sound of the kevlar. Did some test and compare it with paper cones. More ridgid but not with the epoxy sound of the previous attempt. What did the trick is to apply wax on the surface :) and the use of almost none epoxy like i said before (prev. post)
14gr for the whole cone and voicecoil (the whole moving mass). Sounds like a full range driver for the moment. Now i understand why you guys must have a full range driver:)

Another thing i found out. Only have one resonance peak at 2Khz without the surround. So the surround must have something to do with it.

cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_9663 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_9663 (Kopie).JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 776
Hey, Jef

Looking good... But why did you invert the cone, I can not find any reason to do that?

Yes full range units are special, I started to experiment with full range... And then I was hooked.
The peak a 2KHz is that in Impedances wise or the frequency response.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Frank,

I'm making a radial loudspeaker. That is why it is a dome and not a cone. The whole driver is build around that idea (but did first some tests with a normal cone to compare). small magnet structure (dia.60mm) so the magnet sits "in" the cone and not under the cone otherwise the former would be to long, no spider also the spider would be to large to fit in. The advantage of a radial speaker is the 360 degree radiation and therefore a high freq. response is desirable. The peak is only impedance plot.
article about radial speaker:
DECWARE - Article on Direct vs. Reflected Energy

cheers,