• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
IMO it would be advisable to rethink the changes and make the design simply better than the previous versions for its specific purposes:

I am not talking to bend the variations in favor of my personal favorite Mezmerize but maybe the focus could be sharper:

- A combined (scorable) mezmerize/hypnotize optimized version 2.0 with some more possibilities as 4 caps, TO220 diodes etc. for those that want the buffer part the best possible way and for those that like the input selection with relays too. So one board with scorable part concerning the input selection/volume control.

- A separate universal shunt supply PCB for those that won't use the buffer part anyway. Wider tracks for larger currents, more space for larger resistors that come with more current etc. To me it seems that will be the primary purpose for this particular board anyway but I could be wrong on that of course.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, things have changed but the AC wiring crossing the TO220 diodes is not pretty. That Phoenix connector should have moved to the side long ago. Still 2 jumpers and a narrow spot for the ground tracks ( too picky, I know ).

Just a thought: when all MOSFETs are brought to one side mounting them will be more easy on a heatsink or cabinet/case. It will leave possibilities for the AC wiring too. In my eyes the layout is somewhat less optimal/tidy than before, I am sorry to say so. Or at least I don't see many advantages over the old boards except for the caps and the TO220 diodes. I won't start about the color of the board ...

Maybe the marketing department should have advised to design just a general purpose shunt supply board from xx mA to xx A without the buffer part ;) Omitting the buffer part, putting all MOSFETs to one side and using a 6 pin Phoenix ( 2 x +, 2 x - and 2 x GND ) at the power output for feeding more than 1 circuit certainly would be nice additions. The board would then be a truly versatile shunt supply PCB.

Its all CRT could muster. It has the TO-220 diodes, the 10mm double snap in caps, takes big current Rset resistors, and caters for any type/value Vref cap. So it takes all the proven mods.
About the parts side color maybe they can do a mask strong blue also. They did not do more in the proto phase. If not, we will see options. Its 3 times heavier copper and plated holes and takes parts OK non the less.
Using it for universal supply only its a whole different thing. Would need Norton references to give a whole range with trimmers and remote sensing for addressing longer distances well.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
AFAIK the current Hypnotize is used by some people for just the supply part without all the bells and whistles (like Norton references to give a whole range with trimmers and remote sensing for addressing longer distances). There is also a thread about using the supply part for other voltages/currents isn't it ?

Do not take my words too seriously as I don't mean to spoil the party. IMO a new version shouldn't have the same minor things that the old one had.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ha ha, I like your reasoning Salas. When I put an engine on my bicycle it will be a motorcycle too ;)

Seriously,a classic switch doesn't make a Hypnotize a Mezmerize as switching with relays is superior to a mechanical switch with less crosstalk but this is going off topic...

I won't interfere anymore but I thought it could be good to point out to maintain a sharp focus on the project.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As for supply only, if this one will succeed, we are talking 3 generations ahead. And I mean to succeed as a board. Because it works point to point for enough people already and the feedback on resolution and tone is awesome.

Attachments

• Salas LED - Bipolar.gif
    Salas LED - Bipolar.gif
    82.4 KB · Views: 417
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As for supply only, if this one will succeed, we are talking 3 generations ahead. And I mean to succeed as a board. Because it works point to point for enough people already and the feedback on resolution and tone is awesome.

I am glad you point this out as many will want to wait for this version as a general purpose shunt supply (that suddenly exists). You see, communication is important !

IMO, Mesmerize should :RIP:

Why ? It still is a good design that can be built much more tidy than most Hypnotize versions I've seen. Allow me to think you probably make a small thinking error by thinking that more demand for the simple version says that the Mez is less popular. As said before, I know that people buy Hypnotize boards to use them just for the supply part which could very well explain the higher demand.... Most people that just wanted a complete buffer have bought their Mez PCB's and made them and enjoy them. They won't buy a second version contrary to people that use the Hyp board for more than one purpose/device.

And what is the fuss about the color ? Does it sound better in blue ? :D I feel more for tracks that don't come off easily instead of debating about the color of the tracks.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If there is need for more Mez, people can sign up. If it breaks 100 mark we can ask for a production run of the classic Mez in heavy copper, plated holes, red color.

Since it was already announced several times that it is out of production I think this news comes too late. That is the thing with sales; if the seller himself announces a new version or that the old one should die like in post 2027 the seller should not expect that any new customers will order that particular existing product. New = better -> you know what I mean.

I am sure if you would announce a new Mez version with wider double gold cladded tracks, 4 caps, TO220 diodes, Ko-On/Lightspeed volume potentiometer and in pink color as that is THE color for summer 2010 it would sell again and probably even more than the simple version that still is .. a simple version ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I think we are going to argue as it can be done but still there was said it was out of production and that the last ones were available. That alone is enough for public opinion.

But we are going from left to right in this discussion. It started with me thinking that the blue version will IMO be used for the supply part. Now you told a real "supply only" version will exist demand for the blue version will stabilize if I am assuming correctly. We wait and see.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I leave it except when it will be made for real! I could not care less about the color to be honest.

I suppose most have a problem with that Alps RK27 or they just love making those godawful wire nests otherwise I can't explain why people prefer a simple version (while choosing the non simple road for source selection/volume control with that same simple version)

Goodnight

Last edited:
Jean-paul, remember that this is a GB for a DC coupled preamp with excelent performace. If we wanted a PSU group buy, we would have done that, making a proper and optimized board for that purpose.
We have the versatility that it can be used too just as a PSU, but it is not the main idea.

Regarding the Mezmerize, is had less demand than Hypnotize in the last GB, so I can't see anything strange in not offering a multiple-input option. Some of us only use one source for audio, so no need to use a bigger board. And, as Salas said, there was a column in the spreadsheet for signing up for the Mez version, but people preferred the simpler approach. It's just a problem of lack of demand. Being only a bunch of customers, each board would have a very high price, leaving even less customers than before knowing the price.

I don't think Salas is against the multiple input version. But if there's no demand, what else can he do?

BTW, this regulator board looks impressive Salas ;)

Jean-paul, remember that this is a GB for a DC coupled preamp with excelent performace. If we wanted a PSU group buy, we would have done that, making a proper and optimized board for that purpose.
We have the versatility that it can be used too just as a PSU, but it is not the main idea.

Regarding the Mezmerize, is had less demand than Hypnotize in the last GB, so I can't see anything strange in not offering a multiple-input option. Some of us only use one source for audio, so no need to use a bigger board. And, as Salas said, there was a column in the spreadsheet for signing up for the Mez version, but people preferred the simpler approach. It's just a problem of lack of demand. Being only a bunch of customers, each board would have a very high price, leaving even less customers than before knowing the price.

I don't think Salas is against the multiple input version. But if there's no demand, what else can he do?

BTW, this regulator board looks impressive Salas ;)

Hyptnotize is much than fine for me!