Acoustic reflectors and piston drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the goal is to add spaciousness then strong reflections from the sides and from elevated locations is the goal.

yes, so it seems, I wonder though would Dr Geddes agree

The "double cone" I've used is probably the easiest practical way to achive this.

the easiest practical is rather a flooder, no need for sophisticated "double cone" deflectors, no need to be afraid - no sound coming from the floor really :)

All other early reflections should be eliminated,

by eliminated You mean? isn't pushing the delay time above 10 ms (or more if possible) enough? this plus normal room acoustics (not bathroom and not anechoic chamber)

Stereolith, bipole, speaker facing boundaries, objects blocking the direct path, any setup that reduces direct sound and therefore increases the level of early reflections will result in this kind of presentation when used without room treatments and/or careful setup.

yes indeed, careless setup can ruin pretty much everything, it can even ruin the sound of CD waveguided speakers

Right now I'm still exploring what is possible and if and how a broad dispersion concept can be made to work.

good luck! :D

This is propably the whole point, to optimise the system for a specific task.

It is a naive assumption that one system fits all, all living rooms, all music genres, recording venue ambience, recording styles etc..

Instead, I think there are optimum system for a specific case. And that the optimum can vary significantly from case to case.

- Elias

admittedly works well for some music genres.

yes, so it seems, I wonder though would Dr Geddes agree

Of course I agree that lateral reflections add spaciousness. The point is that if they are too early they ruin imaging. You apparantly do not know or don't listen to what I profess.

It is a naive assumption that one system fits all, all living rooms, all music genres, recording venue ambience, recording styles etc..

- Elias

I think it equally naive to think that tailoring your system to a specific genre and/or your specific taste is going to yield a listenable system in the long run. Unless you have a very limited selection or taste in music. Because inevitably tailoring to one taste/genre will degrade others - it has to if it is "optimum" for that taste/genre. And its not "Hi-Fi" either. The only answer that stands the test of time is optimum in the sense of tansparent delivery of the source to the listener. Any other approach leads to constant "tweaking" which, I believe, then becomes the real interest -not the music.

What I was saying was not related to half vs. full space radiation but to the reverberant sound field. I don't want to have the x-over's lobing in the pretty strong and many reflections produced by the mids and highs.
Ah, I see.

Well, let's say you wanted to cross your wide-range at 600 Hz to a midbass; not unreasonable, right? 344/500 = 68 cm is the wavelength at this frequency. Supposing that 1/4 wavelength (very strict) between centers is the maximum allowable spacing, that gives us 17 cm. If your wide-range was a 3" driver, say about 2" from the center of that to the edge, and 5" from center to edge of baffle for a 6.5" in a separate enclosure, you are right at 7" (17 cm).

Anyway, purely academic I suppose.

Too much of try to please them all only leads to mediocreness, a system that is not really good for nothing.

Really? What I've heard so far from the spaciousness fans is that it "works" with all recordings. But they also told me that putting a speaker on the floor facing the ceiling would not produce sounds coming from the floor but guess what, sound came from the floor and some other unnatural locations. I even varied angles, same result.

But they also told me that putting a speaker on the floor facing the ceiling would not produce sounds coming from the floor but guess what, sound came from the floor and some other unnatural locations. I even varied angles, same result.

Clearly you are doing something wrong. But what, that I don't know.

But then again:

markus76 said:
Quite honestly that is not what most people perceive

Maybe Rudolf has better answer:

How do you know that this can't be a problem of your loudspeakers or your ears?

Also DBMandrake has the wisdom:

DBMandrake said:
There's nothing typical about this.
Are you sure there isn't a problem with the speakers ? One tweeter connected out of phase with the other, or a significant mismatch between left/right tweeters frequency/phase response for example ? Perhaps a fault in one crossover.

Last edited:
Of course I agree that lateral reflections add spaciousness. The point is that if they are too early they ruin imaging. You apparantly do not know or don't listen to what I profess.

rather apparently You don't read what Markus writes:

If the goal is to add spaciousness then strong reflections from the sides and from elevated locations is the goal. The "double cone" I've used is probably the easiest practical way to achive this. ...
All other early reflections should be eliminated...
Right now I'm still exploring what is possible and if and how a broad dispersion concept can be made to work.

Do You really agree with Him?

Really? What I've heard so far from the spaciousness fans is that it "works" with all recordings. But they also told me that putting a speaker on the floor facing the ceiling would not produce sounds coming from the floor but guess what, sound came from the floor and some other unnatural locations. I even varied angles, same result.

people tell You that You shouldn't hear sound coming from the floor and virtually nobody who tested it report such thing, sceptical Rudolf included - yet You alone hear it - perhaps it's time to consult Your doctor?

but which plot are You talking about?

You have commented the horizontal response plot:

and Markus referred to the vertical plot:

in case of the vertical it was very hard to notice anything because it was very unclear

but what's the use of such reflector as Markus has proposed? flooder doesn't need it and if one wants to make an omni at ear height with such reflector then it brings back the problem of floor reflection

so the question is - who needs it? who else except Markus? of course Markus needs it because He believes in a sound of a flooder coming from the floor :rofl: which is obviously not the case as reported by growing number of diyaudio users who tested it :cool:

Both - for their overall uniformity (..particularly with respect to higher freq.s (which is unusual given the large single full-range driver)).

What's tough to understand about the two vertical plots?

The "use" or purpose of the reflector is uniform coverage at various angles. The result is greater linearity, substantially so over the same driver without such a reflector.

Who said floor reflections are a problem (or are a problem that can't be compensated for)?

Who would "need" it? Someone who values greater linearity (once it's compensated/eq'd). ;)

Last edited:

I think it equally naive to think that tailoring your system to a specific genre and/or your specific taste is going to yield a listenable system in the long run. Unless you have a very limited selection or taste in music. Because inevitably tailoring to one taste/genre will degrade others - it has to if it is "optimum" for that taste/genre. And its not "Hi-Fi" either. The only answer that stands the test of time is optimum in the sense of tansparent delivery of the source to the listener. Any other approach leads to constant "tweaking" which, I believe, then becomes the real interest -not the music.

Umm..

..WHY might early lateral reflections add to spaciousness?

..WHAT is "to early" in a lateral reflection?

..HOW is imaging "ruined" by a lateral reflection?

As for naivete - the result is always going to be an art (even if the means to get to that point are a science). A directive system at higher freq.s like you produce has it's own favorable AND detrimental results. It's every bit as much "tailoring" the sound as a variety of other designs. ;)

What's tough to understand about the two vertical plots?

I meant the original one and not to understand - to read

Who said floor reflections are a problem (or are a problem that can't be compensated for)?

How can You compensate for floor reflection as a localisation cue of the loudspeaker as a real sound source separate from virtual sound source?

I meant the original one and not to understand - to read

How can You compensate for floor reflection as a localisation cue of the loudspeaker as a real sound source separate from virtual sound source?

I thought it was pretty easy to read.. but of course, that's me. :D

I don't think, nor have experienced, floor reflections as a localization cue of the loudspeaker. Now bounded diffraction at mid freq.s can sometimes do this - but even then (in my experience) this is rare. The obvious solution there is just to lift the loudspeaker off the floor. (..though you'll also loose some midbass support and compression doing so.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.