• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Destroyer x Amplifier DX HDII version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You welcome Mongo.... the phase advance idea, from Sansuí

sometimes can produce harsh if you have too big level of treble.

The treble booster capacitor is not really needed.... was my need because of my speakers..now a days the speaker problem is already fixed.

The treble booster capacitor do not accept musics that already have too big treble level, and can be a problem... i suggest, if not needed to your system, not to use them.

You can reduce those 470 ohms to lower value.... even to 100 ohms if you prefere... also the parallel capacitor can go to 22N or 27N and will work fine.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos,
We got mail... from South Africa!
All goods at hand and in perfect shape!!
Start your soldering iron!!!
:cloud9:

========================================================================

Nordic
Before heading to my office this morning, I went to the post office to pick up my (Carlos') goods.
Everything arrived perfectly packaged and labeled - it could not be done any better.
Kudos to you!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Ahahahha...... 600 grames with heatschrink!!!

thank you Nordic...i am sure there's surprises inside...and Duda will be kind not to tell me.

He told me a lot of things he is packing to me...but for sure he will respect your desire of surprise.

ahahahah...i hate surprises...but i like you..so....no problem..kein problem.

I am very happy..for sure i am..... package arrived into Duda's hands... so.... he will come to Brasil and next 18 or 19 it will into my hands... this Christmas will be fine.

Daugther already send an old digital camera to me...so...while the Canon is under repair i will have something that will be helpfull.

We have our National Air Company once more..... Varig!

thank you.... nice news...nice news!...yessssssss!

Carlos

Attachments

• dsc00213.jpg
    dsc00213.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 345
I think we do not have this.... the automobiles use plugs, male and female

And covering them, another rubber plugs, those ones attach one to the other...watter do not enters there.

I never had informs we have that stuff here.... we are delayed related that..and this surprises me.... we have heavy industries, electronic industries, automobile industries.... all home appliances..all stuff... we import turbines for airplanes and some turbines for Hidraulic Energy Generation...but even having a nice level of technology installed into the country...chips factories, semiconductors factories too.... we do not have those things.

Also we do not have a lot of things USA has related internal home stuff..our homes are made using bricks, cement, sand, ceramic floors and ceiling cover, aluminium to windows, concrete and plastic paint..we do not use wood!

Ahahahah... all imported to Beverly hills.... i was there and i could see "Wood from Amazon"... was so shocking to me, and the first time i felt a Nationalist feeling... was sad...the wood was beeing used to internal frame to the rich guy's houses...not the outside nice polished thing...only for internal extructures...frame.... aaagh!...baaaaah!.... grrrrrr!

I was shocked.... i found the first tree and i left something there alike a dog!

And i said to myself:

- "here is something for you Sam!.... all wood we have you use... and also complain because wood is finishing into Amazon jungle!"

Not true!.... theres billions and billions of trees.... thousands and thousands of square meters of ground... zillions of litters of good watter.... this will not finish so soon...maybe the polution will finish with us before that.

Awfull that!

regards,

Carlos

Bias Servo

Just would like a bit of clarification on the Bias Servo.... VBE as I'm close to that stage.

Look at the schematic and then at the pic of the VBE layout and they seem like 2 different setups. The layout looks like the one from the orginal DX..... this work OK on the HRII?

Want to make sure I've got it right before adding volts. :hot: I'll double check the resitors for setting the bias.... 10R or 100R?

Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• bias1.jpg
    bias1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 362
Hi Rabz, my bad, still been too all over the place to draw up the new servo boards... will try to finish it by this evening...

But yes, the original servo has been tested on the HRII and works just fine..

well 100R and 10R would likely be usefull useing the larger one first to make sure no smoke flows, the ngo down to high wattage 10R... before power on measure the points marked servo+ and servo- and adjust servo trimpot until it reads 3k, this should put you in a safeish ballpark.

This is not realy adjusting the bias but rather the idleing current, I am still too dumb to get clarification out of carlos's posts what the actual current over the output resistors would be...

For my uses just setting the ideling current worked, if your sink is large enough go for between 1 and 1.5A. If it is too low, somewhere around 300mV, you will see the meter reading drop suddenly as the transistors switch off...

PS, DONT INSERT THE TRANSISTOR PINS INTO THE HOLES, just solder it flat, you will thank me if you ever need to remove the transistor from the boards...

Oh and I saw you used some realy high quality parts over there...

Attachments

• servo.jpg
    servo.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 368
You can adjust both ways dear Nordic...if you go measuring the output transistors

current... the colector to emitter current, you will be sure you have correct bias into those unit's bases...because without that no conduction from colector to emitter...so... as a result, when we measure voltage over some emitter resistance we are sure the unit is conducting, so, it is biased.

When you finish to adjust, measuring voltage over emitter resistances, into the power stage of course, you will have the optimized bias... the current will be around 50 to 60 miliamperes maximum into the positive rail.

You bias adjustment will "cause" current flow into the output stage... you will make the output drivers and power units start to conduct.... so... the "effect"...or the "consequence"...the result of your action will be output stage conducting...measuring the emitter resistance..over it...one lead into one of the resistance extreme and the other into the free resistance extreme, you will measure voltage.... and the voltage is the consequence of the current flowing...and this is what we want...to make output conduct...and if you install more than one output pair, this method turns even more important, to be sure that all them will be conducting.

