• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

My DCB1 has around 17v at the main filter capacitor. But bear in mind that you will need higher value capacitors, they are maybe too small for both the power amp and the preamp at the same time.
Reached that point, why tapping it from the main supply caps? Why not adding another bridge and filter capacitors to the trafo and supply it independant?
The advantage would be to take the supply from the shunt regulator. If it won't be possible, there is no advantage of taking it from the filter caps.

ok, thanks. I might just do that (add a bridge and filter caps) to power the t-amp independently from the dcb1.

Do you think the T-amp would benefit from a shunt regulated power supply?
I don't know, I haven't read very much about T-amps. Is sure has a different topology than what I am used to, so you should read elsewhere about T-amps powered by regulators, and their performance.

Regards,
Regi

I am probably late to join this group buy as I have just discovered this thread. I need some time to read and understand more about the details. Before that it probably help by asking a quick question to Tea-Bag that if I still have chance to join the group to buy two Mezmerize boards and four Hypnotize basic boards. I know the two Mezmerize boards will be good for two channels RCA inputs. I am not sure if the four Hypnotize boards will be good for me to build another stereo with balanced input.

regards,

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi arrow,
The Hypnotize boards can build a stereo channel. The same with a mesmerize except it has relay inputs. The mesmerize is out of production, the hypnotize there is a sign up list for under my signature. The mesmerize we might do a another run if the interest for enough boards is there. Likely the production of them will cease.
The new hypnotize has been hinted about, but is similiar to old hypnotize, with more spacing for more and larger caps, to-220 diodes, uses 2oz copper, and more importantly will be blue in color. You can read more about the older types on my blog.
Salas and I will update more soon about the newer Hypnotize design.

Dear Tea-Bag,
Thanks for the quick reply. The more I read this thread, the more I like both Hypnotize and Mesmerize. The Mesmerize board on its own is more like a completed pre-amp (unity gain) with multiple switches for inputs. The Hypnotize can serve not only for B1 but also other uses for small current applications.
It sounds good with the new 'Blue Edition' Hypnotize. Can I sign up for six of those boards? I am going to use them not only for B1 but also to upgrade the power supply of my D/A and active crossovers. Please let me know if I can join the new group buy?

thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good start

Tea Bag has started testing the Blue Edition board. So far every part goes in well and it works without noises. Its very early, no proper testing yet, but its progress.

Attachments

• BlueBack.jpg
    BlueBack.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 514
  • DCB1powerSupplyOn.jpg
    DCB1powerSupplyOn.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 504
  • functioningDCB1BE.jpg
    functioningDCB1BE.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 485
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Tea Bag has started testing the Blue Edition board. So far every part goes in well and it works without noises. Its very early, no proper testing yet, but its progress.

Hi, things have changed but the AC wiring crossing the TO220 diodes is not pretty. That Phoenix connector should have moved to the side long ago. Still 2 jumpers and a narrow spot for the ground tracks ( too picky, I know ).

Just a thought: when all MOSFETs are brought to one side mounting them will be more easy on a heatsink or cabinet/case. It will leave possibilities for the AC wiring too. In my eyes the layout is somewhat less optimal/tidy than before, I am sorry to say so. Or at least I don't see many advantages over the old boards except for the caps and the TO220 diodes. I won't start about the color of the board ...

Maybe the marketing department should have advised to design just a general purpose shunt supply board from xx mA to xx A without the buffer part ;) Omitting the buffer part, putting all MOSFETs to one side and using a 6 pin Phoenix ( 2 x +, 2 x - and 2 x GND ) at the power output for feeding more than 1 circuit certainly would be nice additions. The board would then be a truly versatile shunt supply PCB.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi, things have changed but the AC wiring crossing the TO220 diodes is not pretty. That Phoenix connector should have moved to the side.

Just a thought: when all MOSFETs are brought to one side mounting them will be more easy on a heatsink or cabinet. It will leave possibilities for the AC wiring too. In my eyes the layout is less optimal/tidy than before, I am sorry to say so. Or at least I don't see many advantages over the old boards. I won't start about the color of the board...

I thought about running the wires in via the middle of it.
I am not sure why it makes any difference, being this is where normally Ac/Dc takes place. I get no hum or nothing with even headphones on, so it's promising to me.

Time to build another case, the Nichicon FG caps are a bit taller than the other's I was using. I've got a IE tranny I am considering using as well.

I've heard substantial differences swapping resistors on the DCB1 portion of the circuit, so I went all out and purchased some nice one's. I had a $100 gift card from work, so i thought I would blow it on parts.:D