Acoustic reflectors and piston drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's some data for the equalized "double cone":

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The problem with this device and/or driver is lots of resonances:

Not sure if this is worth pursuing.

Here's some data for the equalized "double cone":

The problem with this device and/or driver is lots of resonances:

Not sure if this is worth pursuing.

It's remarkable for a single full-range driver, but I don't think it's ever going to be "it".

On the other hand I think some of the effort of the design could well be beneficial.

For instance the overall uniformity of pressure loss off-axis from 1-4 kHz is pretty good, not excellent (that 1.8 kHz artifact needs some work), but still pretty good when you consider that this range posses difficulties with larger drivers.

Below 1 kHz (and particularly below 700 Hz) you can improve the uniformity with a leaky vent on the same baffle as the driver but at its "rear" (considering it's a radial design). This will of course limit it's usefulness as freq.s decrease.

Above 4 kHz - well, that's always going to be a problem (at least with regard to a uniform drop in pressure off-axis, and overall linearity). I think you'll have to transition to another driver(s) to get something more uniform. (..even then though, the response is still pretty good on an absolute-level to more than 10kHz.)

I wonder what it looks like when you eq. it on the dominate axis you listen to?

Last edited:
I let a DCX2496 do the heavy lifting (878Hz, -9.6dB, Q1.8; 1.88kHz, 11.2dB, Q2.83; 2.44, -10.5dB, Q7.9) and then run it through Audyssey MultEQ which does a pretty good job at speaker correction. After that, the speaker sounds pretty good.

A smaller fullrange driver would probably help with the 1.9kHz region but then we're talking about a two-way design which brings in additional complexity.
There are also traditional two-ways that are even more omni: audio blog: Review of Polar graphs

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.