• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Ya I was just wanting to get up to speed. Usually post #1 would be the go to place to get an overview of the project. I saw people talking about hyno, hypno and mesmerize on the last couple of pages... just wondering what the differences between them were? I take it they will all be replaced with this hot-rodded hynotize version?

I didn't realize it needed a 50VA transformer. I am confused because I thought it could run without heatsinks. So is that true or is current/power draw really quite high?

Tea-Bag didn't point me to a thread but I guess you mean this one. It's 145 pages so... I guess I should start now :smash:

Ya I was just wanting to get up to speed. Usually post #1 would be the go to place to get an overview of the project. I saw people talking about hyno, hypno and mesmerize on the last couple of pages... just wondering what the differences between them were? I take it they will all be replaced with this hot-rodded hynotize version?

I didn't realize it needed a 50VA transformer. I am confused because I thought it could run without heatsinks. So is that true or is current/power draw really quite high?

Tea-Bag didn't point me to a thread but I guess you mean this one. It's 145 pages so... I guess I should start now :smash:

The difference between the two is the Mezmerize version has relays to select up to six different inputs. The Hypnotize has a single source input on the PCB. It's questionable that there will be anymore of the Mezmerize boards ordered. Not enough people asking for them with the group buy. But the schematic is in the thread if you want to build that option.

You do not have to use a 50VA transformer for this pre-amp. I think that the reason for it is more a question of over-building the power supply. But I could be mistaken. The Hypnotize that I have built runs quite cool at idle.

Last edited:
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mr.duck - that's basically it. Hypnotize was single input, Mesmerize was 6 input, relay switched, with space for a potentiometer. Now both replaced by this "hot rod" Hypnotize in the works. Original idea ran small CCS current, without need for 'sinks. Cool guys these days running heavy shunt current with a resistor change, appropriate heat sinks or bolted to floor. Must be the mother of all buffers, Nelson's original concept raised through the roof with killer supplies, and no caps in the path. Build it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Regi:

On the projected ''blue'' there are four positions for 10mm lead pitch snap-in caps plus 7.5mm option, and space around, so to fit favorite little monsters.

The 4700uF proved to still hold around 200mA but if you can fit any higher value 7.5mm lead pitch that the classic pcb supports, is rather welcome when hot rod.

we have been here before, discussing VA requirement.

A 3.6VA 15-0-15Vac transformer has a maximum continuous AC current of 120mAac.

When fed into a capacitor input filter the maximum continuous DC current rating becomes 60mAdc after applying the voltage and de-rating factor.
Taking 60mAdc from the 3.6VA transformer will make it run as hot as taking 120mAac from it.
If the relay draws some extra current and the LED draws some extra current and the CCS control draws some extra current then the 60mAdc of the shunt regulator will overload a 3.6VA transformer.

Many builders suggest and I support that body of opinion that the transformer should be rated so that continuous DC load is ~50% of the maximum rated DC current.

This would require a 9VA 15-0-15 transformer for a 60mA CCS Shunt regulator.

This is quite different from most transformer duty.
In amplifiers and such equipment the transformer runs much of the time at <10% of it's rating and copes admirably with short term peak currents that are upto and even in excess of it's maximum rating. That does not apply with a CCS+Shunt regulator.

In amplifiers and such equipment the transformer runs much of the time at <10% of it's rating and copes admirably with short term peak currents that are upto and even in excess of it's maximum rating. That does not apply with a CCS+Shunt regulator.
Something like in class A amplifiers? I mean in the sense that all the time there is almost the same constant consumption.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The reason is we made it shooting for very good subjective quality. A 50VA isn't that expensive, its a typically much available rating and gave it space to play with higher CCS also. This is constant draw bias and cores sweat much easier. So we chose big. I would run it from 2 300VA R-Core even with 2A per side CCS, and nude Z foil signal path resistors if it was my fixation. Tight point to point air dielectric construction with solid silver hook up wire, monoblock 1.2 remote sensed regs, LSPD pot. But I am not that fixed.:D

The reason is we made it shooting for very good subjective quality. A 50VA isn't that expensive, its a typically much available rating and gave it space to play with higher CCS also. This is constant draw bias and cores sweat much easier. So we chose big. I would run it from 2 300VA R-Core even with 2A per side CCS, and nude Z foil signal path resistors if it was my fixation. Tight point to point air dielectric construction with solid silver hook up wire, monoblock 1.2 remote sensed regs, LSPD pot. But I am not that fixed.:D

lol that sounds wonderful :D. I am still working through the other thread, Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer, so I must be more annoying and ask, is there any subjective improvement in sound quality reported or any technical reason why using such over sized transformers would be beneficial? Also, does a high bias current have much affect on sound quality ?

Last edited: