Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 10:55 PM   #2491
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
sorry here's the pudated pics the previous post was too smalll

pic 1
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/212/o2groundlead4.jpg

pic 2
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8...ackwiring5.jpg

the scond picture it shows the ground..is that where i'm supposed to solder in the wire to ground it to the case?

fyi, nwavguy's article says its important to ground it to the case to reduce noise and humm
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:59 PM   #2492
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
sorry here's the pudated pics the previous post was too smalll

pic 1
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/212/o2groundlead4.jpg

pic 2
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8...ackwiring5.jpg

the scond picture it shows the ground..is that where i'm supposed to solder in the wire to ground it to the case?

fyi, nwavguy's article says its important to ground it to the case to reduce noise and humm
I'm intending to do this one day myself but so far I've rarely been troubled by noise or hum, ungrounded.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 04:11 AM   #2493
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Turbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South
There seems to be something wrong with my ODA/ODAC combo since there is quite some hiss accompanying the music :-( It's as a radio station slightly out of tuning.

I just got the ODAC last evening so I haven't had any opportunity yet to troubleshoot.
My first move will be to get the combo out of the box to eliminate ground problems...

Only hissing, no hum.

Brgds
__________________
These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 08:06 AM   #2494
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
There seems to be something wrong with my ODA/ODAC combo since there? is quite some hiss accompanying the music :-( It's as a radio station slightly out of tuning.

I just got the ODAC last evening so I haven't had any opportunity yet to troubleshoot.
My first move will be to get the combo out of the box to eliminate ground problems...

Only hissing, no hum.

Brgds
Is your 'ODA' using RS specified parts or modded? And have you done the grounding as described by RS?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 08:42 AM   #2495
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Turbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South
Yes lorriman, everything up to specs...
__________________
These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 07:00 PM   #2496
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
In order to ground it, can I just use an electrical tape to keep the wire in contact with the ground circuit silvery thingy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 01:51 AM   #2497
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hi, I am new here. :-)

I am putting an O2 parts list on mouser.com. I have a couple questions.

For J1, Is 163-7620E-E the replacement for the obsolete 163-7620E?

For transformer, is 412-218054 better than WAU16-400 because it higher in voltage and amp?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 06:43 AM   #2498
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: http://binged.it/ukmr5Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
In order to ground it, can I just use an electrical tape to keep the wire in contact with the ground circuit silvery thingy?
You want to solder it to the ground post on the underside of the audio jack like RS did it. Electrical tape won't give you what you want. Also, you want to scour the part of the case it will contact as well as the wre end that's touching the case. The screwed in front plate will apply enough pressure... much better than electrical tape. So don't solder that part.

It would be OK to use the lead wire from a resistor or capacitor as you previously questioned, but beware that you only get a few bends out of that kind of wire before it snaps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 06:52 AM   #2499
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: http://binged.it/ukmr5Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by litster View Post
Hi, I am new here. :-)

I am putting an O2 parts list on mouser.com. I have a couple questions.

For J1, Is 163-7620E-E the replacement for the obsolete 163-7620E?

For transformer, is 412-218054 better than WAU16-400 because it higher in voltage and amp?

Thanks.
The replacement power receptacle you listed is your best option, but beware that the blades are a bit larger so they will need to be filed or vertically crimped to fit in the PCB holes.

Also, the unloaded voltage of that Xicon AC adapter is 21V. Just think about that for a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 02:32 PM   #2500
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Turbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South
OK.
1: Take out your O2 PCB from the box. Get rid of the front panel.
2: Take the batteries out.
3: Find something as thick as the slots in the box.
4: Take whatever measure you like to keep the odac connected to the space below the batteries with component side down. I used tape that is adhesive on both sides. The tape is made for rugs/mats I believe.
5: Now this is the tricky part... We need new front and back panels that fits a O2/odac combo where the box itself has been turned upside down and the oda goes into slot 2 and the odac into slot 1 counted from the new bottom. I got rid of the Al structure in the middle of the box not to interfere with the inductor which is othervise in contact with the box.
6: The frontplate - all holes must move 2mm's up.
7: I have done this on my own but I don't have the measurements at hand. Just Put the odac into slot 1 and measure the distance to the usb hole...

I will buy a few If anyone else is interested in a fitting combo and someone wants to get this happening... Otherwise I'll make my own but since the ones for O2 was much better than I'll ever could produce I'll rather see that someone made a GB out of this!

This way you will have it all - O2 and ODAC in a B2 enclosure with batteries :-)

Brgds

BTW: I confess - I took some electricians tape to be sure the regulators won't shortcut to the lower top in the box...
__________________
These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Last edited by Turbon; 9th June 2012 at 02:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headphone amp project grahamfocal Headphone Systems 7 21st June 2011 05:28 PM
My latest project - DAC + headphone amp gmarsh Digital Line Level 105 13th December 2010 02:31 PM
My headphone amp project trifidmaster Headphone Systems 2 22nd December 2008 03:52 PM
Mini Ipod headphone amp DIY project Nordic Headphone Systems 14 11th March 2007 02:35 PM
Need help for a battery headphone amp project dismalonyx Headphone Systems 1 15th April 2004 11:22 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2