High Performance WM8741 Upsampling DAC New Version - Group buy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2011, 03:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default High Performance WM8741 Upsampling DAC New Version - Group buy

I am offering group buy for the new version of super compact Wolfson WM8741 Mini DAC PCB. You can make your own high performance
upsampling DAC using this PCB at home. The DAC offers total flexibility. The DAC works in both hardware and software mode. In software mode the DAC works in 2-wire I2C interface and can be controlled using Arduino UNO. The digital receivers can be swapped. The upsampling rate of the ASRC can be changed. The mini DAC has USB and coaxial inputs with I2S Data switching. The DAC has built-in headphone amplifier also. The DAC works on a 6v or 7.5V 750mA regulated power supply. The PCB is a double-sided FR4 PCB. The PCB size is about 110 mm (l) x 67 mm (b). BOM, component layout, schematic and for easy assembling will be provided with the board. Buyers will receive 3 PCBs in one set, one main DAC board and two ancilliary boards. All components are easily available.

The enclosure can be bought from here

Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -4.33"*2.87"*1.85"(L*W*H)

Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -4.33"*2.87"*1.85"(L*W*H)

Both the aluminium enclosures are a perfect fit for the DAC board. The cost per set of boards is $45 + $10 worldwide shipping. Those who are interested can PM with number of boards required. I will start processing the order once a minimum order of 25 is reached.

The 2D screen shot of the PCB is given below

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 17th December 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi heartwinter!

Do you have more info on how to control it with the Arduino UNO?

Brgds
Old 17th December 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You can interface the dac with arduino through 2-wire serial control mode. I will provide you with all details including connection diagram and code. You will also need to buy a I2C level shifter board for interfacing the dac with arduino.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

An update to the above posting. Buyers will be recieving a I2C level shifter board also at no extra cost for interfacing the DAC with arduino UNO board if the buyers intended to use the board in software mode. So there will be 4 boards altogether in one set, main dac board, digital receiver1 board, digital receiver2 board and I2C level shifter board. The level shifter pcb 2D shot is given below

Old 18th December 2011, 11:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi Heartwinter,

How many levels of the digital filter will this control ?
Have you settled in on one setting you like best and can this be hardwired ,if you don't use the adjustments,
Does this board sound any different than the first board or is this one just more flexible to interfaces?
The first board is still rocking everyday sounding good!
I came off the dac with transformers for a balanced out sounds GREAT!
Thanks,

Last edited by noSmoking; 18th December 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: posted at the same time
Old 18th December 2011, 12:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

In hardware mode there are only three digital filters available. In software mode there are lot of filter settings. I haven't changed anything in the IV conversion section but in the new board you will have lot options like you can change the digital receivers, you can change the upsampling rate of the ASRC. There is an inbuilt headphone amp which has output drive current of 220 to 250 ma. In the hardware mode it will work as the old one but still you have options to change few things and experiment and see the difference. Very easy and very cheap to build.
Old 19th December 2011, 01:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I also have a finished wm8741 upsampling super mini DAC from the previous version. If anyone interested can PM me. It will work on 7.5V regulated power supply. Power supply will not be included, buyers have to arrange for their own power supply.

Old 19th December 2011, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The interchangeable digital audio interface receiver used are DIR9001 and WM8804. In case buyers want only one digital audio interface receiver they can let me know their preference. There will be a reduction of $8 from the total price.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for those who have already placed the order for the boards. I will process all orders ASAP.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:37 PM   #10
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartwinter View Post
In hardware mode there are only three digital filters available. In software mode there are lot of filter settings. I haven't changed anything in the IV conversion section but in the new board you will have lot options like you can change the digital receivers, you can change the upsampling rate of the ASRC. There is an inbuilt headphone amp which has output drive current of 220 to 250 ma. In the hardware mode it will work as the old one but still you have options to change few things and experiment and see the difference. Very easy and very cheap to build.
good luck you didnt try doing that, its a voltage output DAC chip, there is no I to convert to V.

looks like a neat little unit though, so kudos for that; pretty sure that was just a slip anyway, many people call a buffer on a voltage out dac an IV stage out of habit

Last edited by qusp; 22nd December 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!