If not biased into conduction, the audio will force it to conduct... and this will produce noises of switching into the transistors... into low level of audio you will have trash into the audio signal..spurious signals bothering the quality of audio... the unit will operate with the output in class B... that means ...no bias...no conduction... output transistors not working, switched off, no operating....cutted, non conducting... this is bad.... so.... check emitter resistances when you have them.... a safe check...or... adjust your amplifier ONLY, measuring there and providing 5 miliamps or less to each output transistor.

Class AB means that the output will receive some energy to force the output stage to conduct current... transistors are "on"... conducting current from colector to emitter.

regards,

Carlos

Thanks Nordic and Carlos.

I'm an amp dummy and only build, so all the technical jargon goes in and straight out. I need to have instructions stamped on my forehead. ;) OCD doesn't help.

Nordic... it's given me an opportunity to use up some of my go faster bits as this is my last amp, so anything laying around of suitable value is being used.

Hopefully should have it fired up in a few days.

YEEE HAAA!!!!

Boards arrived yesterday -- very, very nice!

And all the cool extras too! -- Thanks Nordic.

And thanks Ed and of course Carlos.

I will keep you all posted on my progress -- sadly I don't have a digital camera right now. Hmmm; my ex-girlfriend has one I can borrow, we are still friends.

Invite her to came to produce pictures...ahahahaha.

each two hours you can call her.... i use the trick here...it works!

Ex is always a doubt... can turn a friend.... ethernal ex..or future girl friend.

Hummmmm... friends....maybe...hehe

Love is the big magic of our lives.... tell her, continuously that you love her... better than that...prove that.... call her to produce pictures... to inspect your appartment cleaning... to give opinions about each frame you put into the wall..... tell that she is a valuable friend... tell that you do not bother is she wants to have a new boy friend...say that you do not bother..you just want to "kill" him.. even beeing just a little.

I had three marriages.... thinking to go to the fourth.... 93 girls friends from 18 to 25 years old.... i have learned a lot.

When she perceive you decided that she is "really" a friend..she will try to change that sittuation.

Women is very strange...do not follow logics.... follow your heart..better chances with her.... need a lot of patience... and never give up... nature is showing us how to get them (girls)..never give up... go clearly showing your interest... mixed with some losses of interest too (ahahahah).... have to adjust bias slowly.... to check off set... to return and to measure all VBEs... have to wait to see if you have bias temperature drift.... with women is the same..... maybe they are transistorized.

Maybe you have finished with the relatioship (bad business..if not have another love... to replace by nothing is bad business)..... but if she try... she can catch you once more...twice more..or for ever if she was competent.

They love to be loved.... be very ridiculous.... go to her feet... this works..worked all my life...and related that i was very sucessfull....over your knees man!

Last week i invite my ex wife to inspect wall papper into a nearby hotel.... was great!.... but i do not remember the wall paper colour.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• img_1575.jpg
    img_1575.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 293
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Treble modifications

We have some suggested modifications in the treble enhancment circuit and I would like to make sure I understood correctly:

destroyer X said:

You can reduce those 470 ohms to lower value.... even to 100 ohms if you prefere... also the parallel capacitor can go to 22N or 27N and will work fine.

Carlos, I think you are referring to R7 and R21 in Nordic's "official" schematic. Do the changes you suggest provide better sound than the 470 ohm resistors and 100n capacitor's? What parts should we order?

Nordic suggested changing R18 and 19 from 390 each to 200 ohm each. I prefer my amp to be neutral (no treble enhancement). Could I just use one 400 (or existing 390) ohms resistor and jumper for the other with no capacitor?

R18 and R20 control the gain..better not to change before some try using your audio

source... your prefered audio source....you will see if will need to increase one of them, or decrease.

If your audio source was too much for the power amplifier, too much level, distorting at less than half volume...then increase one of those resistances... they are in series..so... 390 plus 390 this means 780 ohms total..... you can increase to reduce the amplifier sensitivity.... only when you have already distortion when your pré amplifier (or other audio source) start to saturate your power amplifier with half volume or less than that... distortions cannot start with less than 75% of the volume knob .... you may have 25 percent of the range starting some distortion to allow you compensate some music that has naturally less audio level.

Of course...the opposite can happen.... you can put all volume into your pré amplifier, or other audio source and the amplifier do not start to distort..also not reaching maximum power...then you have to reduce those resistances..one of them....or both of them..this will increase your sensitivity.

The 15N capacitor, the treble booster was used because i like...because i had speaker with bad treble...not so loud.... because of that i included...but really not needed in many systems..depending your speaker and home furnitures....you can use it or remove it...make a test using it and remove it to check if you like.... dessolder only one side to test that.

The phase advancing system, idea from Sansui, really sounds excelent, increasing some brigth into high frequencies...but...can produce harshes if your audio source program (type of music) already has enormous quantity of trebles, in special high end trebles (from 8 to 14 Kilohertz).... you can use Nordic suggestion that will work fine...will be more neutral....or even remove the capacitors C12 and C14... also you can decide the resistances R7 and R21... they can go from 100 ohms to 470 ohms...your choice.

If you do not want to decide those things...if you prefere to follow our instructions ..follow Nordic indications and suggestions, because he have tested, also using many speakers and he is someone i can trust and you too.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.