Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2005, 12:56 AM   #31
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
And a gratuitous rear shot. Please notice my classy use of 3' lengths of freebie CAT5 remainders for speaker wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg office max 03.jpg (21.6 KB, 1579 views)
Old 22nd December 2005, 07:57 AM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kensai
And a gratuitous rear shot. Please notice my classy use of 3' lengths of freebie CAT5 remainders for speaker wire.
You should try a single pair out of the bundle -- better if you untwist them.

dave
Old 22nd December 2005, 08:03 AM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kensai
This is a close up of the driver. You can almost make out the OfficeMax logo on that center binder clip at the top.
Are the cones aluminum or just painted... You'd get better horizonal disepersion and a wider sweet spot with more extended top if you rotated them 90 degrees.

Look like a good candidate for phase plugs

dave
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:04 PM   #34
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
I'm actually using one wire from each pair for + and the other wire from each pair for -. Sounds just the same as using the 10' lengths of standard 10ga speaker wire that I run in the living room.

They call the cone material "pearl mica P.P." so I'm not exactly sure what its made from. It feels somewhere between a treated paper and propylene.

I had thought that they might do better mounted vertically. I've actually had the fresh pieces foam core to make baffles for that set up for several months now. Just haven't come across the proper time/motivation quotient needed to get me to do the work yet.

I'm interested in trying to mod these with phase plugs. The whizzer is paper, and the dome in its center is about 3/4".

Kensai
Old 28th December 2005, 11:24 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I'm wondering how low these B200 OB mounted go before you get to -3db? See, I'm interested in playing with these, but I don't have the cash for any more than (2) B200 drivers. I do have a HSU Research VTF-2 sub that crosses over up to about 125hz, but I'm not sure if I'm going to leave a big hole in the spectrum trying to do this.

Assuming the these speakers will mate with the above subwoofer, would this system be able to do double duty with home theater as well at moderate levels?
Old 29th December 2005, 05:48 AM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpopgun
I'm wondering how low these B200 OB mounted go before you get to -3db? See, I'm interested in playing with these, but I don't have the cash for any more than (2) B200 drivers. I do have a HSU Research VTF-2 sub that crosses over up to about 125hz, but I'm not sure if I'm going to leave a big hole in the spectrum trying to do this.

Assuming the these speakers will mate with the above subwoofer, would this system be able to do double duty with home theater as well at moderate levels?
Unless you have a tolerance for a very large baffle, the baffle size will limit the reach at the bottom, not the driver.

Relieved of doing bass these should be more than adequate to do HT....

dave
Old 29th December 2005, 04:52 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, so then how do you determine the correct width of the baffle to tune the bass response so that is is easily crossed over to the sub? Adjusting the baffle width is a type of Baffle Step Correction (new concept to me) is it not?

How does width vs height of the baffle play out?

Wait, maybe I shouldn't be asking all these questions. I think I've just about talked myself into a pair of these
Old 1st January 2006, 05:30 AM   #38
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I did some simulation to compare them to my Ciare HX201, they also do well in a 2 meter folded TL.
Old 1st January 2006, 11:54 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

To give one example, a 26" wide baffle will begin to run into baffle-step issues (-3db point) at around 175Hz I believe.
Old 1st January 2006, 11:37 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I always see OB and references to the width of the baffle. What about the height? I would think that both have to be taken into account, but have no idea what the relationship should be.

Hide this!Advertise here!